Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Open Class bikes at the Track (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1139-open-class-bikes-track.html)

bluedot 04-02-2002 11:38 PM

Re: Open Class bikes at the Track

GSXR was pretty stable huh ? hmmm I seem to remember some readers arguing contrary.

(evil grin)

My real complaint about this (going back to last year) was that after all well deserved hype of the R1 over the past several years, for Suzuki to come out with a brand new bike and whomp the R1, THAT was worthy of OCS 1st place honors. Oh well :)

On side note: I sat thinking after reading an issue of CW tonight and wanting to opinionate or ask questions of some of the articles. It's very easy to take for granted that which is offered by MO. The ability to throw in my .02 anytime I please (and instantly) as well as read the opinions of the other subscribers is just one more reason that makes this service great.

Nplateau 04-03-2002 12:02 AM

I am a confessed squid. My skills on a bike are laughable and not yet legal (damn license requirements). Yet if I were given a choice, quite easily it would be the CBR.

Even comparatively underpowered, the CBR still produces enough horsepower and leads to such riding dynamics that even the most skilled canyoneers can still cut a bad notch carving. Let's not get too spoiled, 130 hp on a 400 lb machine is no joke.

As far as easy to use, tractable power, the Blade can give you more than you really need, but with what seems to be impeccable fuel-mapping, never more than what you're really asking for.

Great ergos for long rides and heavy, every day use make it far more appealing for those who would like to spend the bulk of their motile hours as close to flight as asphalt will allow.

For the sensible squid who allows for a flash of hooligan, the Honda is a alas, the balanced package.

On another note, I figure in about four to five years, a Kawi-Zook combined venture will shake us. Zook's B-king and 165 hp GSV-R in a couple of years will be amazing. Honda will surprise all of us with the power produced by the cbr 600 F5, and the next RR which I hear is going to be a 998 V5.

And please, if any of you have info on the gorgeous 2003 Gilera 600 Supersport, pass it along.

Joe_Momma 04-03-2002 04:38 AM

How Squidly.

I love these videos.

Damn, Yamaha is in last place so far. Who would have guessed?

jmeyn 04-03-2002 04:59 AM

Guess that taught him a lesson

Unfortunately, his TZ250 decided to spit him off before we could get any timed laps on him aboard our CBR954.

TZ250s are known for their jealous rages. Is Roland all right? Has he made up with his bike?

If he carefully introduces the CBR954 to the TZ250, can the two bikes be friends so we can get some numbers next time?

drthompson65 04-03-2002 05:16 AM

Re: Times seem dodgy.

Last year when I lived in San Jose I was handed my ass on Hwy 9 by guys on GSXR1000's when I was on my CBR929RR. This year I moved back to Minnneasota and I think I'm going to walk down to my local Suzuki dealer and buy me that 1000. Everyone wants R1's and 954's maybe this year they'll be dealing.

jmeyn 04-03-2002 05:21 AM

Bad politics

MO might find it hard to get bikes to test after that.

jmeyn 04-03-2002 05:33 AM

Whole new world

In this web-zine the responses are as important as the staff-generated content. Defficiencies (perceived or real) in the articles are balanced by the subscribers input and direct response from the staff.

I think MO is onto something new and great.

Larrysupersport 04-03-2002 06:13 AM

Cheers to the hooligan! I love the edge of the gixxer and I am glad to see Suzuki doing what they do best; Making a track worthy hooligan that sucks on the street. Things never change.

Larry

jmeyn 04-03-2002 06:24 AM

Aiming at a smaller market?

Seems like many GSXRs might end up visiting track days on the backs of pickups; kind of a small market.

What are the relative USA sales on these bikes? 2001 models of course.

badsac 04-03-2002 06:25 AM

Re: Times seem dodgy.

Gawd!!! A poll is going to be part of the judging process???? My GSXR riding buddy and all his cronies will be here voting 1000 times to get his bike into 1st place.

That seems to be one thing Yamaha and Honda can't compete with. While they have their supporters, they seem nowhere near as rabid as the Suzuki disciples.

I just hope for your sake you don't go overboard with the subjective ratings. If you give 1000 points to the Yammie and have it winning again, the Suzuki squids will burn you all at the stake. ;)