Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-29-2002, 03:50 AM   #11
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike Shootout

So that's what Hackfu looks like.

Man, what's up with the ftp bandwidth. I can't even get a video download. I'm like crackin' out trying to get one. Sell my VCR.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2002, 04:26 AM   #12
Arrow
Registered Member

Could Gixer Thou's front-end numbness be the result of its non-adjustable steering damper? Perhaps a quality damper would fix this. Just a thought.
Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 04:33 AM   #13
cdurand
Founding Member

Decent article I guess.. as is typical of American press you show no real favorite. I know the Honda comes out on top but the other two bikes are so highly praised and each rider just happens to pick one as their favorite. What a total shocker.

I want to see an article where someone says "That bike is junk. I'm glad I work here so I can say I'd never actually spend money on one."

If that has ever happened on this site please give me the URL so I can stand corrected. It's just not possible for every manufacturer to have gotten it right the first time every time. Show me a review of a Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, or Kawasaki sportbike that just plain says "don't buy this bike, there's nothing good about it."

I know you'll throw in little dings like "the brakes don't offer as much feedback as I'd expect from a Honda" but that is quickly corrected with something like "but just twist the throttle and you'll forget all about that."

Offer criticism and let it stand.

On a side note. You boys need to get on a scale because your weights are way off. JohnnyB could possibly be in the right neighborhood but the other three are all playing with the numbers.
cdurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 04:48 AM   #14
jmeyn
Founding Member

Right click on the hyperlink and copy it. Start up your video player (I use Real), copy the hyperlink into the target window and click go. Speed on my DSL connection went from about 20 kbs to 45 kbs.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 05:06 AM   #15
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

They run NT at work. Sucks. I can only install a Hacked version of Quicktime. I can't seem to download from any ftp sites so maybe the admin caught on to my habits. No problem, I got DSL at home.

Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 05:07 AM   #16
reggler
Founding Member

to cdurand, have you been an a**holeall your life or did you just get that way recently?

do you even own a motorcycle? and who gives a rats a** if their weights are correct.

get a F***ing life!!!!!!!!!
reggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 05:12 AM   #17
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Interesting that there were so few comments on aesthetics. It seems to me that all of these bikes are pretty fabulous, so aesthetics and brand preference would end up weighing in pretty heavily.

Just yesterday, a friend asked my about deciding between a Mille and a 998. I said "Which do you think looks better? Buy that one. Unless you ride them back to back and are really being critical, you'll never be dissatisfied with either."

Ditto on this comparo (although I really did enjoy it).

BTW, I am a Honda lover, but the 954 (in addition to a lousy name) just looks like a jumble of parts. The R1 is by far the best looking to my eyes. The Gixx looks like the 600/750 and they ain't pretty (except the Telefonica 600).
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 05:12 AM   #18
yzf1070
Founding Member

So far I agree with most every comment you fellas have made, with one exception..... Speaking as a person who has been lucky enough to spend quite a bit of time on two of the bikes in this comparison (Suzy and Yammie). I'll take your word for the insight on the Honda. The Suzuki is strong as all hell but does already look and feel dated next to the Yammie. The Yamaha's handling is sublime, it's suspension is firm yet compliant, fuel injection is above reproach, with the thrust of a lear jet... A perfect balance... The Honda must be a marvelous machine and I hope someday to have the pleasure of experiencing it's charms... Now the gripe, Hackfu I think you may have gone a bit far in saying that the luggage straps on the Yamaha are a "fatal flaw". Personally I thought they were quite ingenious. I mean after all these bikes are ridiculous by nature, who needs a bike like any of these? These bikes are about passion not convenience. I think the exposed hard luggage points on the other two machines, while perhaps ergonomically superior, are flat out ugly. A concession to practicality on a machine that by it's very nature is completely impracticle. If you want luggage get a beemer....
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 05:18 AM   #19
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Whoa! Check out the onboard video. I believe the rider on on the R1. Watch the tach. On the straights, he never gets anywhere near redline. This means he could be a gear lower. This means the thrust at the rear tire could be maybe 20% higher. Hence, he could be accellerating much faster.

Guys, don't tell me the Gixx outpulled you because you were in the wrong gear. Now, before anybody flames me, I know that the power is easier to modulate in a higher gear in corners, but don't ***** about straight line power when you should be in 2nd but are in 3rd.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 05:23 AM   #20
jmeyn
Founding Member

Apparently the R1 wheelie tendency isn't a problem that needs discussion. Why is that?

Shouldn't a bike spin it's rear wheel before it lifts it's front when the rider is in his/her normal riding position? Apparently this is true of the 954 and the Gixxer, while the R1 requires extra weight up front. This could be a problem if emergency acceleration were needed.

I think it's clear that, with a short learning curve, all three bikes can be managed by any reasonably experienced rider and that's amazing for machines with F1-like acceleration!

Great start, guys!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote