Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-18-2002, 07:19 PM   #11
tgo63
Founding Member

Default 01 red zr-7s

I own 2001 zr-7s for 9 1/2 months. Right now my odometer shows 10,400 miles. The bike came with Bridgestone 020 tires and they should be good for another 2-3 k miles before hitting wear marks. I think overall it is a very good bike, but better suspension would definitely help. The insurance is cheap, in my case $200 per year full coverage with $500 deductible. The total cost for the bike was $5,800 out the door. The D&D slip on adds some character, and if one feels like having a 130 mph run the bike will comply. Quite often I have itchy feeling to get one of the latest bikes, but then I realize there is nothing wrong with the bike I own right now.
tgo63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2002, 08:47 PM   #12
chuckdyer
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki ZR-7S Reader Feedback

I own a 2001 ZR7-S. When I was shopping for a bike last year, I was looking at much more expensive bikes such as the Aprilia Futura and the VFR. Just by chance I spotted this bike on the dealer floor and looked it over. I looked the ZR over and liked what I saw. Then I looked at the price - What! Only $5100. I was curious how the bike rode. I took it for a test ride and I was pleasantly surpised with its power and smoothness. My mind kept telling me that I was not suppose to like such a low priced bike, but my logic side told me that this bike meets all my needs and will save me a bunch of $$$. I don't regret buying it.

Since purchasing the bike, I have added:

1. Factory jet kit which added more power and smoothed the low end glichy throttle.

2. Two Bros carbon slip-on - This made the bike sound very nice and more expensive.

3. Progressive fork springs and 15w fork oil - This totally transformed the handling of the bike. No more fork dive and much better handling in the twisties.

This bike is hard to beat for the price! It is real fun in the hills and it is an excellent commuter and touring bike all wrapped up one.

This bike may not turn heads like an Aprilia or Duc, but it does deliver the necessary elements that make your ride fun and trouble free.

Chuck The Duck

2001 Kawi ZR7-S

2000 KTM 200 EXC
2000 KTM 200 EXC
<hr></hr>
RideSafer Motorcycle Safety Products
http://www.ridesafer.com
chuckdyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 08:59 PM   #13
chuckdyer
Founding Member

I forgot to mention that there is an excellent web site and discussion group dedicated to the ZR-7. The site is located at www.zr-7.com and the discussion group is located at www.zr-7forums.com.

Chuck The Duck
2000 KTM 200 EXC
<hr></hr>
RideSafer Motorcycle Safety Products
http://www.ridesafer.com
chuckdyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 12:30 AM   #14
Grappelli
Registered Member

Default Re: Way to be out of touch....

It's a shame that medium capacity bikes like the Fazer 600 and the Hornet haven't made it here. I've ridden both these bikes and the Kawa is the poor cousin. Still I dunno how it would come out compared to a Bandit 600. That would be closer I think, but I suspect the Bandit would still win despite the smaller engine. The 7 is very softly tuned/sprung...
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 12:58 AM   #15
Strider
Founding Member

I owe an 01 ZR-7S. I use it as a good weather commuter, errand runner, and all around transportation. I added a bike pack system that allows me to carry quite a bit of stuff.

I've read the post and the articles and all I can say is that I found the bike to be a good size, great balance, good handling, and plenty of power to do the things I need.

It is a bit cold natured, but most air-cooled bike are.

I definitely think I've getting my $5.5k worth of value in this bike.

I'm glad we are starting to get some reviews of bike that people use as commuters and daily rides.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 01:00 AM   #16
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Did y'all catch that torque curve on the dyno chart?! That's pretty effing FLAT! I like it.

I had a neighbor a while back who (thankfully) listened to me and got a CB450 Nighthawk to learn on, and later came to me and asked what bike I thought he should get next. I recommended he take a look at the ZR-7S, and the next time I saw him he had one and was VERY happy with it.
Old 04-19-2002, 02:11 AM   #17
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

I think you're on the right track. I've voiced this plan before, but here it is again:

I think the market is itching for a bike just like this with a "re-tuned for more low-end power" version of the ZX-7 motor. All the benefits of "higher tech", yadda... aftermarket parts galore.

This combo would be the equivalent of a middle-weight FZ-1.

It could single-handedly save the 750 class, if anyone cares, that is (while re-focusing it towards this market segment since liter-bikes seem to have permanently displaced 750 hyperbikes, or soon will).

Further, as they are now, Kawasaki would be pretty much the only company with that combo on the market. With a ZX-7 motor (r&d LONG since paid for, how old is it now!?) making right around 90-odd hp and a good chunk of torque, imagine how much better this bike could be.

With just a little more work on the suspenders, this combo would sell quite well, I think, to folks willing to maybe plunk down $6.5 to $7K for what is already a good solid bike (from the sound of it here). What's Yammy-hammy getting for FZ-1's?... I know Bandit 12's go right around $7, but you could see how the ZX motored ZR would still be able to compete on a "higher-tech" appeal (water v.s. air-cooled to start), wouldn't have the torque of the Bandit-o though... ligher weight probably for the ZRX-7 (you heard it here first ): a trade-off?? Hmmm.

Only problem might be that kawi would see it as encroaching on ZRX12k sales... hmmm. Perhaps. But that bike appeals to a different person than would a bike like I describe, I think.

C'mon Waky-Saki!... step it up just a liiiittlllle bit more!.. you're not going to do anything with the ZX-7 anymore anyway!

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 02:12 AM   #18
CBRunner
Founding Member

Default Re: How bout testing the Sv650s?

I agree wholeheartedly!!! I have read several articles on the SV650 but nothing on the S model. These things are selling like hotcakes. I have many buddies that ride race-reps and most of them have an SV650S as a second bike because it is simple cheap fast fun. When the testosterone levels are high they are the first to roost, but as for daily fun and commuting, they always opt for the little SV. I would love to hear how you guys rate the suspension, brakes and motor in your own expert opnion. I have yet to hear something bad about this bike except that the factory muffler makes it sound like a 250 dirt bike. BRING IT ON!!

Give us what we want. Please!
CBRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 03:36 AM   #19
rvfrules
Founding Member

Some contributing editor at activebike.com used to humiliate sportbikes on the track with his ZR-7. Just goes to show what a "budget" bike can do in the right hands. And like others have said, that site RAVED about the Kawi. Most of us probably can't exceed that bike's limitations, much less an f4 or any other sportsbike.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 03:43 AM   #20
DJS
Founding Member

Default I'm a honda man, how does the 919 compare?

After getting burned real bad on a 93 ZR1100 for parts and maintenance, I've gravitated to Hondas for reliability. I'm interested in the 919 right now, any of you moto-journalists that have ridden both care to comment on the differences in power, comfort, ergos?

Kawi does have a huge price advantage but I don't think I could commute in the murderous Houston traffic on air cooled bike when it is 104 in August.

David

DJS is offline   Reply With Quote