Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-03-2002, 02:24 PM   #71
Van
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Class bikes at the Track

YZF, if you reread the street section story and my comments posted in this thread regarding what the editors had to say about the bikes there you'll know why I think the Gixxer is winning so handily.

They all said the GSX-R had the smoothest motor, the best seat and at least a tie for the most wind protection, so it was right there in terms of comfort, its weakest category.

More importantly, they described how the GSX-R rider didn't even have to work hard to leave the riders of the other two bikes on the street, regardless of who was riding. They said the GSX-R lunched the other two on exits, on straights and with stability that allowed its rider to stay hard on the gas where the others' less stable handling under power over bumps caused them to have to back off.

Their stated reason for placing the GSX-R third?

Looks, a bit too much excess "size" (even though it's still the lightest of the three) and its not seeming as "slick" as the other two.

Aside from the "size" issue (which its obvious superiority in performance proves to be no detriment in terms of riding it), the other two items are entirely subjective things where one's perspective is skewed simply by the "newness" of each bike.

I still say that if the GSX-R was the new for '02 bike and the other two bikes were carry over models from last year the outcome of this test wouldn't be even slightly in doubt, considering the overwhelming performance advantage they've reported for the GSX-R.

Bottom line, it's very specious that the GSX-R wasn't awarded the win in the street category, but even so its loss there was by a miniscule margin. Conversely, it just destroyed the other two on the track and you know it will also at the strip. The convincing manner in which it's winning on performance should easily outweigh the slim margin of "defeat" it suffered in the street testing.

When it comes to this upcoming final "Which One Would I Buy?" portion, it's as if one movie lost by a hair to another in "Best Costume" while winning in a landslide in the "Best Movie" and "Best Nekkid Hottie Actress" classes, and the reviewers are somehow giving more weight to the "Best Costume" winner....
Van is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2002, 03:37 PM   #72
jmeyn
Founding Member

I know. Isn't it great?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 04:40 PM   #73
Flickmeister
Registered Member

yzf1070,

The bottom line on the track is lap times. Three seconds is more than your wife being in labor for 48 hours on a racetrack. End of story. Didja notice how, all of the sudden, the Gixxer front end got more feedback and trailbraked deep into the turns while the CBR stood up and the R1 got flappy?? The GSXR also remained dead nuts stable no matter what. Van hit it on the head. If the '02 954 and the '02 R1 were last year's bikes, and last year's GSXR was 2002's new kid on the block, it'd be a hands down, take no prisoner's, kick-ass winner. It's been a long time since any motojouralist type has declared the same winner two years in a row. I have expressed my frustration and disgust with the lack of guts the print mags have always declaring the "latest & greatest" the new champ in the interest of keeping the maunfacturers grinning & paying. A classic example of this lameness is the new Honda Interceptor. It's 35 pounds heavier, has less midrange, and less HP than the '98 version. What is needed was to be 30 pounds lighter than the '98, keep it's gear driven cams, can the over-hi-tech crap, give up the linked brakes, and have a 1000cc V-4 with some real balls. And the mags, in all of their wisdom claim it "defies it's weight," and is better than last years, at a mere$500 or $1000 (with ABS). Yeah, right! And the 954 is more expensive than the R1 ot GSXR. What the hell was Honda thinking this year?? I'm just waiting to see if MO has the balls to really tell it like it is, even if it doesn't follow my line of thought (ya listenin' JB?). By the way, I love MO's new format with the different parts on different days. Gonadus maximus counts, both on the track and in truthful reporting. Besides, you don't want us to start callin' ya Little John, do ya? Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 06:36 PM   #74
MedEric
Founding Member

As a paramedic I must say that we and especially the ER nurses do make fun of you if you have on dirty underwear.
MedEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 08:48 PM   #75
Grappelli
Registered Member

Default Re: What I mean is ...

Odd. I always thought it was the other way round...
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 08:51 PM   #76
Grappelli
Registered Member

I've sat on two of them. Does that count?
Old 04-03-2002, 09:05 PM   #77
Grappelli
Registered Member

Yea ok.. I hate the ad too. But I also hate the ad's on my cable connection that I pay $50 a month for - about 1 minute in 3 that it's there. I pay for food at Ralphs and they have TV advertising on the checkouts. My point? I dunno. I guess for $12 a year you don't not get advertising. Why whine about it?
Old 04-03-2002, 09:41 PM   #78
12er
Founding Member

2wf.com has been running it for a couple months, and now it’s infected this site. As I post this there are two flashing ads on the page. The said buell ad and the Cycle $aver, how many more will be posted on a page at a time? Granted these are small and reasonably discrete at this time but I can just imagine if advertising picks up and the page begins to resemble a disco. People are trying to read this page, not just sit there and marvel at the flashing colors. Well most of us... At least the flashing ads don’t cover up content. We are paying subscriptions now, advertising is fine and completely understandable. Yet if this type is not stopped now I can just see reading part III with first the buell ad popping up, then half way down a tire ad pops up, covers your content and forces you to close it only to have a third or more ads pop up further down the story. Paper ads don’t flash, we can be thankful there and once you turn the page they don’t appear in the middle of your story forcing you to turn the page again... Please set some rules of courtesy towards your readers now before it gets worse. Thank you much. Sorry for the rant...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:48 PM   #79
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: What I mean is ...

I 2cnd that thought.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:54 PM   #80
12er
Founding Member

I sat on all 3 today, showroom floor with no fluids the r1 felt lighter. Oh finally tried on the new zzr 1200 Kawi, it was right next to a zx11, they looked to share the same frame and pretty close to the same exhaust. Hmm, can you say repackaged?