Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-15-2002, 07:46 AM   #51
Van
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW R1150R vs SV #2

Knary, and for all of that math the much quicker revving and higher revving SV with much better throttle response described in my post will simply run away and hide from a stock R1150R.

It's not just the motor, though that helps considerably. It's the weight difference, and how that difference alows you to rip through corners much easier. It's the yawning disparity between a Suzuki sport bike tranny and a Boxer's improved but still relatively clunky box of rocks tranny. It's the BMW's lazy power delivery and surging EFI vs this SV's quickly revving power and perfectly responsive carburetion.

(At least the BMW's EFI is easy to fix, if one is willing to bypass the catalytic converter chip in the system.)

The Telelever? It's interesting. It trades feel for stability (which is also a result of its lazy geometry, including a very long wheelbase) which is not a bad trade off, considering the bike's mission in life.

Nonetheless, the SV described in my post is more compliant and more controlled over bumps than any stock BMW, making it ultimately more stable than the Roadster since it doesn't float and get to both wallowing and skittering the way a stock BMW will. Obviously, the difference in front end feel between the two bikes at that point is enormous.

Will any of this matter at the BMW's preferred more sedate pace?

Nah, not in terms of stability it won't.

Will it matter when two equally talented and well skilled riders are really going for it?

Is Burns still pissed at Boehm?
Van is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2002, 07:48 AM   #52
Van
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW R1150R reader feedback

Always.

You hiring?
Old 03-15-2002, 07:57 AM   #53
Van
Founding Member

Default Re: SV650

Rob, I've used both Givi luggage and Ventura luggage and on a bike like the SV I much prefer the Ventura luggage.

When you're not in need of the bags the mounting brackets pop on and off instantly, leaving no fugly left over bracketry at all. Givi luggage usually requires you to either live with the ugly bracketry when you're not using the bags or a more hassle intensive job of installing-removing the brackets every time you take a trip.

As for tires, the stock MEZ4s that came on the SV were standard OEM tires on BMWs as well.

At replacement time I found the 56SSs to be track day sticky enough, they don't cup and I got 7500 miles out of the last set, probably 5000 of which were two up with fully loaded luggage.

$73 for the front, $94 for the rear. Tough to beat.
Old 03-15-2002, 08:01 AM   #54
Haird
Founding Member

My '00 R 1100 R sometimes surges slightly between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm, but nothing that would make it unridable or even nearly so. Overall, the bike is very smooth and the engine easy to control. My guess is BMW has worked out some of the earlier FI problems with the oilhead engine.

Nice article on the R 1150 R. I would consider trading up, but my 1100 is just getting broken in at 8,700 miles. I foresee riding it for many years to come.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 08:10 AM   #55
Charlie
Founding Member

Last summer I was all set to buy a new R1150R, thought it would be the perfect all around bike, comfortable ergonomics, good handling. hard bags, fuel injection, removable windscreen, etc. The local dealer called me when the first one came in. I was so bummed to find out that BMW had changed the ergonomics from the R1100R. The R1150R's foot pegs are too high and too far to the rear and the windscreen is useless. I considered a used R1100R but they are too ugly. Thanks BMW I love my new FZ1 with Rifle windscreen and Tourmaster soft bags. It is by far the best bike this old man has ever owned and oh my what a motor.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 08:49 AM   #56
mike_root
Founding Member

Yep, them pegs are stupid all right, but consider the immensely larger stupidity of those folks who pay several hundred dollars or more to convert rear pegs to forward pegs!
mike_root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 09:07 AM   #57
Haird
Founding Member

When I read the article I expected to find 200-300 comments leaping to the defense of cruisers/H-D, but was amazed to find only this restrained and thoughtful defense of forward controls. What a difference subscriptions make. This reader feedback feature has gotten way to civil.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 09:13 AM   #58
mercybeat
Founding Member

Default About time!!!

I have a 2001 R1100RL and I have been waiting for a decent review of the new R1150R. Even though I won't be buying one. Mainly because after 2 winters and 1 summer with the R1100R I've decided that no matter what bike I buy in 2005 the R1100R is a keeper. It's a great commuter bike. Works very well on the back roads while still being able to handle hours of highway. The R1150R has some great improvements over my R1100R. The handle bars, extra 50cc, brakes, and style.

And getting praise from the great Burns is icing on the cake. This is the same man that told the Buell people "Nothing fell off the bike so thats good". So you know he says what he really thinks.

P.S. I got my subscription after hearing about Burns joining Motorcycle.com And it's been worth every penny. Thanks.
mercybeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 10:06 AM   #59
bilbo
Registered Member

"Ever ridden one of those feet-first cruiser thingies? Ride off from a stop and spend several frantic seconds trying to find the place to put your feet. And then there's the air rushing up your pant leg parting your leg hair... "

Well, I let my Harley riding friend try my R1100R recently, and he said the same thing about my bike! Went and put his feet out in front of him to find the foot pegs, and they weren't there. It's all about what you're used to.

I do agree though that the feet forward position isn't very practical. After riding my buddy's Softail for a while, my tailbone started hurting, and it's very hard to get out of the seat to hang off or shift weight without my feet under me.
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 10:13 AM   #60
Huss
Founding Member

Great piece Van! I've ridden almost all of the oil-heads and while I was impressed by the general feel of the bikes, it was the motors that let them down IMO. The hand-numbing vibration at common highway cruising speeds rendered them lacking. And the lack of power to perform a safe pass fully loaded on a mountain road didn't help either. I've noticed that BMW twin owners immediately discredit such observations, until one mentions that they are not from heresay, but from personal experience. Then the silence is deafening. I really wanted to like the R1150R, but there you go. At least BMW dealers let you test-ride the machines. As for value, it is a great value only when you compare it to the rest of the BMW line. If a Japanese company offered a 1150cc twin (cruisers not included, different category entirely) that made 80 horses with no fairing for $9999, how many do you think they would sell?
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote