Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-19-2002, 01:14 PM   #41
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki ZR-7S Reader Feedback

When I got out of the u.s.n. in '79 the first thing I did was buy a '80 kawi kz 750 t, wich is a 750 twin for you youngsters, I rode that for a few years, then traded up for a GPZ 750 in '83 wich is the same engine we have here, I rode the dog knockers out of that bike for years and I have to say it was one of my all time favorites, I mean commuting, touring, bar hopping, just an out an out kick in the butt, I finally sold it for a 1000r ninja, but what a neat bike, after a long progression of sport bikes, 4 harleys and two BMW's, I'm back on a standard, with a '01 1200s Bandit, any way don't look down on standards because for overall fun factor they're hard to beat, and riden well, can wax your butt pretty good there lad. Age and skill beats youth and gee whiz graphics every time.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2002, 01:52 PM   #42
drider
Founding Member

Default Re: TOSS IN THE ZX-7 MOTOR!! (re-tuned...)

I couldn't agree with you more! That 'retuned' ZX-7 motor would rock and if they keep the price down nothing could match it!

We really only have one other bike that offers what the 7R-7 has and that is the Bandit 600. Both of these bikes need updating and generation old technology could be used to do it.

Bring over the Yamaha Fazer 600 and we would have an awesome choice.

Good yammering!

-Phil
drider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 02:06 PM   #43
TDHorton
Founding Member

Default Re: How bout testing the Sv650s?

In the "Related Readings" section at the bottom of the ZR-7s article is the "Value Bike Shootout". The SV650 is included in that article.
TDHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 02:56 PM   #44
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Age and skill

Isn't it interesting how one can't be young and skilled? Somebody should tell the pro racers that, oh, and most of the guys who belong to the MRRA's in each state. Oh, and me. I've been riding for 18 years, and I'm 26

luvmyvfr (no gee whiz graphics there)
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 03:32 PM   #45
sarnali
Founding Member

point taken, there are a hell of a lot of younger people with alot more skill than I'll ever have . I guess I should have said that haveing a sport bike doesn't make you fast. My bad, sorry, etc.etc.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 10:15 PM   #46
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Why not get a YZF-600R?

It sounds like you have described why Yamaha still sells the YZF-600R.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 07:53 AM   #47
Riding_Naked
Founding Member

MO,

Thank you guys for enriching your magazine/site with stories about sporty (and, sporty it is!) "standards", like our ZR-7S, as well as pure sport bikes. Finally, maybe now we ZR-7S owners will get a little bit of respect out there. We have been the Rodney Dangerfields of motorcycling: "No respect, no respect at all...." Hehehehe.
Riding_Naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 03:50 PM   #48
ciao
Founding Member

Default Nah, let's not praise boring bikes

In memory of the folk who gave this bike such a high review, it really should be called the Kawasaki Activebike.

Bu since this bike is so boring letÂ’s talk about that now-defunct site activebike.com. It was the Consumer Reports magazine of the biking press. CR mag always scoffs at any car thatÂ’s even the slightest bit a sporting proposition, instead regarding boring utilitarianism as the most important criteria for assessing any vehicle. A car is the same as a toaster to them. "The Ferrari F40 we tested scored Adequate in acceleration and braking distance, but Not Satisfactory in noise, ease of entry and glovebox space, so we rate it as Not Recommended."

Who cares about that attitude, and who cares about bikes that fit into it.

ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 05:04 PM   #49
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

I'm a touch uneasy stating stuff that will likely see me being clumped in with the rather too strident guy immediately above, but still....

Okay, so the ZR-7S has an old-tech motor, cushy suspension, lots of room for big guys, and low insurance rates. All of this tends to make me think of it as the two-wheeled equivalent of a Buick LeSabre. If, as some others have suggested, they'd fit something approaching a ZX-7 motor and a more seriously sport-touring suspension tune, I'd be more interested. Disputes?

As much as I should be rational and consider this as a viable purchase, especially considering my size and degree of experience and the fact that I would prefer not to see Kawasaki disappear from the market, my single intention for this month's shopping is to try and get the best deal I can on a metallic-black SV650. Sort of sad, but true.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 08:55 PM   #50
Gabe
Registered Member

Default RE: Two-wheeled Buick

What I want to see is the two-wheeled equivalent of a '74 Lincoln Mark IV, with white vinyl roof, shag carpeting, fake spare tire, and some kind of enormous helmet reminiscent of a colorful pimp-hat with feathers on an extravagantly large "natural" hair-do.

Yeah!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote