Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-29-2002, 05:24 AM   #21
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike Shootout

I feel you pain.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2002, 05:40 AM   #22
jmeyn
Founding Member

I guess you mean visual aesthetics. This article is all about tactile aesthetics. Since one of the testers is a graphic artist, I'm really surprised he didn't talk about looks. I wouldn't consider the other riders qualified critics.

I love the looks of the parts; see Aprilia Blue Marlin.

These bikes are dominated by graphics, manufacturers billboards. That's an inheritance from their racing cousins; it IS the aesthetic for this type of bike.
Old 03-29-2002, 05:47 AM   #23
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Those weren't the exact words used, but when the TT600 came out from Triumph, the only good thing they said about it was the stability. It was Ugly, slow, sputtered down low, and a few other things were said.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 05:59 AM   #24
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Those guys scare me anyway. There are only three bike I have ridden up Palomar Mountain. A 996 (but very carefully) an R6, and a yzf600r. Maybe it's because I am scared as hell of accelerating towards a mountain on one turn and off a cliff on the next, but I don't see how you could use all the power up there anyway. Straights are like-non-existant. I can remember maybe two straights worth calling that. Scary.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 06:10 AM   #25
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Yeah, I meant visual and I understand that everybody differs, making it irrelevant what any one person says.

I was just saying that, at this point, picking the bike that makes you heart beat faster in the showroom is a perfectly valid way of choosing, because they all kick a$$.

I didn't mean to imply that I don't like the look of parts (there is a 1990 Hawk in my garage and I'm thinking about buying a ZRX). I also don't mind plastic and graphics (love the Busa). It just seems that the CBR's looks are like the name, 954. All jumbled. The R1 has one very clear, clean theme. The old 900RR had a very distinct look, but the new one looks (to me) to be just cluttered.

Let's have a poll of MO readers concerning looks.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 06:11 AM   #26
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Never been there, Joe. But I believe you and would also be pretty scared on a liter bike. I live in Houston, so nitro Busas make sense here.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 06:22 AM   #27
jmeyn
Founding Member

Agreed as ammended.

We need a better gallery of photos before the beauty contest.

Great idea!
Old 03-29-2002, 06:45 AM   #28
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Forget the Kaw

Frankly, if Kawasaki can't get a test bike to MO it just reaffirms in my mind that Kawasaki doesn't really know what they're doing. Based on the average comment here at MO and the reader letters to magazines like Cycleworld and Sport Rider, Kawasaki should be catering the the demographic over here, not the "power-is-everything" crowd those mags have.

Of course, Kawaski does seem to think that they can just keep warming over the same liter and 750 bikes and keep us happy so why should we surprised when they don't pay attention to where their buyers are?

Can you tell I've had a few bad experiences with Kawasaki? Well never again. I just hope they don't infect Suzuki and kill the brain cells over there too.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 07:04 AM   #29
granny
Founding Member

Default The final splat - Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike Shootout

Yeah, go in way to hot and you'll have more than enough time to recall your life before "the final splat". In Bandera county in Texas, there are several roads with steep descents into 10MPH corners (337 being one) where one could likewise experience "the final splat". Scary roads to think about but strangely exhilarating when actually ridden...
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 07:41 AM   #30
Huss
Founding Member

Default Unsatisfied with test.

OK, I know that this message board is usually a love fest towards MO, and I too have posted favorable comments but this to me reads as quite an anti-climax. Anyone could have guessed for the street portion 954, R1, GSXR. The content reads just like the content of the previous liter bike comparo when the 954 was the 929. I guess I like to learn something new when I read something, otherwise why bother...

As for street handling, the GSXR has the slowest steering, yet was the only one not to have head shake. So how is that a negative? Almost every serious street rider I know will immediately put on a steering damper if they notice head shake, thus compromising steering feel. So maybe yank the damper off of the GSXR and see how the steering feel changes (and handling), or slap on some dampers like the public will on the R1 and 954. I don't think this is asking much, it'll cost maybe $800 tops (for Scotts) and maybe half an hour of shop time. Or to really even the field if you are interested in fairness, buy three Scotts dampers, so noone can complain about these being better than the stock GSXR's unit, and have all bikes equiped the same.

Also, voting the 954 number 1 "officially" but then voting the R1 number one as the bike you'd own makes no sense. It's akin to saying this is what the public should hear, but this is how we really feel. Oh I see, that then would have made Honda tie for last spot with the Suzuki. Hmm, maybe you should have included Kawasaki after all.....

Huss is offline   Reply With Quote