Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-15-2002, 11:27 PM   #71
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default Disposable bikes?

A large bike shop I patronize sells all Japanese makes and is a top BMW dealership as well. The mechanics there told me that the Beemers have a higher frequency of repairs than Japanese bikes. A good friend owns an R1100RS. He's always adjusting the valves and fixing this and that. While BMWs are quality bikes, they aren't any more mechanically robust than their Japanese counterparts--and seem to be less so.

I can think of several reasons that could contribute to the fact that Japanese bikes change hands much more often than Beemers. First, they cost less, so people don't lose so much $$ when they trade them in, or pay as much for the new bike. When you pay $16,000 for a bike, you aren't about to flog it after a couple years and buy another equally expensive one. In addition, BMW doesn't radically overhaul its models as fast as Japanese makers do, so there's less temptation to trade up.

Second, having invested that much money in a bike, BMW owners are likely good about carrying out routine maintenance. They probably also don't abuse their bikes nearly as much as young owners of Japanese sportbikes do.

Third, BMW owners tend to be older, more mature riders. They've already tried umpteen bikes and they no longer care about having the latest, greatest, fastest ride. They're happy to settle down with one bike. Or, they may be new to riding but they aren't so performance oriented and instead enjoy the quality, status and fraternity associated with the prop badge. Buyers of Japanese bikes, on the other hand, are usually younger and want to experience of variety of bikes. They also crave the latest, greatest technology.

Fourth, even though every knows Japan produces excellent products, the postwar stereotype of Japanese products being inferior to Western, particularly German, goods dies hard. I reckon my VFR, properly looked after, will last as long as any BMW.

And fifth, there is no fifth
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2002, 12:04 AM   #72
bobbob_3
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW R1150R reader feedback

Really liked the "little coloured butterflies" metaphor - but I think the phenomenon has more to do with the rider than the bike.
bobbob_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 05:34 AM   #73
dwr461
Founding Member

My Honda's also needed frequent adjustments. I will definitely agree that German bikes need more attention to detail. I honestly believe that BMW thinks that everyone they sell a bike to is a shade tree mechanic who loves to tinker, its really not work, with their bike. They have a different design philosophy than the Japanese, not better really just different. I am one of the BMW faithful (duh, who didn't know that?) so I know my opinions are obviously biased.

Dave

(I like the ST, FJR, and Interceptor a whole lot.)
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 07:02 AM   #74
DragonF6
Registered Member

Hey John, love your writing...a real treat to look forward to every day. Agree with your comment that other bikes belong in that power cruiser group...how about the "Cruiser of the Decade" (the 90's of course) the Honda Valkyrie. Does most everything well and with tons of power. I am trying to change my username as I have decided against the Harley purchase, and have my name on a leftover 2001 Valk that I am in the process of purchasing. One test ride sold me...WOW!

There are 15,000+ members of the Valkyrie Riders Cruisers Club that tell amazing stories of this bike's comfort and reliability.
DragonF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 08:36 AM   #75
LW
Founding Member

The Boxer is a cam in head design that uses short push rods to actuate rocker arms.

I have 6100 miles on my R1150R and have absolutely no FI problems.
LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 08:48 AM   #76
Van
Founding Member

BMW's reputation for no disposable bikes has at least as much to do with BMW's more mature riders as their bikes.

Nonetheless, their bikes are more maintenance intensive than Hondas and at this point any similar purpose Honda will last every bit as long as a BMW.

If you're going to compare an R1100RT to a CBBR600, that's just ridiculous. (Though I personally know of an original motor CBR900 approaching 300,000 miles.) Those two riders use their bikes very differently and buy their bikes for very different reasons.

When BMW comes up with a real light weight and fast sport bike that is updated significantly every two to three years the way Japanese bikes are, then let's talk.

Until then, comparisons must be kept to similar purpose bikes. If you want to compare the Gold Wing's or the ST1100's durability (and maintenance) to Bavaria's Best then by all means, have at it...
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 08:49 AM   #77
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: R1150R

Dang, I must've been HALLUCINATING then, when I was cruising easily along the 405 on the thing at 100 mph, windshield off. Never mind...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 08:52 AM   #78
LW
Founding Member

Thanks for the review of the R1150R, I bought mine on 06/10/01 and enjoy it very much. I have two questions for you:

1) Where did you get the info on the taller seat? I was told by a BMW North America rep that a taller seat would not be available.

2) When will accesories be available from BMW? Namely windscreens. The same rep told me they were available from dealer at this time, but multiple dealers have told me they have no information on 2002 accesories.

My expeirience so far has been that BMW's bikes are great, but there dealers and accesory availability is very poor.
LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 09:09 AM   #79
johnnyb
Founding Member

After reading a couple posts from apparent experts, who said the Boxer is a DOHC design, I ambled out to the garage to have a look (since it only takes 5 mins and one 6mm hex to whip off the valve cover). I couldn't find ANY camshafts in there at all, but did see a pair of forked rocker arms--one for the intakes and one for the exhaust valves--activated by some long tubes originating somewhere inside the engine? What does DOHC mean anyway?
Old 03-16-2002, 09:09 AM   #80
johnnyb
Founding Member

After reading a couple posts from apparent experts, who said the Boxer is a DOHC design, I ambled out to the garage to have a look (since it only takes 5 mins and one 6mm hex to whip off the valve cover). I couldn't find ANY camshafts in there at all, but did see a pair of forked rocker arms--one for the intakes and one for the exhaust valves--activated by some long tubes originating somewhere inside the engine? What does DOHC mean anyway?