Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-30-2002, 10:41 AM   #91
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike Shootout

Yeah, I was just checking. Van only called me a sissy.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2002, 10:45 AM   #92
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

I'm hungry too. I think you rode pretty well. Looks to me like JohnnyB had something else on his my, like the aforementioned prime rib you are making me think about so much.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:47 AM   #93
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default divx codec

Maybe you guys should use the divx codec. You could make the video much longer for the same bandwidth or make the same video much smaller.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:21 PM   #94
minime
Founding Member

Actually, I never did that as a child. I may have to try it sometime, though. Sounds like good fun.

(Note to PETA activists: That was a joke. Get it?
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 12:54 PM   #95
stormcloud
Founding Member

IF wheelspin happened only at max grip (which itself is variable) , it still doesnt mean you were accelerating very hard (e.g. a burnout) - and if you were at max accel' then the moment you got wheelspin, you would slow down.

If you lift the front wheel, a simple throttle off will bring it down, but you will still have accelerated and moved forward. If you lose traction, you may not be in a position to stay upright - you dont have proper control - . I'm talking about on asphalt - and in emergency situations you are not expecting to have only one wheel gripping properly. While some can control a wheelspinning bike, I dont think they could do it so well if they werent expecting it and have their body positioned properly.

Cheers.

Hey, I'm not having a big dig - that we are both thinking about aspects of riding puts us ahead of many (and most car drivers)
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 03:57 PM   #96
lightnin
Founding Member

Far from being regarded as the best chassis ever created, most everyone has had negative things to say about the fork on the 1000.

You apparently base your comments on the GSXR on your friends' 750, which in fact has a completely different fork than the 1000... in fact the 1000's fork is made by the other Japanese suspension producer, and it sucks, it has extremely restrictive rebound valve porting and high stiction levels... every competitive racer riding the 1000 has either completely revalved it or switched to the fork off the 750 or an Ohlins. Over high speed sharp irregularities like you describe, the 1000 with the stock fork is anything but composed.

Max McCallister analyzed and detailed this fork's shortcomings in RR World and you can read it on his site as well (Traxxion Dynamics).
lightnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 06:17 PM   #97
jmeyn
Founding Member

But moving your weight forward will stop the wheelie better than just rolling off. Then if you're not at the limit of traction you can accelerate. So the wheelie is limitting your acceleration while you should still have grip.

In the videos the riders are sitting up when the wheels come up. I submit the R1 wheel comes up naturally before peak acceleration unless the rider lies down on it.

Thanks for your response. I disagree in part, but hey, we're talking riding here, right?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 08:07 PM   #98
john
Founding Member

Oh yeah, well my pet monkey's former owners uncle used to race in this series, i forget which one, and he put rockets on all of his bikes, but the GSXR tends to stall out when climbing vertically but the 954 and r1 keep pulling. i wouldnt condone this but its true i got video, man its too bad this is on a message board so i cant show them, but really its true.
Old 03-30-2002, 11:23 PM   #99
nee_dragger
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Open Sportbike - Number Gixxer front end? How the Gixxer can win.

Read my reply to Arrow's question of Friday, March 29, there's your fix!
nee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 10:10 AM   #100
Van
Founding Member

Or, you could reread M.O.'s story here where they describe and confirm the exact same phenomenon I described.....
Van is offline   Reply With Quote