Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Yamaha FJR1300 reader feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1069-yamaha-fjr1300-reader-feedback.html)

maccam 03-01-2002 09:21 AM

Segment splitter.

This bike is for riders that want to ride a touring bike, but don't want to be a touring bike rider.

NeedANewBike 03-01-2002 09:45 AM

Re: Yamaha FJR1300 reader feedback

Well, my NeedANewBike moniker now means this: NeedANewFJR1300! Yes!

Not this year, unfortunately, but hopefully next year.... :)

Thank you Yamaha!

mattg 03-01-2002 09:52 AM

I just got the new print rags in the mail today, and just like you said, not a word was said. That's the beauty of the internet. scoops em every time.

SRMark 03-01-2002 10:07 AM

Now just add some color to the beast (the 1970 R-5 still has no equal) and I think I'll put one in the garage. Seen the Orange R-1? Wow!

minime 03-01-2002 10:13 AM

Glenn and Motorcycle Online are getting everything worked out. Despite large errors on both of our parts, we're coming to terms and getting things squared away. He's been a valuable resource here at MO and is an integral part of it. The way I see it, everybody makes mistakes, no matter how large, and we need to forgive, forget and move on. It's in everybody's best interest, really.

Grappelli 03-01-2002 11:48 AM

I had a go on one a while back when on a visit home (I live in LA these days but hail fom the UK). I'm nearly 6'5" with a 36" inseam and 270lbs. The seating position was almost as good as my 1150gs. Maybe a tad more cramped, with the footpegs set back a bit. Having said that, I often end up riding the GS with the balls of my feet on the pegs to get my legs back a bit, so you might prefer it.

Now I come to think about it, after the Concours you'll find it a touch more sporty in ergos. As for a comparison between that and the BMW.. I'd like to see that MO..

My guess is the result would be close, with the soft fork of the FJR losing out to the RS, but then winning it back on power and price.

Grappelli 03-01-2002 11:54 AM

Sports bike have been getting more and more extreeme over the last few years. They've gone too far now for the majority of people, I posture and tiny size at least.

Grappelli 03-01-2002 11:56 AM

And I was just about to buy a ZX12.. maybe I should think about this...

gpzmike 03-01-2002 12:54 PM

Finally! Tomorrow I put down my deposit. I've lobbied hard for this bike. Talked to Yamaha reps, wrote letters,

and chanted the mantra "bring us the FJR1300, bring us the FJR1300." At the recent Chicago Motorcyle Show, I damn near got in a shouting match with a Yamaha Factory Rep who denounced the marketability of this bike. Said it wasn't comming here, and that it would never come here. He told me Yamaha had done the research and determimed they would sell 3000 bikes the first year and less than 200/year thereafter. I replied nobody had asked me and that those numbers were junk. After all, BMW has created a whole franchise out these kinds of bikes. He was either shockingly misinformed, or was putting me on. Either way, I get my FJR! ABS? Don't need it.

starvingstudent 03-01-2002 01:02 PM

"Why isn't anyone really going head-to-head with the SV650?"

Because they will LOSE ;-)