Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-19-2002, 08:14 PM   #151
Van
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha FJR1300 reader feedback

Okay, I went ahead today and plunked down my deposit.

Interesting process.

The other day I called my dealer to discuss the deposit process. I was told that I'd definitely get my deposit back if I backed out. I was also told that I'd be second in line.

I waited a few days, until today, before going in to make the deposit. Reading the actual Yamaha deposit sheet, it says the deposits are non refundable. The deposits go straight to Yamaha, not to the dealer.

The dealer laughed when I pointed out that "non refundable" blurb to him!! He reassured me that the deposit IS refundable, and that Yamaha is just doing this to intimidate uninformed knuckleheads into thinking they're contractually locked in once they make the deposit.

Yamaha is REALLY showing NO confidence in this bike, and they're screaming this "No Confidence!" message to their dealers, by using this Deposit-Only-Or-We-Won't-Even-Ship-A-Bike-To-You strategy.

My dealer thinks this plan is so ludicrous and he's so confident he'll be able to sell as many FJRs as he can get his mitts on that he put up a couple deposits HIMSELF, just so he'd know he'll have some on the floor to sell.

I also found out that instead of being 2nd in line, like I would've been a few days ago, I'm now 5th. ('Cept at least a couple of those "guys ahead of me" are the dealer's own deposits, and he's not going to make me wait.)

I gotta admit, I'm just hedging my bet here by making the deposit. If I truly couldn't get my deposit back I wouldn't have committed to it. I'm completely torn between this bike and the ST1300.

From what I've read from a zillion owner's reviews and mag tests, here's the consensus on the FJR:

-Super strong motor for a sport tourer, so torquey that one gear will usually do, even if it's fifth gear!

-A bit buzzy, despite Yamaha's claims of dual counterbalanced smoothness. Supposedly a set of large sized Throttlemeister cruise control/bar end weights quells this situation significantly in the bars. (Do any of us have such concerns about the ST1300? I sure don't.)

-The shock is too soft for two up riding, allowing a bit of premature peg grinding and chassis wallow and subsequent weaving at higher speeds. (Okay, THAT would suck.)

-The EFI is a bit glitchy down low, at partial throttle. This glitchyness combines with the usual "shaft effect" to make low speed hairpins a bit of a pain in the ass.

(This would also suck, having dealt with EFI "hunting" before on my BMW and most every pre-2002 Japanese EFI bike not named "VFR" or "Gold Wing". I fully expect the ST1300 to suffer from no such EFI glitchyness, considering it has the new 12 hole injectors and considering the EFI on the Wing and VFR.)

-The electric windshield isn't quite large enough to be effective for most people. In the low position it's not giving much protection; in the high position it's turbulent. (Fixable, supposedly, with ugly aftermarket windshields, but man I hope that won't be necessary. The size, shape, angle and increased degree of height and rake adjustability of the ST's windshield should obviate any such issues on the Honda.)

-The rider's seat is a bit too hard. (Doesn't seem to be much of a problem, and coming off of sportbikes I'm sure I won't notice.)

-The handling is a bit top heavy. (I do have a feeling that despite its greater weight the ST will have lighter, or at least equal, handling. Still, both bikes are now entering uncharted waters in terms of killer handling in bikes with this type of shaft driven power and comfort.)

-Everyone seems to love the hell out of the FJR, regardless. Some of that can be attributed to people just needing to justify their purchase and some of it can be attributed to New Bike Novelty, but the consensus is too strong to dismiss. If the bike had real issues there'd be a decent smattering of really pissed owners, like there usually is with most models.

Most bikes that have THIS much consistently favorable owner's feedback and positive word of mouth........deserve it.

On a purely shallow level, I like the FJR's silver paint scheme. I'm not thrilled with the ST's darker grey-silver paint scheme, especially knowing they have that beautiful candy apple red one available to those ingrate Euros!!

You just know that NEXT year the U.S. ST300 will be that beautiful red one, and man I'd be pissed to get that sorta boring grey one this year, only to have the red come out a year later.

Luckily, the ST will be here before the FJR, and I'm a Honda dealer. At the very least I'll get to ride the ST before I have to decide between the two. If the ST blows me away and dispels my fears of the seeming power and weight disparity between it and the FJR then I'll really be in quandry.

If it disappoints me at all (pretty damn likely, considering how picky I am) then I'll get the FJR with confidence, knowing that after riding it for a season I'll either like it enough to keep it or I won't, in which case the (hopefully red)2004 ST would replace the FJR in my garage.

Damn FJR, you really made things difficult....

Van is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2002, 04:38 AM   #152
Carlton
Founding Member

Nice rundown Van. You certainly haven't lost your wordiness from the old 1998 Best of the Best Pt III weboard days! (I was Chris! then). You certainly do switch bikes alot don't ya...lets see, F4, 9R, Sv650, RT, and probably a few more...

Did you get a chance to see Bikeweek yesterday? They had a FJR ride in Spain with Mamola. Cool. Personally, I don't care how smooth the ST is, the FJR is the one for me. Although, I may be a bit biased, riding an R1 and all. Anyway, good to see you posting again. Peace!
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 07:18 AM   #153
Van
Founding Member

Chris, I stopped posting when M.O. went to this gawdawful cluster***** of a BBS system.

When I stopped posting, I bailed on this site.

Then Burns signed on, so I had to pony up for the subscription.

This way of doing the message boards still can't suck enough though. It's no wonder they don't get a million posts and page upon page of responses per topic, like they used to.

Each new "Reader Feedback" board here now quickly sinks like a stone, whereas our old ones literally lasted...YEARS!

As far as the FJR goes, and my doing ANOTHER bike swap, well, this one has a lot to do with my wife's physical needs, as well as all the freeway commuting I do now.

The SV works okay for her as a passenger, but her bad leg just isn't up to it. She's dying out there. We need something roomier and softer for her, and I want shaft drive and a big ol massive torquey motor for freeway riding and touring.

(And I'm in the process of committing Major Stupidity, by selling my new Acura Type S RSX, in order to just be a bike rider again. That being the case, with my bike about to be my car, I want more than my SV...)

I still want something fun though. This latest VFR disappointed me big time, and I thought maybe that'd be the one.

So, here I am, thinking I might just take a chance on a slightly buzzy and wind turbulent Yamaha, while waiting for Honda to give me my farking RED ST1300!

(And sorta hoping that Yamaha will have sorted out the EFI and too soft shock on the FJR before it arrives on our shores. I'd actually prefer to just love the FJR, instead of buying one as merely a stop gap measure until the red ST arrives...)

Btw, R1 Boy, the 2002 with the black chassis looks SWEET!!

Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 04:34 AM   #154
dsc
Registered Member

Not sold out. I ordered one last week in Palm Harbor, Fl.

Anyone know of a radio for this bike.
dsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 04:38 AM   #155
dsc
Registered Member

123 hp on the dyno
dsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 05:35 AM   #156
ecclesd
Registered Member

hmmm wonder if I could put a $500 dollar deposit down for one of those NEW TDM 900's

Maybe we can get those euro models we lust for... also wonder what parts will cost shipped over form the continent...
ecclesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 02:01 PM   #157
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default What the ....???

if i wanted to read a brochure, i would've visited my local yamahahaha emporium. what kind of a writeup WAS that? how about telling us what it's like to actually RIDE the beast, rather than how wonderful its specs read?
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 09:35 AM   #158
jayrid
Founding Member

I am very pleased to learn that the FJR is coming to America. I was going to 'settle' for a 1200ZZR when several days ago I was reading that one could now order the FJR. I called the Yamaha dealer and made the deposit immediately. I can hardly wait and I will try to be content with riding my Harley(s).
jayrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 05:16 AM   #159
spkrplus
Founding Member

Default Re: Thanks Yamaha!

Here are the facts, regardless how you feel about them: every Japanese bike maker has far less parts support vs. your employer. Your post that H does not *give a crap about* me may be correct. Still the fact is customers pay a price when choosing any Japanese brand other than Honda: parts support after the model is gone is far below the standard set by H. For the record I have not owned a Honda for a couple of years. Also, for the record, I am not sore about H, & "your" mind-reading skills equal your spelling skills. See "technology"; also "you're" is the contraction for "you are".
spkrplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 05:28 AM   #160
spkrplus
Founding Member

Default Re: Thanks Yamaha!

Dear manic

I notice your post has more personal attacks vs. facts to support your position. If you have some evidence that Y "gives a crap" about their customers more than H, post it. If a customer does not care about parts support after the bike is dropped then my post is irrelevant to them, & that's fine. One problem with that position: sometimes the bike will not run without certain parts. As you seem to be young, dumb, etc...it may just be that the ability to view into the future to see this as a potential problem is just too difficult for you. If you did not lie in your post that H employs you, state your name.
spkrplus is offline   Reply With Quote