Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-02-2002, 11:29 AM   #61
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha FJR1300 reader feedback

Where do you live? I have read that the new FJR is not a hot weather type of bike, cooking you good, while the RS does an excellent job of keeping the heat off.

I too wanted to replace my Connnie with the FJR until I read about the heat problem. One of the things I dont like about my Connie is that it bar-b-qs me well done, here in the Arizona summer. I am going to have to wait for some better info. Doesnt sound good though and I am very disappointed.
arizonagerg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2002, 12:17 PM   #62
spkrplus
Founding Member

"Earth to Patrick, come in Patrick...". This is a press release for a 1300cc sport touring rig. Your love for Suzy's great wittle 650 twin is appreciated, but not your whining. Considering your infatuation, & the difference in the machines, it is curious why you even read the article. To imply that your love affair with a cute 650 twin invalidates the greatness of a big sport-tour bike is just plain ludicrous.
spkrplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 12:21 PM   #63
nbyers
Registered Member

Honda tried to sell this bike in the US for 5 years. They called their version the CBR1000F.

585 lb. wet, 130 HP, 10.9s quarter mile, great fairing, comfortable, would do anything.

1990--Introduced in the US.

1992--Bold new graphics. Didn't sell enough to bring in any 1993's.

1994--Reintroduced with linked brakes, which were panned by bike mags. Weight up to 600 lb. wet.

1995--Last year in the US due to lousy sales.

In short, I think Yamaha was right. The FJR1300 will sell fine in europe, but not well enough here.

That said, I hope I'm wrong and that there are enough (ahem) mature motorcyclists (are we mature when we want 145 HP?) around to make it a success.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 12:23 PM   #64
nbyers
Registered Member

Check that--it was 1992 that Honda didn't import any CBR1000F's.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 12:31 PM   #65
spkrplus
Founding Member

I have absolutely no bones to pick, only the facts to report. You might want to wait for the H. My Yamaha XV920 had no piston rings & no tail light lens available about 5-6 years after US delivery stopped, even though the bike still was sold in Europe! This is an insult, as of course the parts had to exist overseas! I read of similar reports in MCN-US. The owner of a relatively high production bike (I think the FJ1200) requested parts only a few years after US sales were discontinued. When told they were not available, he expressed disapointment. The brazen Yamaha dealer told him it was time to get a newer bike, so he did...down the street from Soichiro's company. I had similar bad parts experience with Kawasaki. HONDA STILL HAS PARTS AVAILABLE FOR THE BENTLEY MODELS FROM THE '60'S, though they are thinning out. Your chances of parts delivery problems with a Honda are exponentially less than Y & K.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:35 PM   #66
spkrplus
Founding Member

Default Re: Thanks Yamaha!

I'll tell you why the Y costs so much less than a Honda. Yamaha insults owners on parts support about 3 years after they drop the model. See my post above. Honda cares about customers after the sale, Y & K come out with another lesser priced bike to sell you.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:49 PM   #67
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Well said.
arizonagerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 01:17 PM   #68
mattg
Founding Member

Please don't get me started on the topic of lawyers. I don't feel like melting down my hard drive down today. excellent point though.
Old 03-02-2002, 01:19 PM   #69
Super12R
Founding Member

The new kawasaki ZZR12 will blow this barge out of the water. The kaw has the famous ZX11 pedigree the FJ has nothing. It will only last a year until they pull it back out of the US.
Super12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 01:32 PM   #70
btanner
Founding Member

Just stroked a $500 check to my dealer this morning. Can't wait 'til August. I'd be curious to know how many riders actually put down a deposit between now and the April 30th deadline. Hey MO, can you keep track for us? Add me to the list.

I've got a '99 Bandit 1200 for sale if anyone is looking for one.

Brad Tanner

btanner is offline   Reply With Quote