Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   BMW R1150R reader feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1105-bmw-r1150r-reader-feedback.html)

lampell 03-18-2002 09:46 PM

Re: BMW R1150R reader feedback

The taller screens must be available as I saw one on a new 1150R yesterday in Marin County California

SRMark 03-19-2002 11:16 AM

Several years ago I owned a K75s, one of the few decent looking BMWs with a sporty look and kinda sporty ride. It too was a great all around bike and I can't believe I was stupid enough to let it go. Now the R1150R comes along when I have neither the cash nor the desire to buy a new bike. Thank God that front fender is so goofy looking or I would be in serious trouble and again be faced with buying a bike with insufficient funds. But at $10,000 this bike isn't that far out of reach. If I just stretch the budget a bit and find an after maket fender... I love the sickness!

rvfrules 03-19-2002 12:26 PM

Nightmare's end?

I checked out your homepage. What a nightmare! Did BMW ever pay up in the end?

Charlie 03-19-2002 01:39 PM

No dought the R1150R has a great suspension for the real world and should prove to be a good all around mount for many thousands of miles. I would have bought one if BMW had left the foot pegs in the same location as the R1100R. My last bike was a VFR800 a bike I liked very much, unfortunately I have poor circulation and any weight on the hands makes them go numb (thatÂ’s why I was looking for a bike with the "sit up and beg" riding position) I chose the FZ1 over the 1150R because the FZ1 was much more comfortable for me in the leg department. The FZ1 has a multi adjustable suspension that is more than adequate for normal street riding. However I plan on doing some track days on the FZ1 (something the VFR was great for) and will be upgrading the suspension. After modifications (seat, windshield, heated grips and suspension) the FZ1 and a stock R1150R will be about the same price. At that point I choose the one that is more comfortable (for me) and has 30% more horsepower. No contest.

blackvalkster 03-21-2002 09:58 AM

Re: Nightmare's end?

Yep, they had 10 days to pay me or I was

going by one of their car dealers with the

sheriff and grabing a new car as payment!

Also, I was supposed to give the bike back,

but they didn't even want it?

I really wanted to lose in court, because I

was already packed and headed on the bike to

their Headquarters in New Jersey, where I

was going to smash the bike to pieces with

a sledge hammer! The Judge here told me

he heard a lot of cases against BMW,

and do I know why! Craig

Huss 03-21-2002 12:36 PM

Re: R1150R vs VFR800?

Er, that's because the editor of Activebike got his BMW from RPM Cycles in Ventura, where he had his day job.... before that he said the ZR7 was the best thing out there, until that was sold off after it started blowing blue smoke...

crackerdaddy 03-22-2002 07:06 AM

Don't keep looking at the bike or you will want one!

The look of the R, even the front fender grew on me big time after looking at it for a while. Now I think it is a great looking design when I initially thought it was a little funky.

Jay_Mack 03-22-2002 09:36 AM

The R1150R has been around for a long time. It was previously called the R1100R. There's not alot different, a six speed gearbox, mostly. The earlier model had cast aluminium clip-ons instead of the new, tubular affair, and manual clutch vs, hydraulic. It has an adjustable seat height. I prefer the older schemes. Same TERRIFIC paralever-telever suspension, same torquey response, similar "quirky" looks. Same low price, light weight, seating upright position and optional ABS brakes. Any additional power in the new bike is small, mostly from exhaust flow and can be gotten from a Remus pipe, which you want anyway.

My 2001 R1100R was the best looking of all of them, BMW Black w/white pinstripes, chrome covers and superb, removable BMW luggage. It was $8000. I Love my Roadster!

Jay_Mack 03-22-2002 11:28 AM

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. Wire Wheels too! *****'n.

Huss 03-22-2002 07:53 PM

I saw your bike Jay, almost 2 years ago I think at the Rock Store so you must have aquired an early release 2001. Wow, time flies..... Anyway, I have to concur, I thought now that's how it should have looked all along! Definitely sweet.