Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Further Adventures of Senor X (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1092-further-adventures-senor-x.html)

ZR-7 03-08-2002 01:23 PM

Re: Further Adventures of Senor X

John,

Nice story! You have touched on the reason that I ride bikes: for the fun of it and memories. My log book is filled with great times and rides over the years.

I kind of feel sorry for the guy that thinks the world revolves around lap times, the new "'02 makes one HP more than a '01," etc. I could give a crap about how many .001's of a second faster each bike can go down a drag strip.

Taking a month long camping motorcycle vacation with a loved one or best friends is cherished. May be an all day ride through the mountains with the same group will generate memories that will last longer than any motorcycle.

I'd keep "Senor X" for the long haul.

Later,

ZR-7

obiwanrazzy 03-08-2002 03:13 PM

MO, you just earned yer $12.

I've always relied on the quick reference aspect of this site, but this is the kind of depth and wellroundedness that makes it an actual online "magazine". You've arrived.

obiwanrazzy 03-08-2002 03:15 PM

By the way... fix the link from the article to the "reader feedback". I guess there's always room for improvement, eh?

dickdastardly 03-08-2002 03:15 PM

Hah! I read the articles back in the eighties

(and still have them in the garage attic, probably). Now I want a damn steet single!

Maybe I'll convert my xr600....

Anyway, I've been wondering what MO was missing, and I just realized that a good editorial once in a while was just the thing.

Great to have you, keep up the good work.

PS, anyone have a cheap ascot 500 or srx for sale in NJ?

Viffer-dude 03-08-2002 03:17 PM

John, beautiful story. I'm attached to an '87 VFR in much the same way - the rides it's collected over the years make the machine much more than just a bike. Part of the family, really.

I'm glad I kept reading towards the end. You can wax on philosophical any time. I wondered what all the banter was about when you came on board, but I must say after having read your first two articles that I'm damn glad I'm a subscriber. Keep it up!

DucButt 03-08-2002 04:00 PM

Right on, Burnsie. Great reading! minime: are you paying him enough? Give my 12 bucks to him, will ya. Take off one of those "Air Exxon Valdez" shoes you wear and pass it around - it's bound to hold quite a few Susan B Anthonys. You do remember those, right? I think Burns bought his first bike with a box full of them. In fact, I bet he still has a box full of them under his bed. By the way Burnsie, if you ever wad up Senor X, you can resurrect the thumper to power your boat - for when you really need to get away. Cheers.

Alohaterry 03-08-2002 04:10 PM

Okay Burnsie... I now have my $11.94's worth of good... no great writing. I see what you were talking about with being limited in your back page article's. It's true at times you need more than 900 words to develop an idea and expand on it just a little.

I remember one of Egan's articles when he talked about all of us being " caretakers of machinery ". We are, and by having this contact with the machines we leave a little of our life force with them and they leave a little of the theirs with us.

You have captured the essense of this part of life, and how machines become part of our own lives.

I look forward to more.

Aloha...

Patrick-of-the-Hills 03-08-2002 06:53 PM

Saw an SRX-6 for the first time about, oh, two years ago, and tried to buy it out from under the rider. Perfect little machine, total shame it's so rare.

Finished "Jupiter's Travels" today, paged through a bit of "The Motorcycle Diaries," then got to this; is it that motorcycles themselves aid in the creation of such ideas and feelings, or is it that the sport attracts people who have that kind of soul to start with, and focuses it? Makes me feel lucky to know about this, and more committed to it.

Oh, and sorry to hear about the home life; hope it gets better soon.

cdhjmatt 03-08-2002 09:23 PM

1986 old??! Pish tush, young man. Why I was bolting up a 36mm Mikuni, Tommaselli clip-ons, quarter-turn throttle, an alloy swing-arm, rear-sets, S&W shocks, and a loud pipe on the SRX's forbear--the SR 500--way back in '78. It didn't stop there: binned the boat-anchor cast wheels, laced up alloy hubs and rims, spooned on some sticky rubber and...my, oh my, that bike was a hoot.

At least I think it was...(if only I could remember)

pat2 03-09-2002 12:41 AM

JB, all I can say is...

...ramble on my friend.

Pat.

navion_pa1 03-09-2002 01:11 AM

Good Story,

I used to think the active motorcyclsist was one of the best internet sites, and this story

gives a good introduction.

Mutoid 03-09-2002 01:40 AM

Wonderful story John. I'm not kidding, to me this is a gold medal, blue ribbon, A Number 1 piece of writing that had me feeling (at least I think perhaps) the same feelings you had while writing it.

I feel like by writing that, you have invited the readership here into friendship, and I'm gall durn proud to be a member and a part of MO.

Thanks tons.

ujm4ever 03-09-2002 02:12 AM

John,

Long time fan. Great article. Thanks for the laughs. Motorcycles and the real world, moto journalism doesn't get any better than this. BTW, I feel your pain on the domestic front. Feel free to write if you need to chat, we're in the same "boat".

MO,

Double my subscription rate and send half of it to JB's Swiss bank account. (You do have one don't you John?)

ujm

jakerson 03-09-2002 02:49 AM

Nice work. Not really like Pirsig with his Platonic musings, but HEY JOHN, thats some nice work!

It reminds me that somehow rubber and metal and petro can manifest some sort of mysterious mojo that makes them more a part of our lives than any inanimate object ever should be. They pull memories out like a cheap dentist going at a wisdom tooth without the 'caine... you know you need it, and you know you are gonna feel something. (well... the 'caine is a good thing too)

Thanks for going digital. I hope your exodus shows the freedom, quality and inspiration produced when a good writer doesn't have to worry about NO Stinkin' word limit.

One question for all the rich playboys working ("working"?) there at MO: If you have this mysterious multi-billionaire pouring cash into MO, what good is my paltry 11.94 really going to do? Shouldn't we all be dipping at that billionaire's generosity? Heck, he could finance all of it, give us all refunds and call it a "tax write off." Creative accounting is really en vogue right now. :-)

Welcome you 2 wheel warrior. Write on!

luvmyvfr 03-09-2002 04:04 AM

John - A great piece, it is a gift to be able to express ones feelings about a machine so well. I'm glad you can capture what I've felt about machines I've owned, and other things I've loved too, and forgot about, until I dug them out of a box or bin and tried them out again, realizing I was still in love with them.

MO - This type of writing is why I love reading about motorcycling and motorcyclists. It's even better than arguing the finer points of riding styles and aging in the feedbacks...

Keep it up guys, you're worth every penney.

luvmyvfr

einarsen 03-09-2002 04:50 AM

I own a street (stock) SRX and I can attest that the bike is one of my all-time favourites. It's pure "motorcycle" ... very primal.

Anyway, for those interested in thumpers check out the mailing list at:

http://www.dorje.com/mailing-lists/

and the Thumper page at:

http://www.perardua.net/thumper/thumper.html

--Brad

rcgolly 03-09-2002 05:00 AM

Yes! need more of this type of writing, can't get enough of it. Those articles are the first thing I read when I get a bike mag, after a quick scan of new bikes ... Keep it up and welcome aboard!

Apex_1 03-09-2002 05:58 AM

Welcome Smartass!

Well, I got about half way through that Senor X article, then had to leave because I was not in the mood for that rambling right now--I'll check it out later. But I did want to welcome Burnsie to MO. In his Motorcyclist column a couple of months ago he basically said he would have to tone it down. Now hopefully, he will not. I just hope he does not decide to return and leave the old rag again and again like TC seemed to do. Hopefully we'll see lots more of JB now and that his considerable talents and unrelenting propensity to be a smartass will once again make MO a daily read.

onedownfourup 03-09-2002 06:29 AM

Welcome aboard, JB. You are the reason I finally broke down and subscribed. Looking forward to more from you, and possibly other underappreciated touchy-feelies. I'm a 46 year old Road King owner. I put major miles on my bike throughout the Southwest. If I'm scraping footpegs with the engine at redline, something's probably gone horribly wrong. Your well-written pieces are just what I'm looking for. Keep 'em coming!

Elseanno 03-09-2002 06:29 AM

Right on! I remember when those bikes came out.....This crazy old french hairdresser that lived nextdoor to me bought one. I thought it was the coolest. This article is giving me a boner to rebuild my poor old SR 500........I have an aquaintance with an SR pumping 70 hp and eating monsters, R6's and anybody that isn't club racer or better........This guy is 65 and his bike sounds like a motorcycle. I wonder if he'd help me build it......

minime 03-09-2002 06:54 AM

"Pouring cash into MO?" Hah! I wish that was the case. Here's the deal:

We leased the building we're in now from the previous owner, we'll call him "Jim." Now, when the new owner--we'll call him "Deepak"--bought the building, he bought it as a (little) investment for his daughter and as a place to store some of his 4-wheeled toys in the meantime.

So, whilst I was negotiating lease terms etc. with "Deepak" we figured it'd be great if he keeps one half of the building, we get the other half, plus all the upstairs office space. He was happy with that. We agreed to terms and signed papers and all was good.

When he came by last week to make sure everything was cool--switching locks, alarms in back, moving our ex-Buell race stuff from the back half--John and I hit him up with the shower idea. It was then that this multi-millionaire said, straight-faced, "you split the cost?"

Believe me, in no way is he "pouring cash into MO." I'd say that he's a nice enough guy, but he has no interest in our little business. He's only aiding in the stability of our bottom line by, oh, about just a little more than nothing by reducing our monthly overhead with the renegotiation of the building's lease terms (which makes sense because we now have 1/2 the floor space).

Anyway, I hope that answers the question. Though, if you know any multi-billionaire who wants to pour cash into MO, please, have him (or her) give me a call. If it's a woman, I'll even throw in a husband...

Minime

oldandslow 03-09-2002 06:55 AM

"...have I bored you yet?" - quite the contrary! I want to hear more AND I want to come work at MO!

Thanks for the great stories!

Write/Ride on!

zelatore 03-09-2002 07:24 AM

Bring it on! I love this kind of stuff. BTW, I finally had to give up living on my Unifite for lack of a garage...sounds like Burns has it made!

headhunterracing 03-09-2002 07:56 AM

Re: Further Adventures of Senor X From the Minneapolis office

JR Hunter, From the Minneapolis desk, Im glad to see MO and Burns have now,Brought us back to our youth, it sounds like alot of motorcyclist are going out to the garge and down to the basement. Untarping there "Project" bikes that been until now something we told our buddies we were going to build some day! The day is here! now my fellow Burnies! go forth and BUILD, REBUILD and down right TINKER! fire up those poor bikes that until last week thought they would never smell the sweet smell of 92 oct. gas again! I hope this summers streets will be filled with sr500,500ascots and maybe a few lucky SRX!!

p.s. im in an ice storm and bizzard! HELP!!!!!!

headhunterracing 03-09-2002 07:56 AM

Re: Further Adventures of Senor X From the Minneapolis office

JR Hunter, From the Minneapolis desk, Im glad to see MO and Burns have now,Brought us back to our youth, it sounds like alot of motorcyclist are going out to the garge and down to the basement. Untarping there "Project" bikes that been until now something we told our buddies we were going to build some day! The day is here! now my fellow Burnies! go forth and BUILD, REBUILD and down right TINKER! fire up those poor bikes that until last week thought they would never smell the sweet smell of 92 oct. gas again! I hope this summers streets will be filled with sr500,500ascots and maybe a few lucky SRX!!

p.s. im in an ice storm and bizzard! HELP!!!!!!

DaveFla 03-09-2002 08:02 AM

"Doesn't mean I won't consider all reasonable offers."

Ahh, I never saw the hook! Thanks for the larfs, John.

-Dave

Patrick-of-the-Hills 03-09-2002 09:52 AM

Yaaag! I'll remember this for sure next time I wander past the self-help section at work.

Pray tell (if discreetly), what does this, ahem, "Deepak" person keep for four-wheeled recreation? Be kind of fun to see what abutments to TM he finds favor in.

Oh, and my preferred alternate title to his most recent tome is "Publish More, Grow Richer." Can't fault the guy for giving folks what they think they need, though....

davyt 03-09-2002 11:13 AM

Burnsie, et al,

Feel free to continue to trot out the touchy-feely stuff. Well, at least the feely stuff; no touchy, please, hate to give people the wrong impression, don't 'ya know. I have a dim recollection of a picture of (a youthful) J.B. standing proudly with Senor X and his kid, the latter still in swaddling clothes astride the seat.

And don't forget you've got friends--or at least fans--who want to see you get through your current tribulations intact.

Davy

P.S. Methinks you've been just a wee harsh on your former employer: Bodden's stuff is certainly worth the read and I suspect he'll only improve with time.

12er 03-09-2002 02:27 PM

I miss that site, great stories and a nice break from "the 2mm less rake has made all the difference in this years model..." of other sites.

blademan 03-09-2002 05:43 PM

I want Burns to do a story and tell the entire breakdown of his relationship with Boehm. Please give us the story to let us know the behind the scenes of Motorcyclist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sqidbait 03-09-2002 06:45 PM

Well, I thought I could hold out, but as soon

as I saw the preface to the article, I knew

that I would have to subscribe.

I hope you're all happy now!

As an aside, I subscribe to most of the

bike mags, and I like this type of article

more than the reviews of the latest & greatest

hardware. So, please keep it up. To

paraphrase Peter Egan: there is no

correlation between the price of a bike

and the amount of enjoyment one can get from

it!

-- Michael

frankz 03-09-2002 08:15 PM

Can a moderator delete this post, and possibly teach this person how to post messages?

frankz 03-09-2002 08:18 PM

Nevermind... I found the "dipstick" button ;)

Sparky_1 03-10-2002 12:09 AM

A nice read; and reminder for me that our sport is not about just having the latest, fastest, or shiniest whatever to grace the garage. Cheers for the old stuff.

ride2live 03-10-2002 12:37 AM

Frankly, I think MO needs to look at article focus. I mean, really, how many readers are knee draggers? Racing reviews have their place put let's not forget most subscribers are casual but experienced riders interested in articles about rideability around town and country than risking life and limb on the latest fastest machine. While we're on the subject, where is a 919 or YZ-1 type bike with full upright fairing, a stretched out wheelbase and capable of removable luggage for under $10K? Seems there is a real void for an entire market segment.

dwr461 03-10-2002 10:41 AM

That was a great article. I sure wish I could find an old 1974 Honda CB350G. (As opposed to the new ones.) The bike wasn't nearly as nice, but it was my first. JB you actually touched me with that story. I am very sorry to hear about your home life. Just keep on keeping on as they say.

Dave

ZR-7 03-10-2002 11:05 AM

I asked the same question a few years back. All I could come up with was the Kawasaki ZR-7 for about $6,000. The ZRX wasn't for sale in CA.

I fully agree with your thought on the average rider.

Philip

'00 ZR-7

Randy_Andy 03-10-2002 03:18 PM

I've got this 63 Triumph Bonneville 650 sitting in a couple of boxes. Its been like that for 6 years. I bet that it will be assembled and renovated before christmas due to your fine article JB. Thanks for the inspiration, and the entertainment. Looking forward to reading your next article.

Thanks again.

LCC 03-10-2002 03:32 PM

Now that is a real article about a real man and a real motorcycle. It is refreshing to hear that someone so close to the pulse of motorcycling in this day and age can appreciate a motorcycle with the character and simplicity of an SRX-6...what a cool scoot! I have dealt with the cruel comments of friends, supposed motorcyclists, for many years whenever I placed the SRX-6 at the top of my wish list. And I am only a tender 31 years of age! Don't tell my ZX-9! I'm glad to know I am not the only one who resents aging, deals with marital and professional issues, and sleeps well knowing I have captured the essence of this lifestyle that is 'motorcycling'! Keep it up.

bowtydaddy 03-10-2002 04:39 PM

Average rider, hmmm. what is an average rider I wondered? I've had a 30 year love affair with these two wheeled motorized hunks of steel and rubber and during that time I have met a varied group of motorcycle enthusiast, young and old. Theres probably a survey that breaks us all down into a category, but it's all meaningless to me.

Anyone who has ridden or owned a motorcycle probably has a story to tell. While many readers may be interested in the" latest and the greatest , as time goes by the same readers will have thier stories to tell. Senor X is more about resurrecting an old bike, something I think every enthusiast should attempt. It is very rewarding and a lot cheaper than buying a new bike. Great story!