Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-03-2002, 01:26 PM   #61
reggler
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Class bikes at the Track

average being relative to sport bike riders specifically. but i agree, even most better than average riders couldn't safely ride to the 80% level of this bikes capabilities.
reggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2002, 01:29 PM   #62
ballan00
Founding Member

Actually androids aren't that great at riding. I let one borrow my bike once and he ran it straight into a fence. What is worse, my insurance agent didn't believe me (although my mom did when she asked what happened to my bike). Besides, even if you could teach one to ride, MO is far to cheap to purchase a RoboMe. Finally, I am not sure about the newer models, but the android I have weights 400 pounds which would throw the numbers way off.
ballan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 01:36 PM   #63
seruzawa
The Toad

Maybe 750s are a dying breed, but not because the liter-class are much better. It's the same American weirdness that makes people buy 44mag for home defense when .357 will do the job equally as well. "Mine's bigger than yours".

Who gives a rat's patoot? 99% of the people here, if on the GSXR1000, would probably get smoked badly if they tried to go head-to-head with a good light rider on an old RD350 on the Angeles Crest. There are few twisty roads that enable one to take advantage of the open class bikes. Usually a smaller lighter bike will get around the mountains quicker. Damn few of the people who buy these bikes are gonna take 'em to Fontana.

If people want to spend the bucks for open class sportbikes, more power to them. But 750s in competent hands will still smoke the lot of them. My GSX1100 is great for the highway and long sweepers. But when it's time to blow up Cottonwood Canyon give me a 750 any day.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:38 PM   #64
reggler
Founding Member

question 1 - yes

question 2 - good reporting

question 3 - who cares about the advertising

question 4 - definitely good work

question 5 - if you have found a better deal somewhere else please tell us

if $12 a year is too rich for you maybe you should get a better job.
reggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 01:41 PM   #65
yzf1070
Founding Member

Van, so far the GSXR came in last in the street section and first in the track section. Assuming the gixxer wins the drag section and finishes last again in the subjective section why should it come in first? I mean the Honda came in first in the street section, second in the track section, let's assume last in the drag section and probably either first or second in the subjective section. Why shouldn't the Honda win? I mean I am admittedly biased, I own a 02 R1. But right now as I type this post I have both a 2001 GSXR1000 and my new R1 in my garage about 10 feet below me. And both myself and the owner of that GSXR1000 have disscussed on more than one occasion how riding that new R1 makes that Gixxer feel like an old bike. Clearly more powerful but old none the less. So I ask you again why do you feel so strongly the Gixxer should win?
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 01:44 PM   #66
jmeyn
Founding Member

Still glad you paid $12? Darn right.

An annoying eyeball ad that should not have been there according to MO's promise of lesser advertising and more content? Darn right. It nearly got me fired at work.

These guys are working shorthanded and are delivering the most interesting comparo I (and most of the other respondents) have ever seen. Not more content but lots better.

They're not rich. Fewer ads and better connection speed require many, many more subscription. In the meantime, content like this is good enough for me. If not for you, that's your opinion and you have a right to it.

Cut some slack, evilgenius.

jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 01:54 PM   #67
CanuckBusa
Founding Member

Default Re: Times seem dodgy.

The Suzuki can't win. Even though it kicks butt at the strip, and at the track, and isn't too bad on the street it is "last year's bike", it don't look so "purdy", how can we let it win, when Honda and Yam have spent big money maker newer, better (oops slower) bikes. Nope, doesn't matter how good the Suzook is, the new bikes MUST win.

I'm just funnin. I'm not really that cynical/skeptical of the outcome.

But I am having a very hard time choosing between the 954 and Gixxer myself.
CanuckBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 01:57 PM   #68
yzf1070
Founding Member

That's a damn shame! You should check out the new androids they've made great advances with the use of nano tech and titanium. They make wicked cool spark shows when they get their knees down in the corners!
Old 04-03-2002, 01:59 PM   #69
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default You got that right

Great post! Almost like being there! In the 70s I was smoking Honda CB 305s on a CB 160 in the Malibu hills. Scared us all to death.

jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 02:15 PM   #70
yzf1070
Founding Member

A few years back I would say that you were 100% correct. But now these liter bikes are as light or lighter than the 750's. And there is truly something to be said for that smooth wave of torque you can only get with a big bore sportbike. That 99% of people you mentioned in your post would more than likely get smoked even worse by that same guy if they too were on a 750.