Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Yamaha FJR1300 reader feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1069-yamaha-fjr1300-reader-feedback.html)

MG57 03-02-2002 06:07 AM

Re: Yamaha FJR1300 reader feedback

I would take the "521 lbs. dry" with many grains of salt. The Japaneese companies in particular, are notoriously optimistic (read, downright dishonest) when quoting weights. Is it accurate to measure the weight of a liquid cooled machine w/out coolant and a battery? I think not. This is something that should be standardized w/in the industry, or at least agreed upon by the manufacturers. Maybe the newly acquired Mr. Burns could tackle this one.

This bike will come in at well over 600 lbs. with a tank of gas. Anyone who thinks this will be some sort of light weight touring bike will be sorely disappointed. Other than that, I have no problems with it and welcome the choice.

DMoen 03-02-2002 06:24 AM

Cool bike! Want one!

Have a look at the ****pit shot though....is the indicator light farthest to the right on the bottom row of idiot lights the "check engine" light common to most EFI engines? If so why does it have to pe a picture of a automotive style lump with a big air filter on top and a nasty ol' fan poking out the front?

TheFox 03-02-2002 07:09 AM

Yamaha is still pissed off about the GTS debacle. That bike was similar to this one in purpose only, but I think Yamaha is just suffering from once bitten twice shy. They got burned the only time they brought a bike like this to market, but don't realize why the bike in question didn't actually didn't sell.

--Foxy

12er 03-02-2002 08:40 AM

Take a RS for a test ride then check out the fjr. The FJR probably will win out, well at almost half the price after taxes and thats without the bags on the RS. I love my RS to death and have 14K miles on it in under 9 months. The telelever front end is too sweet when out playing, but you cant adjust the front suspension. Then again I havent had the need to. Few things most people dont know is on the 02 KRS cruise control is now stock, comes in handy on those 500+ mile days, heated grips are stock, power socket and 700 watt alternator (heated jackets rock!). Also you have POWER ABS brakes. One finger is all I use to haul her down corner to corner. Though the front brake activates both brakes, some people dont like linked systems but this one I cant tell that they are linked, the bike just plain stops and stops quickly. My favorite thing about the RS though is the adjustabilty. I went out playing on thursday and raised the pegs, lowered the bars and windscreen and had a blast. Then you can raise the bars, lower the pegs and raise the screen and go back into tour / commute mode. BTW Im 6'6 with a 36 inseam... Still would like to see what the Yami has to offer though, been intrigued by this bike since it hit the other side of the pond.

charlieV 03-02-2002 09:01 AM

First, a BIG Thank-You! to MO for bringing us this 'scoop news'...I wonder when the print guys will get the word out? Thanks to any and all of you who wrote or called or lobbied Yamaha to bring the FJR1300 to the U.S. Put my deposit down this morning...now the waiting begins. I hope everyone who 'committed' to buying if they brought it in, in fact, buys....

drandall 03-02-2002 10:00 AM

Mattg,

America is the reason Americans don't get the first and newest 'stuff'; we are so litigious that all manufacturers are terrified to bring anything to our market that hasn't had a couple years of real-world testing first.

Remember, we are the reason there are s*****-bag lawyers (if there was no demand for them, there wouldn't be any), and if we'd stop sueuing about everything, we'd have the cool goods first.

goezy 03-02-2002 10:58 AM

Dave - took the words right out of my mouth. At 6'4" & 34" inseam & 250# would be nice to have a comfortable tourer that fits. I took a chance and put my deposit down today. Guaranteed delivery by Aug - according to the shop owner.

rich

arizonagerg 03-02-2002 11:17 AM

I too was ecstatic when hearing of the upcoming release of the sport-touring holy grail. I was pumped and writing that $500 check. Then reality set in. Following the info of a post listed here, I went to the european fjr website: www.fjrowners.com. There I found some disturbing news:

The new fjr appears to be a cooker in hot weather. According to some Australian owners, starting at 85 degrees or so, it becomes down right unbearable. Apparently the engine vents all the heat onto your left leg. Not a good thing for me who lives in Arizona, where we are already getting some 80 degree weather, and that 100-120 degrees is not too far away.

I want to get rid of my Connie for two reasons: The BUZZZZZZ, and it cooks me well done in the summer. To me, the whole idea behind this type of bike is to be fairly comfy, and over the years I have found that no matter how much I like a bike, if I am not comfy, I dont get on it as much. (Connie in the Arizona summer)

Sounds like I need to rip up that check for $500 and wait for some testing and time in the states. I guess the new st1300 and R1150RT are back on the option table, if I could ever afford one of them.

Hopefully, in the future, MO will do another sport-tourer comparo including the fjr, st1300, R1150RT, and maybe a few others.

arizonagerg 03-02-2002 11:18 AM

I too was ecstatic when hearing of the upcoming release of the sport-touring holy grail. I was pumped and writing that $500 check. Then reality set in. Following the info of a post listed here, I went to the european fjr website: www.fjrowners.com. There I found some disturbing news:

The new fjr appears to be a cooker in hot weather. According to some Australian owners, starting at 85 degrees or so, it becomes down right unbearable. Apparently the engine vents all the heat onto your left leg. Not a good thing for me who lives in Arizona, where we are already getting some 80 degree weather, and that 100-120 degrees is not too far away.

I want to get rid of my Connie for two reasons: The BUZZZZZZ, and it cooks me well done in the summer. To me, the whole idea behind this type of bike is to be fairly comfy, and over the years I have found that no matter how much I like a bike, if I am not comfy, I dont get on it as much. (Connie in the Arizona summer)

Sounds like I need to rip up that check for $500 and wait for some testing and time in the states. I guess the new st1300 and R1150RT are back on the option table, if I could ever afford one of them.

Hopefully, in the future, MO will do another sport-tourer comparo including the fjr, st1300, R1150RT, and maybe a few others.

arizonagerg 03-02-2002 11:20 AM

SORRY about the double post! #$^%$@$^ internet rookie.