Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-06-2002, 12:39 PM   #41
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Speed Triple reader feedback

(way too much of this stuff in the article--Ed.)
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2002, 01:04 PM   #42
Haird
Founding Member

My wife will be glad to hear that as her unemployment runs out in a month. I understand that that wicked Daschle also wanted to extend payments past 26 weeks ... no chance now that the "recession" is "over."
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 03:46 PM   #43
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Jesus, Burns.

Glad to have you abord, and all, but lighten up a bit, eh?

Believe it or don't, these guys have much better than average writing skills...enough to survive for a number of years without you. I do not by any means wish to disparage your arrival to these pages...er...screens. I am happy for it. However there were enough editorial remarks in that last story to interrupt the flow, subsequently reducing my reading pleasure.

If you have that much to say about it that you simply can't get by without saying yourself, then write a Second Opinion in the sidebar.

If you genuinely take issue with a perceived lack of thoroughness by the writer, perhaps take it up with him before the story is published, rather than scribbling all over the margins as though this were the Talmud.

And if you have such time as to make an editorial comment roughly every other paragraph, perhaps you also have time enough to actually edit for form, as well as content. Things like spelling, grammar, and complete sentences are small details which have vast impact in a medium overarchingly comprised by the written word.

To wit:

"...a little fade in some hard-braking downhill zones began to filer in. No worries..."

--Filter in, maybe?

"Either way, it's no big."

--No big what?!

And please don't be childish with the reply that by post hasn't exactly followed the MLA Handbook for Writers. The difference is that you are professionals, and a higher standard is applied, especially if you wish to have peoples' money in the bargain.

I have enjoyed your writing in the past, and if you are editor here, now, then you know that the final responsibility for a well-turned, polished product is yours.

I look forward to more great writing, with fewer ancillary interruptions.

Thank you,

The Aerodynamic Head
Old 03-06-2002, 04:00 PM   #44
Haird
Founding Member

And throw in a 'vette just for laughs.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:04 PM   #45
Haird
Founding Member

I found it quite humorous.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:27 PM   #46
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

The "Give them a window onto our world of sublime magazine-guy buddiness by using staff-banter-by-editorial-comment" attitude worked really well with only one person in my memory, and that was Greg McQuide. He was the only editor at that magazine from whom or about whom the good-natured poking fun seemed at all genuine. From the rest of them it sounded contrived, forced. And it was one of the stylistic reasons that I declined to renew my subscription at Motorcyclist and give the money here, instead.

The "banter-via-comment" *is* funny, to be sure, but in a canned way, much as a stand-up routine is rehearsed. It sounds fake; and as I said, funny or no, it interrupts the flow.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:36 PM   #47
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Optimistic, yes

Take a look at the R1 Dyno run!!!

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 05:32 PM   #48
Grappelli
Founding Member

living in an Orwellian 1984? ("Chocolate ration has gone up from 200grammes to 100grammes") There has been a recession, just not a long one and we seem to be coming out of it because the economy has started growing again. That doesn't mean there wasn't one. Yes I do read the news.. every day.

More to the point I also have owned a triumph, for which I was given EXCELLENT and prompt service. Best of any bike I've owned and much better than my current BMW where I had to wait 3 months for a replacement cylinder when the finish got damaged by a seal blowing. (Having said that, I was still on the road and I do love my GS)
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 06:14 PM   #49
Z3Coupe
Founding Member

If you want to get technical, we did not actually have a recession. The classic economic definition of a recession is contraction of GDP for two or more consecutive quarters. We had one quarter of contraction, so therefore there was no recession.
Z3Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 11:58 PM   #50
mod
Founding Member

Default Tell the editor twit to zip it

Pithy review of a fun bike. Good job MO.

But can someone please tell the editor to stop being a total twit by stamping his inane and self induglent comments all through the review.

We don't pay you guys money to have our reviews interupted by a set of neathalic (sp?) margin notes, thank you very much.

Otherwise, great site.

MOD
mod is offline   Reply With Quote