Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-05-2002, 12:21 PM   #1
mcjunkie
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Speed Triple reader feedback

"big mean bug look" - I like it.

FIRST POST
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2002, 03:06 PM   #2
psmcmurr
Founding Member

In the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer® News they did there own rider feedback and one problem was factory to dealer support. For most riders this would be a big problem getting parts and questions answered if there is a problem.
psmcmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 05:38 PM   #3
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Triumph on TV

I never liked Speed Triples. Until I saw one in motion on Motorcyclist's TV show on Speedvision (I don't care who owns it, it will always be Speedvision to me). Something about seeing the bike move and lean and bounce really made it work. I'm a convert.

Hey, Hackfu, how do you like that Ku****ani Real Ride suit? Perhaps a review coming up?
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 06:14 PM   #4
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

The original Speed Triple from 1995 or so is one of the best-looking bikes I've ever seen; I guess I've never forgiven Triumph for turning it into the willfully awkward/butch creation marketed today. Then again, I guess that might be part of the appeal; like the Buell t-shirts say, "We're loud, we're ugly, and we don't care." (Or something to that effect.)

As much as I support the general idea of dealerships having more choices beyond plastic and cruisers, this one I'll have to pass on.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 06:29 PM   #5
blademan
Founding Member

I talked to a guy that needed a few parts for his Daytona which was about a year old when this happened. He went into the dealer, they looked up the parts and told him it would be 3 months. It later had taken 6 months and the parts arrived. One of the pieces he ordered was plastic and it took long because it was back ordered. No F*CKing thank you.
blademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 06:34 PM   #6
Z3Coupe
Founding Member

So am I the only one that thinks MO needs to re-visit the '97 Open Bikini Shootout? A new and improved Speed Triple, a new and improved Monster S4, and a brand new Buell... It needs to be done. You have my dollars, make it happen.
Z3Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 06:43 PM   #7
Scott_Casper
Founding Member

I bought my 2002 Triple in late January of this year, and so far (just broke 1000 miles in six weeks) I love this bike. The power, the feel of it blasting through the curves, the hum of those triples, and the attitude that it carries made this bike a love at first ride.

As for parts go, so far that hasn't been a problem. Recently the clutch lever was broken in half when in a panic I dropped the bike when a cager in the left had turn lane decided to turn right instead (A note here...Stoppies are cool when you are planning on doing them). It took a couple of phone calls to find a dealership that had the part in stock, but that was it, and the wait at the other dealerships wasn't more than a week. As for accessories goes, I've been quoted a weeks wait for various parts, and have been told that some parts aren't shipping yet...like the "performance silencer".

Now for my one real complaint. The "trunk" is very poorly engineered, its a pain to put back on after you take it off. You have to hook the left side first, twist, and then push down on the right side and the back at the same time while standing on one leg and making sure the bike is aligned with Mars.
Scott_Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 06:50 PM   #8
tshelver
Registered Member

Always thought that this type of bike was supposed to be a practical all-rounder. The original comparo had the Buell that seemed to be on the recall bench more than the road, the Ducati that needs a hefty bank-balance and a really good dealer nearby to service, and the Triumph with limited spares inventory and poor support.

No Thanks

I'll stick with my plastic Kawasaki. Getting another one so I get rid of my BMW, for all of the reasons above.

I prefer to ride rather than pose.
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 07:20 PM   #9
TheFox
Founding Member

I second the motion. This will make me subscribe.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 07:24 PM   #10
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Triumph Speed Triple

I know this seems silly, but did anyone else notice how the pic of the bike doing a wheelie was rotated to be more level rather than more vertical?

I think this is the first time I have even seen a photo of a wheelie being downplayed. Just thought it was odd.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote