Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Year 2002 Open Sportbike Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1134-year-2002-open-sportbike-shootout.html)

jmeyn 04-01-2002 01:04 PM

Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike Shootout

The only reason the 954 isn't as wheelie-prone as the R1 is because the Honda is a bit down on torque/power compared to the R1.

Torque and power aren't the only factors in wheelies. The position of the bike/rider CG and the coefficient of friction (CG) must be included.

Any of these supersport replicas have wheelbases short enough that weight transfer provides enough traction to lift the front tire well before the rear will spin, given enough power and decent pavement conditions.

You're ignoring CG location. Force can't lift the front end at all until weight transfer to the rear wheel is 100 percent. If the limit of traction is reached before then the wheel will lose grip. If the weight on the front wheel at that point is less than zero, you can go faster by putting more weight on the front.

Trace down the post just before yours on this thread. We've been having a really great discussion.

Thanks for your response. And if you don't agree with me, respond to this post. It's a discussion, OK?

Flickmeister 04-01-2002 01:13 PM

Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike - Number Gixxer front end? How the Gixxer can win.

CanuckBusa,

I am definitely certifiable, and you're gonna think I'm nuts, but learn how to REALLY ride, buy a SV650, and stuff 'em in every corner worth flicking into, then grin like an idiot when they blow by you on the straights out of pure frustration.....only to be further embarrased at the next turn :-) Cheers, Jack

jmeyn 04-01-2002 02:47 PM

Correction!

I said You're ignoring CG location.

Sorry, you didn't ignore it. You said ...the GSXR will also easily lift the front wheel under power alone in spite of the slightly longer wheelbase and forward-biased riding position. , so you didn't ignore it completely.

The height of the CG and it's distance from the rear wheel are just as important as power in producing a wheelie. Both are related to wheelbase and (especially) rider position. My argument is that the natural riding position on the R1 is just a bit too high or too far back. If you just love wheelies, it's the bike for you. I like maximum acceleration and I could love the R1 too, as long as I can manage the wheelies with my riding position without discomfort.

In the previous branch of this thread, one respondent mentioned that the R1 CG has been raised in the 2002 model. That may be the (very small) problem.

dwr461 04-01-2002 04:32 PM

Mellow Greetings fellow gear heads,

Here is what I've taken away from this review so far. All these bikes are all really, really, fast. They all handle really well. They are all like owning your own personal NASCAR racer for street use. I guess you should purchase whichever bike has the best dealership in your area. Now that would be a good review. Which manufacturer backs their product the best?

Dave

jmeyn 04-02-2002 02:56 AM

In my area they all come from the same lousy dealer.

Haru 04-02-2002 05:24 AM

look at the fairings on these bikes. just about zero effective wind protection. But wait, thats for old fogeys on Gold Wings, right? No, not really. Look at the fairing on that Ducati GP bike. You could hide an elephant behind it.

If I am going to go fast on it, or if I am going to ride it for long at more than 60mph, it had better have very good good windprotection for my 6'3" body. Any sport bike that can't provide me with adequate wind protection isn't going to get my money. It is absolutely and completely irrelevant how fast or well handling it is.

Which means my interest in these bikes is ZERO.

Van 04-02-2002 05:42 AM

....as is your understandinfg of the wind protection capabilities of the Ducati GP bike, if you think it offers any more wind protection than the GSX-R...

These bikes are designed for aerodynamic efficiency while in the fully tucked position. The Ducati was designed in the wind tunnel, with the rider scrunched down as much as possible for the purposes of increasing the top speed. The Ducati would have even less wind protection than the GSX-R if one were to ride it down I5, tooling along while sitting up and smelling the cow *****...

jmeyn 04-02-2002 06:13 AM

At 6-3 I doubt that you'd fit in the Ducatti at all. The rider in the picture has only inches of clearance in the required full tuck. You surely wouldn't want to cruise for hours at 60+ in that position.

The FJR-1300 should suit you, though. What do you think?

CanuckBusa 04-02-2002 09:04 AM

Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike Shootout - fixing R1 vibes

yzf1070. well i drove a gixxer1000 last year for a short ride and found that the bars didn't vibe much, but you could definitely feel it in the pegs. didn't ride it long enough to decide if it would be an annoyance.

i think i like the r1 best of these three bikes. but, practicality inexorably is pushing me in the direction of the honda - even though its injection isn't as good, it isn't as powerful, and it isn't as stable.

you see i drive sometimes all day in the mountains. and i am wondering if maybe the r1 is gonna get real tiring to ride after a couple of hours because of the ergos.

if I only did short rides. the r1 wins. but for those all day rides, and longer trips, it may be too uncomfortable and I may be better off on the slightly less sharp honda.

CanuckBusa 04-02-2002 09:07 AM

Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike - Number Gixxer front end? How the Gixxer can win.

in think the transition from busa to sv is too large for me to make. i am already 10 percent down on power because of the altitude where I live. no, i will just drop one size. 1000cc not to big, not too small.