Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-03-2002, 11:22 AM   #11
chazz
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha FJR1300 Reader Feedback

I did put down a 500$ deposit , and got a price of 10,600 which I think is resonable. A dealer in the south is selling fjr's for under 10,000.
chazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2002, 12:09 PM   #12
ZXnVS
Founding Member

For me the clincher would be the power first, and the price second. Who would pay thousands more for a BMW that's underpowered?
Old 05-03-2002, 02:43 PM   #13
tandapc
Founding Member

Two of my biker friends and I went in last week and posted $500 each for the priority delivery program. That means you'll see us on Quicksilver at Alice's Restraunt this August!!! Eat your hearts out girlies.
tandapc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 06:34 PM   #14
ulhpilot
Registered Member

The Concours has to be the worst motorcycle on the road today. At any price it is useless. My '73 CB350 was more comfortable. Kawa should retire it and put a shaft on the ZZ-R.
ulhpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 09:08 PM   #15
nitrofly
Founding Member

The Aprilia Futura Rocks More.
Old 05-04-2002, 02:32 AM   #16
TigerRider
Founding Member

It's not just a matter of who wins the dyno runs. The BMW's have lots of torque, a big torque curve, and more than enough horsepower. They have the best suspension in the world, in my opinion, and they are perfectly balanced. Have you ridden one? Have you braked mid-corner on a BMW and experienced the Telelever suspension, which keeps the front end from diving? Don't knock it 'til you try it. It's not the nameplate you're paying for, it's the superior motorcycle you get.
TigerRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 02:45 AM   #17
chazz
Founding Member

Costs more, less hp, funky style but a great ride. The fjr is a better deal between two excellent rides
chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 04:20 AM   #18
MG57
Founding Member

I wonder why people continue to compare bikes that are in (mostly) different categories. The Futura resides at the sporting end of the sport-touring continuum (sp) while the FJR is clearly at the touring end of same. While the Yam. has significantly more HP, the Aprilia is ~80 lbs. lighter (540 vs. 620, wet). Not an insignificant amount as long time riders know. Also, the riding positions of these two are totally different. The Yam. is bolt upright while the Futura is much more sporting.

The trade-off is this. The Yam. may be a better very-long distance mount by virtue of wind and weather protection but for me, the Aprilia will be more fun to ride 90% of the time due to its superior handling, excellent low and mid-range torque and even its peak HP of 100 is more than adequate (yields 1/4 mile times in the mid 11's if I'm not mistaken). And it has standard hard bags as well.

I see I have digressed. AFAIC, the FJR should only be compared to the Honda ST1100/1300, BMW R1150RT and the Concours, though I may have overlooked one or two.
MG57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 05:14 AM   #19
dwr461
Founding Member

It appears to be a very nice bike and the local Yamaha dealer will be getting one this year. They also want the previously mentioned deposit on this bike. You can test drive it just as soon as you buy it. That is my problem with the dealer not the bike. I won't buy a pair of shoes without trying them on my feet. I won't buy a $11,000 bike without test driving it first. I guess that I'll be buying another BMW this year as they will let me drive it before I buy it.

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 05:34 AM   #20
runner00
Founding Member

First I want to complement Yamaha for giving us a bike that's well worth the money.

This is a real world bike that's going to bring a lot of riders a lot of joy.

I will certainly consider this bike for my next purchase.

Let me throw this idea out there though. How about a bike with a fairing thats designed

to be removable, and when it's removed the bike looks just as good. The problem with

a fairing is that when it gets really hot, well then the rider with a fairing is really missing out on something. Or how about a fairing thats designed to let the air in as well as keeping the air out. It seems a shame to have great engineers and not give them a truly challenging task. I think both scenerios could truly be accomplished. This idea is has no bearing on this particular model, just thought I would throw it out there.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote