Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-14-2002, 11:41 AM   #1
dickdastardly
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW R1150R reader feedback

Hmmmm......
dickdastardly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2002, 11:44 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Good to see BMW offering a nice package at a reasonable price for a change. My '91 GSX1100 shaftie is going to need a replacement soon......
Old 03-14-2002, 11:48 AM   #3
markszrz
Founding Member

I have one of the naked/super standard bikes and would have liked to try out the 1150R before buying my Kawasaki. It sounds like a great bike, especially with the ABS, luggage and centerstand. However my local dealer "laughed" at me (I live in Southern CA.) when I asked if they had stock. Anyway maybe the other manufactures will follow BMW's lead. It's pretty amazing how BMW can offer what appears to be "more bike" for not much more than I paid for my 2001 Kawasaki ZRX. Good job BMW!
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:32 PM   #4
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default Ask at a BMW dealer next time!

They won't laugh....unless you go there looking for a Kawasaki
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:41 PM   #5
markszrz
Founding Member

Default Re: Ask at a BMW dealer next time!

Actually I wasn't looking for the ZRX at the time but the Beemer after reading a write up about it. I am still kinda amazed that you could get a brand new BMW for under 10 grand. Oh well, I'll ride my Kwak and drive my Pathfinder for a couple of more years.
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:59 PM   #6
Hadji
Founding Member

Default BMW R1150R

I popped into my local BMW dealer a month or so ago to see "what's new" and I saw the new R1150R. They had three of them. One w/o ABS and two with. They also had the R1100S w/ABS at close to 16K. I started asking about the Lightweight version of the R1100S and they said forget about it. So I had resigned myself to buy an R1150R at $9990 w/o ABS.

I was just there a week ago and they had just uncrated an R1100S Boxer Cup! A homologation special patterned after a race series in Europe. It sells for $12K (!) with the wider rear wheel/tire, taller suspension and no centerstand. There is only one for each dealer (about 170) and from what I understand all are spoken for. There is a chance that an additional 130 bikes will be made. I have one ordered and I am at the top of the list, but it doesn't look good with these bikes going to the large volume dealers. If it doesn't pan out, then I will be purchasing a R1150R which is the biggest bang for the buck in motorcycles.

Anyone have any info on the R1100S Boxer Cup?
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 01:08 PM   #7
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW R1150R

I checked one out at my dealer here in Japan. Very nice looking. But the big turnoff for me was that in an effort to shed weight on the bike, BMW put on a smaller alternator and battery. So apparently you can't fit grip heaters or other electronic amenities (heated vest, etc). That move didn't make sense to me considering that 99 percent of the buyers will likely use this expensive bike for road riding.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 02:14 PM   #8
12er
Founding Member

Your dealer didnt offer test rides? Yes I know for the rest of the dealerships this is an insane concept. But BMW and Triumph all offer demo rides here in Northern California.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 02:17 PM   #9
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default A hooligan, you say?

This was a very interesting and entertaining read. I suspected the Beemer would be very good in an all-around sort of way, but keeping up with the Speed Triple? And a hooligan bike?</p>

I've seen pictures of Guzzi's V11 Sport doing wheelies and read that it will do them in 2nd gear without assistance from the clutch. Is the R1150R this kind of hooligan bike? Yikes!</p>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 03:06 PM   #10
Huss
Founding Member

Default Biggest bang for the buck?

Please explain how this bike is the biggest bang for the buck. You can get a FZ1 which has a center stand, fairing, same riding position, 40 more horses for about $2000 less. Or you could get a ZX12 which is now a "sport-tourer" which has double the power/80 more horses for about the same price (with dealer discounting). I've ridden this bike, the RT and the GS and I thought they all had great suspension, brakes and handling. I just didn't like the way the engines vibrated at highway speeds, and the lack of power relative to Japanese machinery. Each to their own.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote