Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-02-2002, 04:29 PM   #31
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default Price is always an object

I am delighted to see that you put your heart into this article, John. It shows. I have eagerly awaited this comparo. I am in the market for a new bike and considering that you rarely have the opportunity to test ride bikes before you buy them, objective reporting is of tremendous value to me. Honestly? I would love to be in the market for either the Mille R or the 998, but the reality is my wife would come unglued if I spent anything approaching $17 grand on my next two wheeler. Truth be told, if I had $17 cake to spend on my dream bike it would most likely be for the Mv Agusta. But that fact is incidental to my point.

I know that the majority of the postings commenting on this article will include complaints about bikes which weren't included in this test, most notably the 998S, the pedestrian Mille, and the antiquated TL. I suspect that some readers will wonder out loud how any of the bikes would compare to their beloved SV650's and VFR's. I guess we will all contemplate how any of these bikes would stack up against the Open Class fours from Japan. But let's get real for just one moment. To think that a $11k bike can be considered as a competitor to a $17k bike makes it clearly the hands down winner.

I am hoping for a ride report soon covering the Buell XB9R. I would love to read a comparison of the Buell against the Ducati Supersport, the Aprilia Falco, the Honda Superhawk, and the Moto Guzzi LeMans or V11 Sport. One interesting point of this group is that the prices range from $9999 for the Buell to $12,690 for the LeMans. The RC51 fall into this price range and from this perspective, you should have compared the RC51 to the standard Mille ($13,499) and the 748 ($13,495). There is little doubt of who would have been the winner of a RC51/Mille/748 shootout!

Good effort though as there is little to complain about.

DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2002, 05:30 PM   #32
msawyer
Founding Member

Default Re: random stuff

Glad to hear someone else wanting more of a street and general use perspective. I can't be the only guy out there that mainly commutes and goes for weekend joy rides, but still loves a good speed rush. Track days, what's that? Never have or plan to race.

I'm looking to move up from an SV650 for more power (great bike by the way) , but I don't want the race rep neck/wrist ache/leg cramp deal. I also don't have 17K to spend without getting divorces (at which point I would not have any money)

Would a twins for the real world article be of interest to anyone else. Superchicken, Cagiva Rapttor, Vstrom come to mind.

A Fours for the real world comparo would be good too. Bandit1200, FZ1, etc.

How about some article that focus on street use? Too boring?
msawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 05:59 PM   #33
woper
Founding Member

Default mille r for sale!!

2001 Mille R- yellow, all stock, under 3400 miles. Must sell fast. Please reply for pics, info, or specs.
woper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 07:34 PM   #34
Captain_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: How Are the Twins?

JB, I really enjoyed both reviews for different reasons... The first offered personal perspective and was refreshing, the second was the comparative piece most readers expected. The qualitative focus of the first conveyed your real world experience with the Twins -- a clever review for mature readers who know that tech specs and dyno charts can't describe the nuances or soul of the machine in harmony (or discord) with the rider. Part 2 was more objective and offered the opinions of additional testers.

Keep up the good work.

Now if only the Twins had been reviewed fitted with lighter, non-restrictive exhaust and more generous fuel management, the true nature of the beasts would have been exposed.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 09:57 PM   #35
minime
Founding Member

Dyno data would be a great addition to any story. You're absolutely correct! And that's exactly why we include it in stories such as this.

As for the TL-R question, that too was addressed in Part One of this test. If there's anything else you need, feel free to ask. We aim to please.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 11:15 PM   #36
Huss
Founding Member

Default Fuel range.

One thing that may help you decide is the fuel range of the bikes. The RC51 will get about 100 miles before you start sweating it if you ride it as intended, the Mille about 140 miles. Maybe this is of no concern to you, but where I ride I need at least a 130 mile range before I need to look for gas. That to me is the nail in the RC51's coffin; even if it won this test and was deemed the greatest everything, it comes last (on the street) compared to nearly any sportbike out there due to insufficient range. But I'm sure the posers out there who just ride it around town will not care.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 11:36 PM   #37
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default dont forget this

I not long owned a vtr100f -known as a superhawk in the US I think. Its powerful, torquey, steers and handles great especially in tighter going and gives lots of confidence. It's light, built well and comfy. Add some pipes or simple mods (available on the net) and it sounds amazing too.

Cheers.

ps - dont think any of those bikes you're considering would be dogs.
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 03:27 AM   #38
wfowade
Founding Member

Default Re: Fuel range.

Yeah, but in my experience, the fuel warning light is pretty pessimestic. Usually I have a gallon or more to go when the light comes on. But I guess that makes me a poser....

wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 05:24 PM   #39
majmpb
Founding Member

The restrictors are rubber blocks in the ram air tubes. All you need to take them out is a phillips head screwdriver and 10 min. The hole in the restrictors is about the size of a quarter--it really strangles it.

CG
majmpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 11:05 AM   #40
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: Fuel range.

The fuel warning light is pessimistic, I determine range by how much gas is put in when one re-fuels. Then you can accurately work out range. Of course riding style influences mileage.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote