Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-03-2002, 10:16 PM   #81
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Class bikes at the Track

See my rant at the top, advertising is one thing, covering content with said advertising is unacceptable. Picture yourself at Ralphs paying for your grub with your ATM card only to have an ad pop up in the middle of you entering your pin number, forcing you to clear it before you can proceed. If we dont complain now it will only get worse... If Im reading something I do not want to be interupted, possibly losing my train of thought and having to start over again. We are paying for the privilage of reading this site. My money was not paid to be interrupted.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2002, 04:12 AM   #82
yzf1070
Founding Member

Van do me a favor, take off your bias glasses, your bias hat, leather, pants, shoes and socks. Then go out and ride these bikes back to back as I have on a number of occasions. I'm not saying that the Gixxer isn't a great bike, it is. Should the Gixxer have one last years comparsion? Yeah probably, I liked it so much that despite my disdain for it's styling I was going to buy one. Should it win this years comparo? Speaking as a person with much back to back experience on these 2 bikes (I have to take the word of the journalists on the Honda) the answer is unequivocally NO! The gixxer IS the faster bike but the Gixxer IS NOT the superior bike.
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 04:47 AM   #83
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, you're probably right again. But, I still enjoy a nice winding road on a smaller bike myself. It's much more fun to go fast on a smaller bike that I can really wring out. My old '81 KZ750 is a heck of a lot more fun than my 1100 on tight roads. I'd bet that an SV650 would be a big hoot. Only 360 pounds.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:54 AM   #84
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Times seem dodgy.

Reader poll? Great idea. Having the whole thing broken up into area-by-area bits is really a good thing because each buyer will weight the areas differently. One might massively weight the racetrack, another might skew towards the aesthetics. Declaring One Winner is less important than presenting all the data.

Oh, and to all those who worry about brand loyalty, I am a Honda fan, but will likely vote for the R1.

Keep up the good work.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 05:26 AM   #85
Le_Racer
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Class bikes at the >Dirt Track<

I've done some dirt riding on my buddy CB900 Custom a few years ago, it was a hoot! 100mph on loose gravel is entertaining!

On a 1/2 mi or 1 mi track I'll take on Minime on the Gixxer anytime if you can find me a decent example with some low bars.
Le_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 05:35 AM   #86
jmeyn
Founding Member

They removed the offending noisy eye. Better.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 05:42 AM   #87
seruzawa
The Toad

Hey, chill a bit, dude! At least we who buy rice rockets get really high quality stuff at a bargain price. To get the same quality components in a car you'd have to spend over 100K on a Porsche.

Just look at how much dirt bikes and cruisers cost compared to what you get. You have to conclude that the big 4 don't make much on the sport bikes. They make their big profit charging 5K for dirt bikes and 10K+ for cruisers. Just look at the crudeness of a Drifter versus a ZX12, both about the same price. Or a V-Star versus an R1. Or a Marauder versus a Gixxer. Those poor cruiser and dirt bike guys are getting taken to the cleaners.

Old 04-04-2002, 05:46 AM   #88
Flickmeister
Registered Member

A lot of this depends on rider talent and the scenario (track vs. street). The requirements are entirely different. In the real world, a good 600 may be faster on the track than an open class bike to many riders because it is less intimidating. It is also a better teacher because you have to have higher cornering speeds to get good lap times. In many cases, the GSXR1000 will more than make up for lack of rider talent by gassing it on the straights (3 seconds a lap, remember?) On the street, you can only ride so fast in the "sanity counts" mode. If you like the low end torque and have the skills, an open classer may be for you. Guaranteed, a 600 will match a 1000 in any street ride, but the rider will have to tap on the shift lever a bunch more. Personally, I like the dance. I'd have more fun on a GSXR600 than the 1000. As great as the GSXR750 is, these times, they-are-a-changin." It's kind of the bastard-child in the middle. Since you can go as fast on the street with a 600 (most riders will actually go faster), I'd buy the 600, and save the $2400. It'll get you leathers, tires, and track school days. Track schools are worth their weight in gold. That's where you can really learn to ride, and go a lot faster, at a far safer level, than you ever thought possible. That's when the serious grinnin' really begins. When you really get good, you'll realize you could have bought a SV650, saved $4600, and had more fun than life allows. Enjoy the ride, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 05:47 AM   #89
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Entry level

Seems like these bikes are sort of rich for an entry level rider. Maybe you should consider a used general purpose bike as a temporary learning tool; you wouldn't lose much trading it in next year.

If you must start this high, it looks like the Honda and Yamaha are pretty forgiving; not the Suzuki.

Ride safe!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 07:10 AM   #90
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh yes. How terrible MO is. You'd be much better off going to one of the more influential publications like CW. (sarcasm off)

CW gets all the goodies, free trips to Europe, wined and dined, etc., because the manufacturers rely on them to write glowing BS about everything they test.

As long as MO is the poor relation of MC journalism then they'll be the more honest ones.