Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-06-2002, 01:23 PM   #111
Pointman
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha FJR1300 reader feedback

They need to import the TDM again.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2002, 05:13 AM   #112
ccrispel
Founding Member

I went to my local dealer here in Southern Oregon and was informed that there are no bikes coming into the dealership without a deposit. He even stated that he was thinking of buying one with his parts guy so they would have one on the floor. This stategy is certainly not customer oriented but factory oriented since they are so tepid about this bike in the U.S. It's a shame but I, for one, will not buy anything of this magnitude without seeing and driving it. In the words of Steve Martin call me a "wild and crazy guy."
Old 03-07-2002, 09:59 AM   #113
McJunkie_2
Founding Member

This is the bike I wanted when I bought my '01 Bandit 1200s. I really liked the bandit EXCEPT for the fact that when I am in 5th on the freeway I feel like I am undershifted on a 6 speed. I don't know how many times I have nearly broken the gearshift lever off looking for 6th.

I have heard that the FJR1300 has a "tall" 5th gear. And since I have already put my 5 bills down I am hoping that #5 is "tall" enough.

But the main question is why not put 6 gears on a bike intended for both being a performance machine as well as being suited for the "long haul" on the open road? Overdrive anyone?

Regardless, just like everyone else I am hoping that this "super-sport touring bike" trend is one that will fuel a market here in the states. I have voted with my dollars to bring it, I guess we will see what happens.
McJunkie_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 11:45 AM   #114
Van
Founding Member

McJunkie, I know what you mean about the 5-6 gear quandry. I had a Bandit 12 and the one thing it needs more than anything is a 6th gear.

From some of the tests I've read on the FJR they do speak of a little bit of buzz, despite the dual counterbalancers. It's been described as not really annoying, but a bit numbing.

To me, that's annoying.

On the other hand, neither the Gold Wing nor the ST1100 have six gears and they both have perfectly smooth motors for distance work.

The only inline four I've ever seen that was truly serene at highway speeds was the CBR1100XX, and of course it has six speeds.

I believe this will be one area, road manners, where the ST1300 will be better than the FJR. The ST's V4 (also dual counterbalanced) will almost certainly be smoother than the Yamaha's I4, even though they both use 5 speeds.

With the Yamaha, I'm a bit worried about freeway buzz. With the ST1300, I'm not at all concerned.

Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 01:57 PM   #115
STEPHENMCFARLAND
Founding Member

WHAT DOOO YOOU MEEAN SCREEEEEEAM!!!!!

Has anyone got any advise for me on the bike comparo, I know they are different beasts but I'd really like to see a comparo with this bike the upcoming zzr-1200 kaw. and the new interceptor. Any suggestions, I want to buy my new ride by June, and they are all priced pretty close. Or am i missing the boat on a sport-touring bike I didn't mention.
STEPHENMCFARLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 02:00 PM   #116
STEPHENMCFARLAND
Founding Member

see the new kaw zzr-1200, your prayers have been answered kaw. fan
STEPHENMCFARLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 03:17 PM   #117
wwjdwithca
Founding Member

Question: Why is MO posting an article for a bike that's very obvious that no one from Motorcycle Online drove? I don't get it. I didn't pay money to read articles written by manufacturers!

Comment: Should be nice addition to Sport Touring family. Kind of missing the point though. The Sport Tourers are supposed to be for those who like versatile cycles, but who are also realists about performance. In other words, are smart enough to know that 145 hp, and 180 MPH not needed or required. Fine handling, good touring, good power, and how about some character too boot. Sounds like they went to the excess on power, and gave up on character all together as the Japenese manufacturers are so likened to doing. Which is why Italy still gets the nod for best Sport Tourers, and that is why (if you ever do actually drive one) the VFR will still be considered a superior entry from Japan.
wwjdwithca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 04:07 PM   #118
Huss
Founding Member

Depends on how you are going to ride it. If you just want to pose around and have lots of cargo capacity, then the Valk is good for that. If you want to really ride the thing then get the Yam. I assume you are talking about the Valk IS. I had a 1999 Interstate and traded it in for a 2002 Goldwing. I will not bore you with how much better the Goldwing is, I'll just say why I wasn't happy with the IS. No centerstand, uncomfortable seat, frame mounted fairing made it handle clumsily at slow speeds, poor suspension, brakes were too weak, not enough cornering clearance, inadequate instrumentation (eg no coolant temperature gauge, just a warning light). The motor really suffered up in the mountains as it is carburettered, the Yam is fuel injection. Upside to the IS? - great motor, lots of pretty shiny bits to polish, cool sound.

Good luck!
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 04:31 PM   #119
Huss
Founding Member

I would wait for the ST1300 to come out just to see how it stacks up. I agree with the previous poster, I own a Goldwing 1800 and it is absolutely amazing how well it handles. If it matters, I'm 33 and my other bike is a 1000cc sportbike so I'm not lost in my own little touring world! I've ridden the RT BMW and I also agree with the poster with his experience with it. Great brakes, suspension, handling but I hated the motor. For me it just vibrated too much, made my hands go numb at 80mph. The best part about the YAm coming here is that it creates more competition, so Honda will not be on its own and try to match BMW on pricing.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 06:53 PM   #120
kdkd
Founding Member

It's all about mating up there guys - This bike has SUCH a wide spread of power and torque and gear ratios it doesn't need any 6th. BMWs need sixth as an overdrive so they can keep up ratios to help the Boxer motor.

I bet it has very little actual felt buzz to it unless you are wringing it out near the redline - if you are you won't be thinking about that. The feel you have is big power at work in that big motor. If you've ridden any Beemers you also have a little or less feel. The Honda will be great but many sport tourers want some feedback to the rider.

As noted the bike was built for Europe where they like these kind of bikes. Those guys do some riding .... and fast too.
kdkd is offline   Reply With Quote