Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-02-2002, 09:33 AM   #21
mph9146
Founding Member

Default Re: random stuff

Yeah, it would be nice to see some other twins in the next comparo. Particularly the Aprilia Falco and XB9R. I've heard rave reviews about both of these bikes, and would appreciate your opinion on them. These twins are a little more affordable for us budget-conscious riders.
mph9146 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2002, 09:38 AM   #22
KPaulCook
Banned

Default We knew you could do it! Excellent article. Looking forward to your new Buell test

Great mix of commentary, observations, and specs. Because I am surrounded by inline 4s it would be nice to have some video and sound (love the V-twin sound). Looking forward to your Buell Firebolt test. Thanks again.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 09:53 AM   #23
majmpb
Founding Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: How Are the Twins?

Did you guys derestrict the duck by taking out the plugs in the Ram Air ducts?

Curious George
majmpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 10:24 AM   #24
12er
Founding Member

Per the review one could read that minus the wheels and suspension bits or the R, the Honda would spank the standard Mille. Now I cant quite remember the list price of the standard mille but I think its about a grand or two more than the Honda. With the price dif you got your trick rear shock and exhaust. Now you have probably near 20 more HP and great supsension. But as it is with Motorcycles its what fires you up that does the trick. Personally Im torn between the two, I really dig the aprilia but the honda I would be equally happy with. Ducati is over played and old in the tooth. Its sexy but like most american cars, running with the same body style for decades before updating. Its grown old on my eyes. That and after riding my brothers tricked out 996 I was happy to hand it back. I didnt feel like I was one with the bike, more like I was on a horse and had to make it do what I wanted. Granted once you forced it into a turn it stayed online like nothing else Ive rode. But pretty much was a torture rack on the street.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 10:28 AM   #25
12er
Founding Member

I assume not, then it wouldnt be a fair test of stock machines. But I know what your talking about. My bro replaced the stock tubes with some carbon fiber units. No restrictions and about 5 lbs lighter on the 996. Dont know what the tubes on the 998 are like since Ive read something changed about them, but nothing specific.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 11:21 AM   #26
gmon
Founding Member

Default Re: random stuff

I was hoping to see something about the Suzuki TL and the Falco, two bikes I'm really big on but don't know which to pick. Open-twin shootout with only 3 bikes isn't much of a shootout no matter how good the article.
gmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 12:20 PM   #27
bluyzfr6
Founding Member

Hackfu said it best..."if money were no object..." Money is always an object even to those with lots of it. It seems the honda is definitely the best bike for the money, which makes it the best bike... Right? Makes me wish i didnt already buy the 02 R1. I agree with the man upstairs as well. This review is much better than the 1st. Take care all and ride safe.
bluyzfr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 01:28 PM   #28
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Re: Come on guys

I'll be damned! Gotta get me an eye exam soon.

Good job on your part, though.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 03:14 PM   #29
granny
Founding Member

Default Good review even compared to Road Racing World.

To quibble a bit, Road Racing World (April issue) shows the Mille R at 463lbs/210kg versus your measurement of 450lbs/204kg. Also, RRW measured the steering stem to seat center for the 998 and Mille R (31.5 in. and 29.9 in. respectively). Good MO article none the less. Using the riders thumbs as a reference point to measure the bars is a nice idea. I assume that the thumb height measurement is not accomplished by measuring the distance with someone actually sitting on the bike since this would of course compress the suspension and thus alter the measured value.

granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 04:27 PM   #30
msawyer
Founding Member

good article, good recovery. Dyno data would be a nice addition.

One question: although an older dog. If the TL1000R was included how would it have compared? Even a short reply would be appreciated.

thanks
msawyer is offline   Reply With Quote