Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-30-2002, 01:43 PM   #91
yogre
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Twins Shootout: The Street

But this is exactly what I want. Different peoples opinions on the bikes. Isn't this what the a review is about? If I wanted good writing for the sake of writing, I would buy a book.
yogre is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2002, 02:50 PM   #92
fastducatirider
Founding Member

I agree... my definition would also be base, sport, race models. I wasnt talking about letters at the end of the model name.

Mille SP vs. the 998R

Mille R vs 998S

Mille vs 998

the fact that there is only one RC51 and thus they should all be the base model is a very good point. However, I do think there is some validity to the price argument, so maybe the best comparo would then be to have all versions of all bikes, put them all in one big test, and see where they end up... the reader can then decide on how much she/he is willing to spend....

-peter-
fastducatirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 07:55 PM   #93
grover750
Founding Member

Default You couldn't be more wrong...

Sportbikes: All performance. Every part made to make the bikes perform better.

SUVs: All show. Every part made to make the owner feel like he/she is outdoorsy / adventerous.

Sportbikes: Small profit margin.

SUV: can I borrow some vaseline?

Sportbike: rarely if ever come close to the limits of their ability

SUVs: come way, way closer to the limits of their ability than the drivers realize.

Now, I like cruisers. But I'd never buy one. The more motorcycles, the better, and the money all these companies are making off them leads to better sportbikes (including HD, finally, even though they had to have porsche make the engine). But if you go through the comparisons above, cruisers are more similar to SUVs than sportbikes. I'd be willing to bet there is a correlation between cruiser ownership and SUV ownership, and between car and sportbike ownership.

The car equivalent of a sportbike: the Acura RSX. I got the opportunity to drive one, as much fun as you can have with 2 extra wheels. I'm sure the S2000 is a blast too.

grover738
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 08:19 PM   #94
PaulNorthBay
Founding Member

After reading this string of comments re: the twins , I must say that my impression is that it seems some things are taken for granted.. and forgotten all together. All the twins here are great bikes, to squabble about whats best in this are or that area often is defined by ones own preferences and abilities... a few things that come to mind after reading this entire page is that the joy of riding, at whatever level, is in itself, why we are all doing it. Its in the blood for some of us.

I have been riding for 32 years, now only a couple away from the big "FIVE O" and will continue to enjoy and ride for many more.

From riding honda 350 and 450 at 15, the first 750 honda' in high school, and my first couple of harleys at 18 and 20 , up to now with many styles and types of bikes in between, I just love to ride.

There is something to be said for the "old guys" and the bikes we built and rode. Long before Harley was building much more than a air cooled tractor engine we were re-designing and enginering them to fit US, the way we rode. We manufactured our bikes , and in a way created the trend that has followed through to today with showroom hot rods and road cruisers, that once were traditionally american, and now are copied and doing well with all the import manufacturers.

There is a place for the "boring" road bikes, the ones that cruise effortlessly along with not much more to do but enjoy the ride and the scenery, its quite comforting and relaxing.. as well as the more intense nature of us who like to tempt our fates and test our skills in the mountains and canyons.

I ride different bikes for different reasons, but enjoy them all. Still have Harleys, ( ground pounding 90 Cubic inch hot rod) still have and enjoy the import 4's (zx-11 at the moment) and will always enjoy showing a few of the newbies how its done either way.

Bikes today, and many that are the subject of discussion here at MO, are so advanced and so close in capabilities, they do out shine most of the riders who are on them. I must chuckle at times when reading responses here, being that many are just scratching the surface in being able to cope with the power and agility they have to offer.

By the way JB, enjoy your writing, as well as other staffers here, and I dont mind some personality and humor along with my stats and info, prefer it actually.. keep it up !

PaulNorthBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 04:52 AM   #95
R1TCHIE
Founding Member

Personally, I wouldn't need to see an "all-out" test. Just give me the 998S !!!

R1TCHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 05:02 AM   #96
R1TCHIE
Founding Member

And what does all this have to do with the topic at hand ???

R1TCHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 06:21 AM   #97
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Re: You couldn't be more wrong...

ehhh ... sportbikes are all show, too, unless your last name happens to be haga or bostrom. i would guess that's NOT your name, and that people giggle and whisper the "s" word behind your back (that'd be "squid" for the uninitiated).

my point is that OWNERS of sportbikes, by and large, never come close to the bike's limits. as such, they are leather-drenched, multi-colored posers with stiff necks, hefty insurance premiums, and short life expectancies.

are there exceptions? why shooore. i've got some very level-headed sportbike-riding friends with awesome talent. but they save the sportbike antics (and the hard-core bikes) for the track and typically ride an F4 or a bandit on the street.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 10:51 AM   #98
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Thanks Burns... that was fun to read. Just have one of the boys put a bunch of white-papers together to keep the gadget-heads happy too, eh?

JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 01:04 PM   #99
delhomme
Founding Member

I think we're agreeing to disagree, here. I feel like MCNews, Sportrider, Performancebike, Bike, Motorcyclist, etc. do such a thourough job, with much better funding, that it would be folley for MO, a very little operation, to compete head-to-head with these behemoths. The one thing that's cheap is good writing, and JB serves it up. As for more traditional reviews? That's why the aforementioned mags exist.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:59 AM   #100
runningfire
Founding Member

Really? Which one, then? Truth is, like many talents, good writing is easy to recognize yet difficult to duplicate. JPB's writing style is rare in the annals of gonzo journalism, and fortunately for us monkeys hammering on keyboards, chooses a topic that's also our hobby. I would read JB if he was writing a vaccuum cleaner shootout. Late model sportbikes, serendipitously, are much more interesting.

The absolute worst decision MC magazine ever made was to muzzle his last page musings with politically correct milquetoast leanings. Welcome, and of course, kudos.

runningfire is offline   Reply With Quote