Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-03-2002, 06:42 AM   #31
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Class bikes at the Track

Better take the KLR outta that test. It's just too much bike for that group
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2002, 06:48 AM   #32
jmeyn
Founding Member

Hey, the Honda did fine at the track. And an average rider will need to improve a lot to safely use 80% of this class of bike.

You're bottom line is right on.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 07:31 AM   #33
granny
Founding Member

Good reading indeed. The fact that my 916 has yet another valve lash check/adjust coming up certainly has increased my interest in these bikes. This review has certainly helped me narrow things down a bit.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 07:44 AM   #34
v2-90
Founding Member

Default Re: Times seem dodgy.

I think if they kept the voting only to registered users, that should help to keep the ballot stuffing problem minimized.

Suzuki does have a strong following, but I also think that's effected by your location - in SoCal here, Suzuki is definitely the clear popular winner, but in other places I've been to, both Yamaha and/or Honda are stronger.
v2-90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 07:52 AM   #35
minime
Founding Member

People are only allowed to vote once a day. It's a cookie thang.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 08:26 AM   #36
akcarlson
Founding Member

and wear clean underwear...and don't mix household cleaners...and never eat refrozen ice cream...
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 08:33 AM   #37
Jay_Mack
Founding Member

It doesn't matter what you say. I fell for the '88 FZR 1000, the '90 FZR 1000, the '98 R1 and its going to be the '02 R1. (The '88 was my favorite).

What you do on the track is irrelevant and means nothing to me, I couldn't ever be on the track. Purely track related qualities do not enter into the equation.

Besides, either the Silver or Blue and White R1 is SO OVERWHELMINGLY better looking than the others and classier, its to love.
Jay_Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 08:45 AM   #38
Jay_Mack
Founding Member

Default What I mean is ...

It's somewhat like choosing a woman. The difference in their ffuucckking is small, the difference in their looks is great.
Jay_Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:10 AM   #39
Van
Founding Member

Fantastic test so far, M.O. This one's sure to beat the hell out of, say, Cycle World's, in terms of comprehensive quality.

Okay, lessee here.

The GSX-R is mechanically unchanged. What changes it has are detail oriented, such as the shiny s-bend pipe, nicer mirrors, no fast idle lever for the EFI, etc.

Same motor, brakes, EFI, bodywork and chassis. Same go fast stuff.

This year's R1 is, by all accounts, better than last year's R1.

Last year, the R1 somehow won this comparo, basically because the GSX-R was deemed "too fast".

~struggling to stifle a "Bwaaaahahaaa!!!"~

This year, the GSX-R is obviously smoking the other two bikes. Three seconds a lap on the track is simply hideous. The testers also said that the GSX-R ran away from the other two on the street as well, yet they ignored that which is most essential and pure in an Open Class Superbike comparo. (Who's fastest, anywhere and everywhere, since this ain't a sport touring test...) They somehow voted the GSX-R last on the street despite the ease with which it dispatched the other two, due to subjective factors that all added up to one thing: "We don't wanna pick the GSX-R, 'cause the other two are newer!"

We all know the GSX-R will waste the other two at the drag strip.

So, what we'll have here is one sorta bull***** but very close "loss" on the street and two utterly dominant track and dragstrip wins for the GSX-R. In all performance riding conditions, the GSX-R rider will have "Bragging rights!!!", so important to Open Class riders.

They've also said the GSX-R has the smoothest motor, best seat and has at least a tie for most wind protection, in the Most Comfortable Sweepstakes.

So, ask yourselves one simple question, when it comes time for the "Swimsuit Competition", ie, the Subjective Bull***** Rationalization portion of the test: If all the results were the exact same as they've been so far, only the 954 and R1 were a year old and the GSX-R were the New Kid On The Scene, would there be even the slightest debate as to which bike lapped the others in this test, or to which is the one for whom "They'd pay their own money!"?

The truth revealed in THIS test is REALLY making last year's R1 "win" look ridiculous, and not just in hindsight either.

For all that, who cares? These three are so much better than their riders that people ought to just pick the one they "like" the best, since whoever's on the GSX-R will win anyway if it's equal riders and whoever's the best rider will win regardless of his choice of bike...

That is, for those of you who care about competing against your buddies. I'm sure NONE of you care about THAT!

Yep, people buy Open Class Superbikes not because of speed and competition, oh no. It's because they enjoy the esoteric..... :roll eyes:

Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:22 AM   #40
ballan00
Founding Member

Since cookies reside on the client machine, they can easily be deleted. Cookies are not a reliable way to control this. If you are going to put any weight at all on the readers poll, I would only allow subscribers to vote and make sure they only get to vote once period.

I personally would not put any weight on a reader poll for the simple reason that there are so many that are brand loyal. The best bike should win, not the one made by the most popular manufacturer. Also, if I had actually rode and enjoyed one of the bikes in the comparison, I might vote for it because I did not know that it isn't as good as the others (that I have not ridden).
ballan00 is offline   Reply With Quote