Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-26-2002, 03:41 PM   #1
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default Re: Hybrid Power for Motorcycles?

look, i'm desperate for just about anything street legal that uses a 2stroke engine these days, so i'm all for this. how on earth did they come up with that rocker-crank idea - amazing!
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2002, 04:13 PM   #2
runner00
Founding Member

I'm really surprised that none of the major motorcycle makers have considered an

electric motorcyle. If you can get a range of 100 miles I would seriously consider

one. In fact I would be interested in a small displacement bike for commuting,

something like the ninja 250 , but why must all small displacement bikes be so

cheesy looking? That fairing on the 250 ninja sucks. How much more could it cost

to put a decent fairing on that bike ? Give us a break. Put a decent fairing on this bike.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 05:44 PM   #3
surfimp
Founding Member

I guess my biggest question is, just how un-eco-friendly is your average motorcycle, anyways? In other words, is this the answer to the question that wasn't asked?

I think you could take your most non-enviro minded streetbike and it would still come out quite favorably in an emissions test against the standard SUV, station wagon, or family sedan out there. Set me straight if I'm way off here, please.

And, according to jmeyn who posted this story, this bike cannot be ridden in traffic (or at least below 16mph) for extended periods without annihilating the battery. Fabulous! Now that's really thinking! So basically, as a commuting bike (and what else could you actually want this bike for?), the thing is useless.

Lastly, exactly what part of a 125cc two-stroke engine is more emissions-friendly than your average four-stroke? Last I checked, two-strokes belch fumes like a chimney?

Anyways, all my snide remarks and sarcasm aside, I really think this is a good idea whose time has come. What I'm really waiting on, however, is the hybrid-powered Ford Excursion. I think that one of those alone would be worth about 1,000 of these little ecobikes in terms of reduced emissions.
surfimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 10:06 PM   #4
Kirby
Founding Member

I have been following the Ecycle for a while now. No doubt, with the times what they are,

I don't see why many motorcycle purist wouldn't get an Ecycle...the 16mph thing would obviuosly have to go....but then again...

how much do you ride under 16mph going to work?.... I drove right through Dallas for several years and don't believe I would have any problems with the 16mph limiting factor?

Another thing.... I wonder if getting high mileage out of motorcyles will ever become a trend. No doubt, the scoots of the 60s were pretty nutless, but boy did they get the mileage....I can't imagine with todays trickery,

the the big four couldn't make a moderate performance high mileage scoot?

Old 04-27-2002, 01:24 AM   #5
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Production racer?

In a lightweight production class, this bike could theroretically give a 250 Ninja a run for it's money, especially on a technical track.

The 100 pound weight difference, superior suspension and tires, and if the acceleration is close (who know how fast a 250 Ninja accelerates?), an E-cycle could perhaps hold it's own- and a top 15 finish would give these guys some serious credibility.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 01:33 AM   #6
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Re: Production racer?

Just to add, the EX250 recorded a 5.75 second 0-60 time in a 1988 Cycle magazine review. (did you write that, JPB?)

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 05:00 AM   #7
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default It's worse than that

You said "Lastly, exactly what part of a 125cc two-stroke engine is more emissions-friendly than your average four-stroke? Last I checked, two-strokes belch fumes like a chimney?"

Add to that, they say it's a diesel two-stroke. Shades of urban India!

This is definitely a work in progress.

jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 05:02 AM   #8
dnakase
Founding Member

Default But, but, but....

They start out with this assertion:

"Vehicles for personal transportation generally spend more time cruising than they do accelerating..."

Not on my commute Chuck'o. 1st - 2nd - brake to the next stop sign, traffic signal.

Plus, I would assert that on a 2 wheels acceleration on demand can be a life saver.

Still, I'd love to see a swarm of Squids buzzing around on 2 stroke/hybrid 125s...

What hurts worse? Road Rash or Road Rash with an Acid Bath Chaser?

dnakase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 05:09 AM   #9
jmeyn
Founding Member

They're still working on it. Take a look.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 07:26 AM   #10
J190pruf
Founding Member

If you would like a 250 or maybe a 400 cc bike for commuting, find one of the many omporters in the states that specialze in grey market bikes. I have seen FZR400RRSP's for $3500. something like a CBR250 would be even cheaper I guess.
J190pruf is offline   Reply With Quote