Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-30-2002, 04:41 AM   #81
Eric
Founding Member

Default my pointless bicycle/motorcycle comparison

Granny,

I also ride both bicycles and motorcycles. At one time, I road my bicycle 200+ miles a week, usually with at least one 4+ hour ride a week. I have also done centuries and the occasional race. I ride with about a 2 1/2" drop from my seat to the top of my bars. The brake hoods and drops are obviously lower than that. That being said, comfort-wise I would far prefer 3 hours on a bicycle than three hours on MOST sport bikes. The big advantages of the bicycle are 1) your legs are always moving. My biggest problem, even on my very roomy Buell M2, is my legs getting tired after 3-4 hours in the saddle (especially my knees). 2) Road bike handlebars allow an incredible range of hand positions. Brake hoods, top of the bars, drops, some combination thereof.

Biggest problem with the bicycle is the saddle, but even the right saddle is bearable for long periods.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2002, 04:46 AM   #82
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: Even I do it on occassion...

Go with the feeling Foxy. But keep your sport bike. My first bike was a Honda, followed by a couple of Harley Electra Glides. My wife and I road close to 30,000 miles together the first three years of our marriage and saw an incredible amount of the country. The Harleys was a great way to do it. They, however, did little to satisfy my juvenile need for something quicker. THough there is great satisfaction in flinging a decked out full-dresser through the mountains with a screaming pillion beating on your back while pulling a trailer...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 05:17 AM   #83
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default whoooaaa ... you've got me all wrong.

i think my comments were misconstrued, and for that i apologize. i'm NOT knocking performance bikes. horsepower/lightweight are a fun combo.

but why do manufacturers think it's necessary to bend you into a pretzel to go fast? and why do squids respond to the pretzel posture by offing themselves like lemmings hurling over the cliff of poor judgement? these are puzzles, eh?

as for me, i choose life and i choose to avoid mortgaging my house to pay chiropractor's fees. that means i cruise/tour on a valkyrie tourer (i like harley looks, but i like power/reliability more) and a modified 1200 bandit for when i need a straight shot of of adrenaline.

works for me, but by all means do whatever it takes to rub your own personal buddha. just don't complain when you can no longer walk erect after a three-hour ride. order the finger food and suck it up with your lips.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 05:32 AM   #84
R1TCHIE
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Twins Shootout: The Street

My definition of "apples" would be base-model to base-model; sport-model to sport-model; race-model to race-model. Since there is only a base-model RC-51 (for the public) then that is what they should all be here.
R1TCHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 05:43 AM   #85
R1TCHIE
Founding Member

The 998 to 998S jump includes engine modifications (as well as suspension) where-as the Mille to Mille R retains the same engine and just up-grades the suspension.

To really make 'this' comparo fair, it still requires sticking to base-models if the RC-51 is to be fairly in the mix.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:58 AM   #86
R1TCHIE
Founding Member

Consider this new "mind-set" ! Given the medium we are working in now, you can still salvage EVEN this already posted Part 1 with an addendum to the article ! Isn't this GREAT stuff !!! WELCOME ABOARD J.B.

Old 04-30-2002, 08:23 AM   #87
Thig
Founding Member

You been here long enough to be *****ing already, job security must be nice. Kidding aside, keep up the great work Burns.
Thig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 08:57 AM   #88
KPaulCook
Banned

Default A little clarification

johnnyB we are hard on you cause we know your are capable of much more. I have read your stuff before and liked it.

As other posters have said welcome to the internet. Instant feedback. Please take our posts as constructive crticism even though they look like flame mail. Sometimes we think we have to flame for anyone to read it. Sorry about that.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 09:34 AM   #89
delhomme
Founding Member

Gee, I dunno. You could go out and buy every single other motorcycle publication available in the US, then you would get the exact article you just described, with different helmets riding each bike. (sarcasm off) Seriously, I think we should count our blessings, most motojournalism reads like it was penned by a HAL 9000, it's good to read a little personality.

where the hell is my sig?
Old 04-30-2002, 12:36 PM   #90
johnnyb
Founding Member

DON'T TOUCH ME!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote