Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-13-2002, 10:07 AM   #131
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha FJR1300 reader feedback

I have to disagree with you on a couple of points here:

1. I have a '93 CBR 1000F - Data plate says it was manufactured in October of '92, which would make a '93 model year, not a leftover from '92

2. It has the Linked Braking System.

3. The last year for the CBR1000F was '96.

As far as the LBS - with me the jury is still out. It does work, and it works well, but I prefer being able to modulate my own braking, especially in adverse weather conditions. I believe that LBS is a great thing to put on a newbies' bike, but a 120hp 600lb. bike is not a newbies' bike, IMHO. Save that crap for learners bikes!

The big CBR is a Sport-Tourer and it isn't. It's too big and heavy to be a "sportbike", the wheelbase is too long and made of steel, the engine is shall we say... pedestrian: Good torque curve, flat powerband, unimpressive peak numbers - hell, it burns 87 Octane pump gas! But it doesn't come with bags or shaft drive (which I consider no loss), mainly I believe because Honda has a horror of putting the dreaded "sport-tourer" tag on their bikes. That ST tag seems to kill sales in the U.S., at least until recently, and doing that would've killed the already meager sales of the ST1100.

To make mine into the ST that it truly is, it has Heli Bars, and a Givi Wingrack on it, though I currently only have an E-50 Maxia topcase on it - no side bags as yet.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2002, 07:09 AM   #132
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

Default It's time to put our money where our mouths are!

Ok Petitioners, fess up!

Show Yamaha that they were wrong to keep this great bike from us for 2 years.

How many names did we get on the petition(s) anyway?

LocutusDeBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 07:27 AM   #133
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

Default FJR at Daytona

It was at the Yamaha tent for public display and also under Randy Mamola's wheelieing ass.

The Honda ST1300 was there too but up on a rotating stand so nobody could sit on it or anything.

They also had an old new ST1100 with a MSRP of $14995! They can't be serious can they?

BWT Randy was blowing by some other "old guys" on R1's high on the banking too! Love that guy.

Old 03-14-2002, 08:30 AM   #134
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

Yamaha's going about this differently than any other bike program that I know of. No bikes will go to dealers to be put on the floor and sold. They are only going to pre-order customers.

There is no limit on how many bikes each dealer may order. $500 Deposit is non refundable and financing must be in process to place the order. I am told by the Yamaha factory reps that they will fill every order placed before April 30th and they will be delivered first come first served starting in August.

I bet this is to keep Yamaha from having excess inventory in the US as they will build the bike to order.

Old 03-14-2002, 09:09 AM   #135
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

Yeah so will a an R1, so what?

The ZZR12 is not much more than a ZX11 with a slightly bigger fairing. It's really in a different class. The pegs are higher, the bars much lower and there is not yet any luggage. I checked out the bike at the Kawasaki tent at Daytona. I'd compare the ZZR with the Futura maybe or the VFR in the ergonomic department but the FJR is a bit more comfort oriented.

Motorwise I bet they are in the same ball park but I got bets that the FJR will pull the stumps off of the ZZR in the lower revs.

Oh yeah, and the chain....

You only have to change a chain once in the middle of Montana to appreciate the benefits of a real sport touring bike with a shaft. I've been *****ing on the FJ list for years about this.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:11 AM   #136
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

Default Re: Used FJR1300 for sale, mint.

And what moron buys an FJR to race R1's?
Old 03-14-2002, 09:16 AM   #137
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

Default Re: Used FJR1300 for sale, mint.

Well... Randy Mamola on the banks of Daytona during the Lap of Champions maybe but he's no moron.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:19 AM   #138
dsc
Registered Member

I'm also looking for dyno figures and a european riders club web site. Have you found anything out???
dsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 09:28 AM   #139
dsc
Registered Member

You made my day with the dyno figures. Where did you get them? Do you have a FJR 1300 european riders club website??? I'm trying to decide whether to buy. Currently have Valkyrie interstate and Busa.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:33 AM   #140
dsc
Registered Member

Default Re: FJR at Daytona

I saw bike at Daytona but didn't know about the Mamola ride. Where can I get more info on this bike? ie european riders club. Sounds like it's an R1 with good ergos and saddlebags.

Is 123 dyno hp correct?