Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-26-2002, 06:42 PM   #71
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Openclass Shootout, Part I

Right on, brudda.

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2002, 06:44 PM   #72
SilverBullet
Founding Member

I love the fact that you guys are including dyno graphs and not just max hp & torque figures. Excellent!!!

On the other hand the "teaser" was too skimpy and you guys should have waited for the Kawi, not that I'm interested in getting ANY of these bikes or that I am biased to Kawasaki, but a complete comparo just makes sense and is a lot more satisfying.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 07:10 PM   #73
pharmboy
Founding Member

I can't wait to see what mods you make to the 9R. I picked up my '02 9R a couple of weeks ago (for $8600 out the door). Now that I finally have enough miles on it to put it through it's paces, I am really pleased with my choice. I can't handle all the power it has now, but I still wouldn't mind a few more ponies and a better exhaust note.
pharmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 07:13 PM   #74
painter_1
Founding Member

I can't believe you didn't include the zx9. {because it can't keep up} 'please'. I bet you take a random selection of 10 sportbike rider's put them on a track with these bike's, including the zx9, and the lap times would be damn close. You say this is about stock factory bike so the $1100 you save with the zx9 dosen't matter. come on. I have a 2000 r1 that I race. And a 2000 zx9 that's my street bike. the zx9 is a better street bike. the r1 is a better track bike I would much rather take the zx9 on a 300 mile ride including the twisties. As for the above mentioned $1100. If you think you don't have to put money into a track bike your dreaming. I don't know any expert level racer that hasn't put at least $2000 dollar's into his bike, even the novice racer. [revalved susp. steering dampner, exhaust. fuel system, tires]. etc. I think there should be two very seperate area's. track and street. That's why I like the zx9 it's a great [street] bike. mike omrra #270
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 07:19 PM   #75
painter_1
Founding Member

P.S. Try taking a totally stock gixxer 1000 against a zx9 with $1100 worth of susp. and carb mods. and i bet is would be very close at the track
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 07:37 PM   #76
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

99, whatever the first frickin' year was in which they were made........
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 07:41 PM   #77
rags23
Registered Member

Default Re: Virtual weigh-in indeed.

I second that! ergo measurements are pretty useful...

rags23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 07:54 PM   #78
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Remember the ZX-6?

Everyone said that that bike "just wasn't in the same league" but I seem to recall one of the Bostroms winning the AMA Supersport Championship with it.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 08:08 PM   #79
rags23
Registered Member

Default bikes left out in comparisons

MO editors,

- why didn't you wait till the Zx9r is ready?

- why didn't you include the Triumph Daytona? It's got '147 hp (stated)', 72 ft-lbs of torque and a real sportsbike attitude.

- What happened to the twins? I would expect atleast the Aprilia Falco to be in the same street-sport category.

I am really tired of waiting for the 'next comparo' before I get to see all the motorcycles' reviewed; for example, the Twins comparo (Mille, Ducati, RC51) - But that's partially justifiable in that they are not real street-sports, but original race reps. But why do you exclude other bikes mentioned above.

* Similarly, when you compare cruisers, try to include other brands like the Bonnie as well.

* Sport tourers doesn't mean it is just the Futura and the VFR.

* Naked bikes include the Speed Triple & r1150r too, not just the Fazer, zrx12 & 919.

* Supersport doesn't have to be just the F4i, R6, zx6 & Gsxr600. We are speaking 'streetability' here @ MO (see the poll on what readers want in a comparison if you have forgotten) - why not include the SV-s? better, why not the YZF600r?

* while comparing 'standard bikes', why not include the zx-7 in the middle weight category?

If I want run of the mill comparisons like the big magazines do including only a few 'popular motorcycles', I can as well subscribe to them at the same price.

Come on guys! Include more details, and widen your testing steads from focusing mostly on Japanese bikes.

Didn't mean to type so much when I started - Hopefully, one of you will answer - or atleast read this...
rags23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 08:20 PM   #80
kdkd
Founding Member

MO is doing a heck of a job for $12 bucks a year - What is the deal with you guys - You log on and at least read SOMETHING new almost every day. Do a lot of you guys sit around and gripe at work, or at home, or for that matter in bed - or is it only here where you thrill us all with your opinions - that are like a-holes - everybody got one. Ain't it possible to just log on and read the stuff - heck go write your own test for $12 and send it to MO. They can print the thing and let the griping and howling begin!!!

All these bikes are damn good and any of them can be made into anything you want if you got the time and money - If you want a Z-9 by all means go get it - If it's the best for you - get it. If you don't want to read the test OK too. Maybe K didn't have a darn 9 up and ready for these guys.....
kdkd is offline   Reply With Quote