Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-24-2002, 03:04 AM   #71
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki ZR-7S Reader Feedback

Not that I've ever seen... I got away with one grey-bike (a TZR250.. fully titled and legal) and I don't want to push my luck! -James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2002, 09:17 AM   #72
sforbes
Registered Member

Calvin's piece on the ZR impressed me as one of the better written columns to appear in a while. It was solid in all important regards, rather like the ZR itself. Thanks!
sforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 10:43 AM   #73
SlowBear
Founding Member

Default Re: Why not get a YZF-600R?

I understand the YZF-600R is a great bike for a lot of folks but the riding position (while not as extreme as current super sports it is much more committed than a ZR-7S) and acres of plastic put it in a different class, at least to me.
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 09:19 AM   #74
Velodyne
Registered Member

Any perspective out there how the ZR-7S compares with a dino '76 KZ900 (4 into 1 Tsubaki with K&N air filters) in terms of quarter mile elapsed time? The old Z turned mid-12's, with great seat-of-the-pants torque. Obviously, brakes and suspension are much improved over the old bike. Also, any opinions on Two Brothers Racing flange-on mufflers? The price is right. Is re-jetting needed? Their website says no. Also, do any owners have feedback on throttle response/power in the 80-110 mph range? How much passing power does this bike have? Hard to quantify I'm sure, but any thoughts would be appreciated.
Velodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 02:40 PM   #75
freecat
Registered Member

Default Give me an SV any day

Or don't. I just bought one, so call me biased. But after several years with a "sensible" bike (a Suzuki VX800), it's nice to have something that is sensible, but still a hoot to ride. What about that ZR-7S? What does it weigh with a full tank? Well over 500 lbs, you say? Count me out. Heavy bikes are fine on the interstate, but around town and in the twisties light is right.

Normally I'm right there with Burns, but his preference for the ZR-7S over the SV makes me wonder about his judgement. I'm sure it's fun; let's face it, those old school air-fours are fun to wind up. But puhleeez. The SV is one of those bikes that is fun just sitting in traffic, but even more fun cutting through traffic, i.e. lane splitting -- but only if legal in your state, of course. Of course.

Anyway, say you have sixish grand to spend on a ride including tax, title, and freight. I say get a naked SV. Wait, don't get an SV. Let me have all the fun. You have fun on the freeway.
Anthropology is just travel writing about places that don\'t have room service. Sociology is journalism without news. And psychology is peeking into your sister\'s diary after your parents have sent her to rehab.
-- P. J. O\'Rourke
freecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 06:51 PM   #76
rpete
Founding Member

Default Weight is not an issue with this motorcycle

I've read at least ten reviews of this bike, and every single one of them has pointed out the fact that it is nowhere near feeling as heavy as the spec indicates. The MO review is the first I've seen that didn't point this out, and the fact that they never talked about weight at all should tell you that it certainly doesn't feel heavy.

Anyhow, having owned a 2000 ZR-7 for nearly two years, riding it to and from work through Boston city streets every day, I can honestly say that it's as nimble as they come. Until you ride one, all you have to go by is that number on the specification sheet, and it is misleading indeed.

Finally I'll point out that measuring the ZR-7 with a full tank puts it at a disadvantage to most other machines, which simply don't have a comparable range (I routinely go over 200 miles between trips to the pump).
rpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 07:23 PM   #77
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Default Re: Give me an SV any day

I have had many new riders ask what bike they should buy. I always tell them to get a used dual sport. They never listen, so I tell them to get an SV650. I figure it will teach them to ride and have enough power and handling to be fun if/when they gain experience.

Two people I know (one a "virtual friend on the net) have bought an SV based on my urging. I have a fondness for Suzuki twins and am the happy owner of a nicely modded TL1000S. It is a wheelie fun bike.

Suzuki should pay me sales commision
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 08:32 AM   #78
freecat
Registered Member

Default Re: Weight is not an issue with this motorcycle

Fair enough, but if the ZR-7S feels more like 400 lbs than 500 lbs, then the SV feels more like 300 than 400.

Sorry, what's the size of the tank on the Kawasaki? Is it even a gallon more than the 4.2 tank on the SV? Should I point out that the SV is liquid cooled, which generally adds weight, but is still a good thing where durability and engine life are concerned. And it's not too hard to get 50 mpg out of an SV, which allows at least a theoretical range of over 200 miles. Anyway a heavy bike is a heavy bike... some "feel" more unwieldy than others, but if you ride a lighter, quicker-handling bike, you can tell the difference. There's fun and then there's fun. Sometimes just being out on the road on two wheels is enough fun. Sometimes it's nice to have that heavier bike, humming along on the highway.

I'm sure it's a good bike... my VX was a good bike, and I <i>thought</i> it was "as nimble as they come," too. But it's not. And it <i>is</i> all relative, anyway. The guy who bought my VX had just gotten rid of a GS1100E, so to him, the VX is lighter and nimbler.
Anthropology is just travel writing about places that don\'t have room service. Sociology is journalism without news. And psychology is peeking into your sister\'s diary after your parents have sent her to rehab.
-- P. J. O\'Rourke
Old 05-01-2002, 08:38 AM   #79
freecat
Registered Member

Default Re: Give me an SV any day

They should

To tell you the truth, I don't think the SV is really a good beginners' bike. As you sorta indicated, I think a used bike is the newbie's best bet, given the probablity of "adventures" with one's first bike.
-- P. J. O\'Rourke
Old 05-01-2002, 02:35 PM   #80
freecat
Registered Member

Default Re: Weight is not an issue with this motorcycle

Just saw how much gas the tank holds, that is impressive!

But compare dry weights... my point is the same. Dry weight is 463 lbs for the ZR, a full 100 lbs more than the SV at 363 lbs.
-- P. J. O\'Rourke