Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-03-2002, 09:22 AM   #41
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Open Class bikes at the Track

Good comparo! Thank you for once more proving that those who really want to go fast buy 750s and those who like to pose buy 1000s.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2002, 09:34 AM   #42
12er
Founding Member

After about $2000 in mods on the KLR that bike becomes very tough to catch in the twisties. Granted once a straight happens you get blown into the weeds but when it tightens up a tall skinny motard is tough to beat. Unfortunately at 14,000 miles it spent 6 months in the shop with a pitted crank and broken counter balancer, hopefully just an isolated freak factory defect.

Must have Mods:

M.A.P. oversized front brake rotor

Galfer pads and steel brake lines

(Stock brakes are terrifyingly weak)

Progressive Fork springs

(once you got brakes the forks bottom out...)

K&N air filter

Dynojet kit

Pipe: Ive heard the big gun full system stomps but at $600 the Supertrap IDS II Quiet did a great job for $235

Gel grips: them vibes are nasty

Brighter headlight bulb, or just run on high. Low is worse than a flashlight.

Street rubber.

Granted there are better bikes to make into a motard or super but at $4999 new you get a water cooled 650 to build on with a huge gas tank.

I miss that bike... Doesnt make the best commuter in 80mph+ SF bay area traffic. But on SF city streets not many are more fun. Still have no clue how I managed not to get any tickets or accidents jumping or wheelying thru the hilly intersections. Intelligent? No. Fun? Oh hell yes...

12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:37 AM   #43
ballan00
Founding Member

Yeah, it will take away from this comparison a great deal if the R1 or 954 win based on the "subjective" stuff, when it is obvious that the gsxr kicked their butts pretty good. I think with all the hype about the new Honda and Yami, they are sure to win in a subjective contest simply because they are new. I hope this is not just MO trying not to make last years R1 win not look stupid.

If the r1 beat the gixxer last year, the cbr954 beat last years r1 in a quick comparison this year, and the new r1 is supposed to be better than the old one, shouldn't that mean that no matter how this test goes the r1 and 954 should have the top 2 spots, and the gixxer should be third. I think MO should just admit they made a mistake in picking the R1 last year. "Actually we just picked the r1 last year to be different from every other magazine that picked the gixxer first".

That said, I would easily pick the r1 or 954 over the gixxer because they are just so damn sexy, and all these bikes go far beyond where my squidly skills would allow me to push them.
ballan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:42 AM   #44
ballan00
Founding Member

Good comparo. I like the format of breaking each test into separate parts. If you didn't get the drift from the "weight in" reader feedback, please make this section in future comparisons more detailed. If that is done, everything will be peachy.

I think the Suzuki should win even though it is fugly next to the other 2 bikes. This class is all about performance. If it were not, then I could name off several more docile and affordable bikes that work much better on the street.
ballan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:52 AM   #45
12er
Founding Member

Is it me or is that Buell ad with the eyeball the most annoying thing on the net? When ads float around and cover the content Im trying to read they do nothing but tick me off. More counter productive than anything. Its a Virus I tell ya...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:57 AM   #46
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: Times seem dodgy.

here's one Suzuki squid who's sharpening his spear already, (evil grin).
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 10:56 AM   #47
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Winning is all there is?

Guys who can only afford one bike need to look for balance. These three bikes are all at least decent in town, on the road and on the track.

On the track they're close enough that riding counts for a lot. A good rider on the 954 can beat an average rider on the Suzuki and know he beat a superior bike. Another GXSR ridden by a good rider will clean his socks, but he'll know why. It'll be a hard workout and he'll enjoy a comfortable ride home.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 10:58 AM   #48
jmeyn
Founding Member

Take another look. The weight's already in.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 11:05 AM   #49
Pacer
Founding Member

Default Re: Aiming at a smaller market?

At least the GSXR has a market, and are smart enough to produce a product for it. Kawasaki has let it's market turn into a daydream. There are also plenty of people who want the ultimate tool, even if they never see a track. The market is bigger than you expect.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 11:17 AM   #50
yzf1070
Founding Member

Have any of you actually ridden all three of these bikes or are you all simply going on the say so of the MO guys? The only reason I ask is because you are all making statements that are very matter of fact as if you all have first hand experiences with these machines. Here is a fact, only if you were to put an android onto all three bikes whose only limiting factor as to how fast he could go was pure mathematical physics, could you truly find the physically faster pure tool. Otherwise the most limiting factors will be the human factors such as feel, comfort, trust and anything else subjective. Which is precisely why the "Subjective" categories should be the most important. This is why often superior racing machines turn inferior lap times. Until you as a person feel comfortable pitching your brand new gsxr1954 into that corner faster than you ever have before you WILL overbrake, miss your apex, get on the throttle too late and turn slower lap times.
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote