Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-02-2002, 10:10 AM   #131
Haru
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike Shootout

Wind protection is wind protection. Whether its to take you to 200+ mph, or to keep your helmet from buffeting on a street bike at 150mph, or to let you travel at 90mph for 3 hours without stretching your arms by a foot, the point is that on a motorcycle, wind blast is my enemy and wind protection is a good thing. The Ducati GP bike offers lots of tuck in protection, and probably not much when the rider sits up. But it DOES offer protection when and where the rider needs it. None of the replica race street bikes do where and when this rider would need it.

I ride a ZX-12R which has good but not great wind protection. Sure, a racer tuck can get me to 180 indicated very smoothly, but whenever I am not tucked in, the air is beating my body up. It may not matter for 20 second bursts to 150mph, but its a royal pain when I spend a day in the saddle on the back roads. My whole torso and arms are tired from fighting the wind blast. By the end of the day, I tuck in behind the fairing even on 60mph slow roads just to get out of the blast.

I am going to install a much taller screen on the 12, and hopefully that will go a long way.

I laugh at the whole idea that wind protection on street bikes is for pu$$ies, as if somehow you're more of a hardcore bada$$ if you scoff at wind protection. Actually the joke is people who give up functionality for style and heroic tough guy imagery.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2002, 11:12 AM   #132
metal
Founding Member

Sportbikes' aeros are designed for least air resistance when in full tuck. You want your sportbike but you want it to be a tourer too. It don't work that way. If you're gonna do sport riding (which is racetrack, not canyon roads or pulling the trigger on a straight for 20 seconds -- my grandma can do that), then you gotta do as much work as the bike, and your body has to be prepared for it. Your muscles are gonna be sore -- it's a sport, not a freaking video game. It sounds like you need a capable sport tourer, which is fine. It'll go fast and it will give you a broader range of body positioning without blasting you with wind. And by the way, if your whole point is that you don't care about any of these bikes, why post at all?
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 11:17 AM   #133
ballan00
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda 954 vs GSXR-750

Actually I think the dude just wants advice from those of us who have ridden both(maybe someone who had a 750 but just traded it in for a 954). Since I can't say I've ridden either, I guess I am not much help.

- BA
ballan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 11:29 AM   #134
ballan00
Founding Member

Since I spent a great deal of time ripping the last article, I think it is only fair that I give props to MO for providing an entertaining article this time. Nice explanations for how each bike handled on street conditions, and how they feel. Also a good amount of material which consumed a good portion of my excess lunch break. Since I will unfortunately not be able to afford any of these bikes for a while, I am stuck in 600 land and am forced to live my liter bike fantasies through magazine editors.

I personally am stuck between the 954, r1, and the zx9. The r1 looks awesome,and has really really great performance. The 954 is comfortable, and seems to have really great performance. The zx9 while only having great performance, is very comfortable and is $1100 cheaper than the 954 which probably makes it my top pick. Of course, the r1 looks so darn cool that it keeps poping in and out as my #1 choice. The gsxr although spewing testosterone, just seems like it is too uncomfortable and not all that great looking next to the r1 and 954.

I will be interested in seeing how they do at the track. Good job so far guys.
ballan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 02:39 AM   #135
Haru
Founding Member

You mention sport riding being race track. How many of the sport bikes sold spend any meaningful about of time on the race track? And if we are talking race track, how come these sportbikes don't get the same level of wind management that GP bikes do? Come on, admit it, its all for the style, the ego massage, the machismo. "Grandmas need wind protection and I am not a grandma."

And oh yeah, GTs like the ZX-11, CBR-XX, Busa, 12, all have lower wind resistance in full tuck than the replica racers, and they STILL provide way better wind protection.

Bottom line? replica racers are great bikes, but their functionality and usability is compromized to appeal to the ego of the buyer. If the R1 was exactly the same bike as it is, except if its fairing was larger for better wind protection, Its sales would drop in half because it would then be looked upon as a grandma bike.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 05:01 AM   #136
cdurand
Founding Member

Who gets the $50?

I'm a good old Yankee born in Iowa and raised in California.

It's not just the motorcycle press that does this of course. The car reviewers do it, computer reviewers do it to a degree, movie critics have done it for years.

If a reviewer is too honest no manufacturer is going to send their products. I can understand that.. I just wish it weren't so obvious sometimes.
cdurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 05:20 AM   #137
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

Default Re: 954 is the new luxo-tourer

Goodness, I've been censored. I guess we still have to worry about offending them there old spinster librarians. Anyway, the censored post suggested that Busa Boy did some unsavory things with his fist, which would explain why he thinks it's ridiculous to sport tour on anything smaller than a barge-like Busa.

But with an aftermarket saddle and a set of Helibars, there's no reason a top-shelf sport bike can't be an excellent sport tourer. I've put 1000-mile plus days on several sportbikes. [Expletive self censored] the FZ1--give me an R1 that is an R1 for the real world. There's no reason to sacrifice handling and power for comfort. I think the new 954 proves that.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 06:35 PM   #138
nee_dragger
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike - Number Gixxer front end? How the Gixxer can win.

So, if you want to run a liter bike, buy the GSX-R1000 and put Pirelli, Dunlop, or Michelin (preferable) tires instead of the Bridgestones. Then you can dust em on the straights and kick butt in the corners . . . . . I do ! ! ! !
nee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 05:28 AM   #139
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

These are very good points, and stability is a big worry with the 954 for a lot of people, especially after the crash at Las Vegas during the bike's track intro.

I tend to ride fairly fast on deserted twisty country roads, but in all honesty, I don't think I ride fast enough for headshake to be an issue. If I start doing more track days, this would probably be a more pressing concern. Right now my major concern is to get a bike that is easier to ride fast in extremely tight, technical corners, something with excellent front end feel so I can concentrate on looking through the corners instead of concentrating on the road surface. I want to intuite that through the handlebars. From these comparison tests, it seems like the 954 meets those requirements best.

But what the hell do I know? I don't even plan on buying a bike this year. I'm waiting until next year to see how good the new Suzuki SV1000 will be. If they build a better Ducati, I will buy one. If they screw the pooch, I'll probably buy a carryover 954.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 06:24 AM   #140
nee_dragger
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike - Number Gixxer front end? How the Gixxer can win.

Michelin makes a new tire, Pilot Sport HPX, designed to handle the high horsepower / high torque output produced by bikes like the GSX-R1000, Kawasaki ZX-12, and Suzuki HAYABUSA! See Motorcycle Online Product Review section for the article on Michelin Pilot Sport dated October 11, 1999. The HPX has the same qualities as the regular Pilot Sport.
nee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote