Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-18-2002, 04:19 PM   #1
fellswoop13
Founding Member

Default Way to be out of touch....

Listen,

Despite the gallons of testosterone sloshed about on this site regarding the latest uncomfortable-assed way overpowered squid-killing race replicas, and which one of them is best at doing things most people never do on their bikes, there are legions of readers and riders that are interested in affordable, reliable, decent rides for a good price. The now defunct, used to be fantastic site activebike.com thought the zr7 was fabulous, for a host of reasonable reasons. The spoiled bratties on this site yawn and fawn for something more outrageous and expensive.

It's a great bike. I think it looks cool too. I'm sure it won't sell. Too reasonable.
fellswoop13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2002, 04:28 PM   #2
99R6
Founding Member

Default Re: Way to be out of touch....

YEP.... GOD BLESS AMERICA... DOGGY STYLE
99R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 04:29 PM   #3
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki ZR-7S Reader Feedback

Thanks for reviewing a bike that is not a racebike-with-turnsignals. I think these do it all sport standards are a very cool trend and I'm glad to see that they're back in style. I like a good vertsatile street-focused ride. Can we assume there's a comparo coming?????

SV650/ZR-7S/Bandit 600/Nighthawk 750/Insert Favorite Cheap Ride
Old 04-18-2002, 04:37 PM   #4
minime
Founding Member

We'll be doing a much wider variety of bike tests here than ever before, touching on some of the over-looked bikes that sit on dealer's floors for no good reason. This is just a start. And as for this ZR-7S, the thing actually sells pretty well from what I hear...
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 05:33 PM   #5
neoyetif2
Founding Member

Default Throw in an extra stitch there doc!

A few years back I bought a 1982 GPz 750 (I didn't have very much cash and I had to ride something!). I was most impressed with the engine. Which is pretty much the same engine in the ZR-7S. Great for around town and road trips. Tons of mid range. Pretty fun bike. I imagine the ZR-7S is much better.

Ugh, John, are you sure you have an episiotomy scar? You may want to do a search on that -- Girly man. Or do you have a secret you don't want us to know. Been to Trinidad, Colorado? (THE place for sex change operations)
neoyetif2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 05:51 PM   #6
lampell
Registered Member

I am assuming that the ZR7S has the same ergos as the bike I owned for about 2 months the ZR7 twp years back. Being even older(gasp) than JB I figured I would try a standard bike so I could do my daily ride in a bit of comfort. The bike's seat unfortunately made me slide towards the tank which was not a pleasant thing. The suspension as was mentioned was mushy and in my opinion the bike slid and was not planted. If a bike is not comfortable and it doesnt handle well its sorta oughta my garage. I do own several bikes from sport to standard, super moto and even a full dresser Harley. The Kawasaki was not a keeper. For 6 grand I would suggest buying a two year old F4 which believe it or not is more comfortable and handles waaaay better.
lampell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 06:59 PM   #7
shineon2000
Founding Member

I ride a Nighthawk, a cousin of the ZR7S, and it takes care of me quite well. Now at 50 I admit that I don't push it as hard as I once did. Balance is a good thing. These bikes provide balance. That said, Progresive springs and shocks, and some stickier tires will be appreciated when the need and the wallet co-incide.
shineon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 07:15 PM   #8
chriss_1
Founding Member

Default Re: How bout testing the Sv650s?

Hey guys,

Do you plan on every doing a writup on the SV650s?
chriss_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 07:33 PM   #9
Jeff_Story
Founding Member

I, too, remember Jay McDaniel raving about the ZR-7 on activebike. I considered the ZR, but needed something with more leg room. Ended up with a 1200 Bandit.

When activebike went away, I e-mailed Jay to get a CD-ROM archive of the site. I had his address to send for it, then my computer flamed out, and I lost it. Bummer. Jay said he was going to start a new site, but I can't find it, or him.
Jeff_Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 07:40 PM   #10
SlowBear
Founding Member

Every time I read a road test of this bike I think "Wow, sounds nice but I hate the high frequency shaking of four cylinder engines and why don't they do a better job on the suspension?".

I understand this bike is built to a price but given the Japanese manufacturers near magical ability to build good, cheap products it seems like it could be much better for not much more money. Maybe tighten up the specs for the crankshaft balance and steal the forks and shock off an older 600 super-sport.

I'm not saying this to put the bike down. I think the ZR7-S would make a good bike for many uses (anything but hard core sport riding and two-up touring, really) but it could be a great bike with just a few changes, a long term keeper instead of a good bike for the price. Would they really sell any less if the suggested retail was, say, $6,199 or is there a physiological wall at six grand?

Just curious,

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote