Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-29-2002, 09:19 AM   #41
Van
Founding Member

Default Re: Say, Johnnie...

It's one of the agents used by the Nazis to kill Jews. It's a poisonous gas.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2002, 09:24 AM   #42
Van
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike Shootout

Sissy!

Actually, what the hell, the GSX-R has the best seat, the most wind protection and the smoothest motor of this bunch so while its seating position is the raciest it almost makes up for it with these other factors.

It's in the same overall ballpark, comfort wise...
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 09:30 AM   #43
RickZ
Founding Member

The "tight side" of Palomar where the clip was shot is definitely NOT a place to compare acceleration of liter bikes, or any other bike's out of the turns. By the time you just start to fire out of an apex, you're ready to roll off and set up for the next one, and spanking full throttle going up that steep hill just results in undesired wheelies. That road is one TIGHT and STEEP mutha. What you CAN fairly compare between the bikes on that road is the stability when fully heeled over, flickability, and throttle control. On the way down, yeeeehaaa!! Watch that rear brake on the apexes, bubba! And, you're right about the fear factor there. I've heard of guys who target fixate, go off the edge and need to be extracted by helicopter. Yikes.
RickZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 09:52 AM   #44
Pacer
Founding Member

Nice, $50 says he was a Brit.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 10:02 AM   #45
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Yeah, target fixation is a *****. I saw a guy in front of me going down the fast side of Palomar fixate on that one turn (at the time) with the Sealer on it and he smashed into the moutain. Believe it or not, I actually go faster up the slow side than down. I love the fast side but everyone seems to want to do the slow side I just follow.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 10:45 AM   #46
CanuckBusa
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike - Number Gixxer front end? How the Gixxer can win.

The numb front of the Gixxer 1000?

Hey, give me a little help here. I sold my Busa to buy one of these three bikes and it is a difficult decision. Sounds like the weird framed 954 is the most practical choice for me. But I'm not quite ready to give up on the Gixxer 1000 yet, because it is such a stonking bike. I'll get to my questions in a minute.

Last year, everybody was gaga over the Gixxer1000. Cycle World said the only thing wrong with bike was that 'they weren't worthy to ride it'. Superbike mag said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sport Rider liked it even better than the 750 (already acknowledged as an unbelieveable sport bike). Only Motorcyclist dissed it a bit, for 'somewhat vague front end feel'. Yeah, most loved the brakes too. Though, to be fair, some mags suggested the bike might be for 'experts only'.

OK. Let's say the front end is a bit vague. Is there anything I can do about the lack of feel via modifications myself? (The considerable money I save by buying a gixxer vs. the latest 954 or r1, can go toward the mods I need to make it better.) I do ride fast. But I am not an ace rider. Is the difference really that noticeable for the averge rider? Consider that I previously owned a Hayabusa, and thought it handled pretty decent if a bit heavy. No, I didn't know EXACTLY what the front tire on my Busa was doing. But I learned to trust that it would grip as needed.

Is the Gixxer an unforgiving bike because of the vague front end? Is this inherent to the bike, or something I can change given money and time?

As far as ergos are concerned, I know I can make some simple footpeg and clipon mods to the Gixxer to improve its ergos significantly (lowset pegs plus higher clip ons). I know it rocks performance wise like my old Hayabusa. I know it has a smooth motor and good wind protection. And I know I can speed up the steering via tire and geometry adjustments. I believe I can improve the brakes (if required).

But I don't know if I can go about improving the front end feel, or if the difference is enough to make the Gixxer more dangerous for an average guy like me to ride hard on the street compared to the other two bikes.

Don't get me wrong. The Honda looks good except for that weird frame and being a bit down on power wheelie-ability. On those long rides the Honda looks better and better.

But I wonder, with a few selective mods, if the Gixxer might be pretty darn good as well. And some of the things on the Busa are relatively easy to fix. The vibes on the Yam might be hard to fix.

My evaluation (prior to minor modifications).

+ is better 2 points

* so so 1 point

- worse 0 points

Bike Gixxer R1 954

Criteria

Stability + * *

Flickability * + +

Road feel * + +

Comfort - * +

Reliability * + +

Build quality * + +

Looks * + *

Power + + *

Lack of vibes + - +

Wind protection + - +

Wheelie-ability + + -

Hooligan factor + + *

Price + * -

Total points 19 19 19

Too close to call! But after minor mods (no Erion stroker kit for the Honda) I think the Gixxer might just win by a narrow margin.

Gixxer flickability and comfort easily addressed via aftermarket components. Yamaha vibes harder to fix. Gixxer feel harder to fix. Yam and Hon stability easy to fix. Honda power expensive to fix.

Your feedback is appreciated.

CanuckBusa.
CanuckBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 10:49 AM   #47
CanuckBusa
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike - Numb Gixxer front end? How the Gixxer can win.

The numb front of the Gixxer 1000?

Hey, give me a little help here. I sold my Busa to buy one of these three bikes and it is a difficult decision. Sounds like the weird framed 954 is the most practical choice for me. But I'm not quite ready to give up on the Gixxer 1000 yet, because it is such a stonking bike. I'll get to my questions in a minute.

Last year, everybody was gaga over the Gixxer1000. Cycle World said the only thing wrong with bike was that 'they weren't worthy to ride it'. Superbike mag said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sport Rider liked it even better than the 750 (already acknowledged as an unbelieveable sport bike). Only Motorcyclist dissed it a bit, for 'somewhat vague front end feel'. Yeah, most loved the brakes too. Though, to be fair, some mags suggested the bike might be for 'experts only'.

OK. Let's say the front end is a bit vague. Is there anything I can do about the lack of feel via modifications myself? (The considerable money I save by buying a gixxer vs. the latest 954 or r1, can go toward the mods I need to make it better.) I do ride fast. But I am not an ace rider. Is the difference really that noticeable for the averge rider? Consider that I previously owned a Hayabusa, and thought it handled pretty decent if a bit heavy. No, I didn't know EXACTLY what the front tire on my Busa was doing. But I learned to trust that it would grip as needed.

Is the Gixxer an unforgiving bike because of the vague front end? Is this inherent to the bike, or something I can change given money and time?

As far as ergos are concerned, I know I can make some simple footpeg and clipon mods to the Gixxer to improve its ergos significantly (lowset pegs plus higher clip ons). I know it rocks performance wise like my old Hayabusa. I know it has a smooth motor and good wind protection. And I know I can speed up the steering via tire and geometry adjustments. I believe I can improve the brakes (if required).

But I don't know if I can go about improving the front end feel, or if the difference is enough to make the Gixxer more dangerous for an average guy like me to ride hard on the street compared to the other two bikes.

Don't get me wrong. The Honda looks good except for that weird frame and being a bit down on power wheelie-ability. On those long rides the Honda looks better and better.

But I wonder, with a few selective mods, if the Gixxer might be pretty darn good as well. And some of the things on the Busa are relatively easy to fix. The vibes on the Yam might be hard to fix.

My evaluation (prior to minor modifications).

+ is better 2 points

* so so 1 point

- worse 0 points

Bike Gixxer R1 954

Criteria

Stability + * *

Flickability * + +

Road feel * + +

Comfort - * +

Reliability * + +

Build quality * + +

Looks * + *

Power + + *

Lack of vibes + - +

Wind protection + - +

Wheelie-ability + + -

Hooligan factor + + *

Price + * -

Total points 19 19 19

Too close to call! But after minor mods (no Erion stroker kit for the Honda) I think the Gixxer might just win by a narrow margin.

Gixxer flickability and comfort easily addressed via aftermarket components. Yamaha vibes harder to fix. Gixxer feel harder to fix. Yam and Hon stability easy to fix. Honda power expensive to fix.

Your feedback is appreciated.

CanuckBusa.
CanuckBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 10:57 AM   #48
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike - Number Gixxer front end? How the Gixxer can win.

You are already a Suzuki Man, just change your login name to CanuckGSXR or something.

I would go for the R1 personally. I just feel mo' comfortable on R1, R6 Yamahas.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 11:11 AM   #49
gforces
Founding Member

Default I love the look of the R1, but I'd buy the 954

The 954 has an edgier, stout, stance--a look that you may consider "jumbled", I prefer "toned". The R1's shape has so many angles and planes, it's shape could be used for some sort of mechanical wonder on a Gundam episode. An exercise in 180mph origami.

I was in my cage yesterday (at least it's a wicked handling Porsche) behind a fellow and his girl on a 2002 R1 (the metallic grey color) and it was beautiful. It didn't need the rooster-tail spreading, war painted graphic statements the majority of these bikes use. The led brake light sent a signal every time it went from brightly glowin--like an F-14 pumping its engines tethered on the flight deck about to launch, waiting like a rabid dog on a leash for it's owner to let go--that it was about to go to ludicrous speed when it went out.

Looks wise, the R1's the yuppy artist that shops at the Sharper Image. The 954's the same person, but shops at the outlet stores. The GSX-R is the guy that never grew up. It's looks didn't change, the same as its younger brothers. He went from High-School MVP straight to Pro All-Star, and didn't bother with learning psychology, philosophy, or literature that the others sat through--no, he went straight for the money and the fast life.

Rich
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 11:53 AM   #50
granny
Founding Member

Default Darn nice videos

Quite entertaining...
granny is offline   Reply With Quote