Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-26-2002, 08:27 PM   #81
kdkd
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Openclass Shootout, Part I

Good call and damn right too~
kdkd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2002, 01:37 AM   #82
gypsydr
Founding Member

Default Re: Virtual weigh-in indeed.

Yeah, really. I'd definitely like to see some measurements in your bike reviews. And couldn't the reviewers let us know more about their heights, inseams, sleeve lengths, etc., and then let us know how they fit on the bike's they test?
gypsydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 02:22 AM   #83
ducfast
Founding Member

Default Re: bikes left out in comparisons

Jeez,

What a bunch of alley cat howling.

A $2000, 1995 "motarded" RMX 250 will slap every one of you into wondering why you'd consider these bikes.

Tighten up the road a bit, leave everything to the riders and your 100+ horsies would only make things favor the RMX.

Too bad you can't (street) ride two-strokes in the land of the free eh?

Craig
ducfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 03:39 AM   #84
Haru
Founding Member

hear hear!
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 03:45 AM   #85
granny
Founding Member

While I read motorcycle.com frequently, it's not at the top of my list of favorites nor is it second. IMO, the two best are www.amasuperbike.com and RoadRacingWorld.com (which comes in paper as well). As an example, here is something fun from amasuperbike.com that you may eventually read at MO: At Laguna Seca, Doug Chandler is only a tenth off Nicky Hayden's time for yesterday, a tenth ahead of Anthony Gobert and 1.2 seconds ahead of Mladin! This after many months of Chandler not racing. I'd love to say it's the big beautiful red Duc he's riding, but I can't, Picotte had the chance on the same frappin bike but didn't do it - it's Chandler (and to think that Chandler is dyed Kawasaki green - sigh). Mladin is toast
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 05:40 AM   #86
reggler
Founding Member

all of this feedback further fuels the neverending controversy as to which is the best bike.

the truth is there is no best bike. the reason, all of us that ride are not the same. different height, weight, inseam, ability, etc. etc. etc.

for my $12 a year MO is doing just fine. there isn't a bike mag in existence that has the capability of doing the type of testing and reporting that some of us are asking for. in the end

each of us is going to decide for ourselves which is the best bike. which fits the best, gives

us the performance we are capable of. and maybe most important, which we can afford.

reggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 06:23 AM   #87
sherm
Founding Member

Maybe the best way to do bike tests, especially sport bike tests, is to do each bike individually and report on it individually. Then reserve shootouts for specific comparisons such as track lap times, twisties etc. I think what happens in the shootouts is that one factor, e.g. laptimes, tends to dominate the the entire comparison and disproportionately diminish losers (comfortable, faster than a speeding bullet, but gee wizz, .02 seconds slower than our winner - brand x).
sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 06:35 AM   #88
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: What ... no VALKYRIE??!!

Let me get this straight; you want to compare the 3 most advanced Racer Replicas in the world with a Valkyrie????

ANY fool would know that an '82 V65 Magna would stomp the life out of a Valkyrie, and would provide some legitimate competion in the comparison!

Some people just don't seem to have a clue...

(Please imagine a winking face thingie here. I'd actually put in a winking face thingie, except for the fact that I'm boycotting them on account of that I think that all emoticons are dumb, and I won't be a party to their gaining acceptance in our culture) ):<
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 06:38 AM   #89
itchface
Founding Member

I sometimes get all *****y and stuff before I have my morning coffee too.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 06:44 AM   #90
seruzawa
The Toad

You've apparently missed the point that MO has to beg for bikes to ride. The bike companies give them bikes for specific time periods. Kawasaki didn't bother because they probably don't think MO is very influential. Marketplace influence is what gets the PR flacks for the companies at CW preferential treatment and free trips to Europe.

If you want a publication that the manufacturers kowtow to (because they give glowing reviews in return for ad revenue) go to CW or Motorcyclist. The day that MO starts getting preferred treatment from American Honda is the day to start worrying.