Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-26-2002, 09:10 AM   #41
6R_kawi
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Openclass Shootout, Part I

When MO went subscription I stayed away. I just stopped by for a few moments and I see that nothing has changed around here. I Sure am glad I didn't fork over any subsciption money for this garbage.
6R_kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2002, 09:26 AM   #42
ballan00
Founding Member

I was very excited to finally see an "open bike" shootout, but was very disappointed to see absolutely no information about how the bikes compare at all. I think the reason MO is breaking it up into x number of articles is so they can say "Were not lazy, we wrote x new articles in the last week or so", when it is actually only one story.

I am also disappointed that the new zx9 was not at least included in the comparison (granted it does not really have a chance to win). I am in the market for a litre bike, and I am considering the 954, zx9, and r1 (the gixxer scares me a bit and is not comfortable enough for me). The zx9 is my top choice because it is the most comfortable, and is $1100 less than the 954, while offering way more performance than I will ever need. I would have liked to see how it compared.

I also agree with the person who said that he is starting to see his MO subscription as a rip-off. Heck, the coupon they gave me did not even work, and they did nothing about it.

- BA
ballan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 09:42 AM   #43
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default You know,

I was going to withhold comment until I read part 2 of this story, but since so many people seem to share this same opinon, I thought I might pipe up. Obviously there are quite a few other people that are quickly growing tired of Mr. Burns' incessant blathering about nothing in particular. Is he going to be writing every piece from now on? Who did the lion's share of the writing before? It would be nice if they would do it for this story, lest it be ruined by endless strings of run-on sentences having nothing to do with motorcycling.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 09:58 AM   #44
bluedot
Founding Member

Gee .. now your starting to see how your original post came across.

There's hope for you yet.
bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 09:58 AM   #45
Eric
Founding Member

I thought the point of the story was that they haven't done true testing yet. The next part will be the street portion, followed by the track.

I actually kind of like having the testers admit their bias toward a certain bike before the test begins. It makes it a little easier to take the test with a grain of salt.

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 10:15 AM   #46
Babrone
Founding Member

Sheesh, its $12 a year to subscribe to this site, some of you need to quit whining. Don't you realize what it costs to run a site like this? Why do you think so many internet businesses and sites are gone, nobody seems to want to pay a cent for anything on the web. I really dont think they are taking our 1 dollar a month and laughing at us every morning as they try and decide what color Ferrari to take to work each day. Quit watching so much X-Files, there is no conspiracy. If you don't like the site, then leave, nobody is forcing you to be here.
Babrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 10:18 AM   #47
RonXX
Founding Member

I'm really sorry about correcting your spelling, but it is the second time in one thread. It's "Hayabusa" not "Huyabusa". It may be true that the 9R won't win at the track, but how many of these bikes will actually ever be on a track? I'm a big fan of Honda, but if Kawasaki has built a better streetbike that is in the same size/displacement category then it should be given a fair chance. I think MO just HAD to get their shootout done so they could scoop the paper magazines.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 10:24 AM   #48
Grappelli
Registered Member

at least it's not like MCN... "here's a teaser.. now buy the magazine for the rest". What sort of crap is that on a website....?
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 10:34 AM   #49
RonXX
Founding Member

The Sausage King of Chicago's comment that JB used run-on sentences is not true. I didn't find even one. However, he did miss the "have" between "I" and "been" in the last paragraph of his commentary. Too bad JB, I guess you guys are going to lose another $50K in subscriptions due to that one!
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 10:51 AM   #50
Grappelli
Registered Member

Awww. Come on. These guys stick new articles up on the site every day. Not every one of them is going to be earth shattering, but the sheer amount of information being put up has increased significantly. Before subscription and donation calls, the site was updated occasionally. Since then it is updated pretty much daily. There seems to have been a major bike reviewed once a week recently. That I can think of in the last month we've has the ZX12R, FJR1300, a BMW, (a buell?), and now they're onto this comparo.

We're in a small marketplace. online motorcycle sites. And look at what's happening with the competition. As I mentioned in a previous post MCN.com doesn't even post full reviews of new bikes anymore. They just point you at the magazine. Even news, like the Triumph fire, they give you a taster and point you at the magazine.

Now ok. We all want more from this site, and I've certainly said a couple of things.. even got named as Johno's hate mailer (more pipe and slippers really) but this is pretty much the only independant, full time, professional online mag left.

Myself.. I'm happy to pay $12 so that I can get an honest opinion and daily snippets to read. And even if the tasters are frustrating.. the full review is usually only a day or few away... not a magazine purchase..

(PS. Remember when ABC would show the first half of the CART race, then it would be finished on ESPN II? And if you didn't have cable you didn't get to see the end. Remember how maddening that was? Well go look at MCN and re-live that frustration...)
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote