Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-15-2002, 02:47 AM   #31
IceWorm
Registered Member

Default Re: BMW R1150R

Hebert Cycles in Baton Rouge has one for sale, Silver I think.

Tim
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2002, 02:51 AM   #32
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: R1150R

Try Reading the Article. Apparently the instrument cluster does fine for highway speeds.

As an aside, I know folks with 100,000+ freeway miles on unfaired /5s.

To paraphrase your wisdoM:

You don't have to do anything you don't want to do, period. One could tour enjoyably without a fairing, unless one is predisposed to not want to.

As for the review of the bike, it is nice to see a longer than a 'short take' of the Roadster. I've been eyeing this bike for some time, but waiting for a review has been tiresome. (Kind of like riding fast on an unfaired motorcycle.) I'll have to run not walk over to my local BMW dealership and ride one.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 02:54 AM   #33
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW R1150R reader feedback

You don't like the gynecological seating positions of said motorcycles? I think they're hilarious!
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 03:08 AM   #34
flatass
Founding Member

You are dead right on the money. BMW reminds me of my first wife...gorgeous,well bred, cultured.But she was a backbreaker money wise..God couldn't keep her happy when it came to cash and on the road course we call sex...she was slow off the light and long in the prep department.We all know BMW has history yada,yada,yada as the kids say. But just because a bike fought on the Russian front (the Germans lost badly) doesn't mean squat today. I have a 1200 Bandit please bring on the BMWs. The 1200 has just the right ergos for an old guy like me (52) to kick thier ass. (and Harleys with their heritage)Lets hear a round of applause for Jap bikes.
flatass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 03:18 AM   #35
IceWorm
Registered Member

Great story Mr. Burns. Good to see that you have settled down here at MO. I can remember the days back when you were employed at Cycle World and you ended up in Arkansas at the R11RS press intro. I must say that you were not nearly as kind

to the new oil head back then as you were to this incarnation of the opposed twin. As I remember the quote went something like this, "BMWs and the people who ride them are not exactly my cup of tea". Well, that comment just about caused me to

cancel my subscription. Glad that I didn't because over the years I have enjoyed your writing, and now you have unleashed your talents on the unsuspecting R1150R. Great job.

On the foot peg thing I doubt Hardley types will ever understand the point you were making about foot peg placement. Sure there are a few Davidson owners who also have sportier bikes and understand how to ride. The majority though I feel have no

idea that the stupid placement of foot pegs has everything to do with style and nothing to do with comfort or motorcycle control. When I see people riding those silly mounts, they all look bow legged to me. Does riding a cruiser make you bow legged?

Tim
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 04:22 AM   #36
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

"Sure there are a few Davidson owners who also have sportier bikes and understand how to ride."

Yeah, we ride Buells.

The 1150R sure looks like a sweet ride. I'm glad to see all the manufacturers bringing out sporty bikes with "sane" seating positions. Not everyone wants a superbike with the "cat in heat" riding position. My Cyclone is great torquing its way though back roads, and is comfy enough to tour on. Seems the old standard, do-everything motorcycle is back!
Old 03-15-2002, 04:25 AM   #37
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

"Sure there are a few Davidson owners who also have sportier bikes and understand how to ride."

Yeah, we ride Buells.

The 1150R sure looks like a sweet ride. I'm glad to see all the manufacturers bringing out sporty bikes with "sane" seating positions. Not everyone wants a superbike with the "cat in heat" riding position. My Cyclone is great torquing its way though back roads, and is comfy enough to tour on. Seems the old standard, do-everything motorcycle is back!
Old 03-15-2002, 04:27 AM   #38
jstoker_1
Founding Member

Nice article. One day maybe you can write a more general piece on motorcycle marketing and design that you touch on--do people buy a bike for what they will actually do on the bike (give people hard luggage and they will use it all the time), or for what the bike is capable of doing (going 160)? I am a big admirer of the latest, greatest Japanese sport bikes, have ridden on a track, watch racing on TV, but suspect that for a significant majority of those that buy them all the advanced technology/componentry is no more useful then the chrome floorboards on your average Harley. Whatever, just rambling.

One quick question on the BMW--did you have any problems with the fuel injection? I have heard that it can be problematic on the bigger boxers. Thanks.
jstoker_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 04:36 AM   #39
JohnH_1
Founding Member

Absolutely, and from another new sub and first time poster in Scotland. I rode the V-Rod for the first time a few days back and liked everything about it, bar the footpegs ... I needed superglue on them just to keep my feet stuck down.

Mr Burns ... him talk big sense!

JH
JohnH_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 05:13 AM   #40
01redr6
Founding Member

Auditioning for a job, Van?
01redr6 is offline   Reply With Quote