Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-03-2002, 06:23 PM   #91
cog3998
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha FJR1300 reader feedback

I agree with snark. Not only was it like the Yammy press release, but it appears to be the same article that was used for the European release. Gosh, the bike has had lots of press else where and one year of deliveries in Europe. There is a lot of story and expirience about this bike but I guess that's not as important as getting your butt on one to determine if it drags pegs or not. If I was a motorcycle journalist, that's what I'd do. And I wouldn't ***** nobody off so I could get a ride next week. If they want to write the things instead of me then that's okay, too. I like MO, however. Its the only ezine that comes across as a magazine of sorts. MCN is starting to shrivel not mentioning a word of the 'merican FJR release and recently reformatting themselves with safe little fences. I'm sure its the money thing and I can understand any ezine struggling with this stuff. I do hope that if they do start to flame that they give "independence" a try. I'd pay for real jounalism on the net. Short of that, I just surf the forums and giggle at the unsubstantiated rumors and facts and always check MO on the way, curious as hell to see at what point their little butts drug a peg.

And what's the problem with the 520 lbs? Somebody has to make a bagged, faired and shafted sport-tourer 100 lbs. lighter than the recently trimmed down ST1300.

Wayne in Texas

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2002, 08:04 PM   #92
cog3998
Founding Member

Fix the buzzz. Buy a Connie. Add $35 for the shop manual that details the 10 minute engine balance. Add $1000 for the Aerostich. Add $40 bucks for the carb sticks. Look in manual and do the 20 minute carb sync. Add $1000 worth of sound & CB. Buy a $10 Kuri-Akyn "universal throttle boss". 10 seconds to install without use of manual. Add a $600 Russell seat. Listen to the high end proffessional racers that drag knees and do woops with a relaxed grip. Add $700 for a really bonzer GPS system. Add $69 for the Audiovox cruise control. Add $250 for the heated vest and $90 bucks for the heated gloves......Or buy an ST1100 if the dealer throws in a half-cover. Either way. You'll fix the buzz.

I'm "pink slipped" on the FJR for two reasons. 145 HP and 520lbs. If the FJR has half the character of a Kawasaki Concours, it'll be a smash hit.

Wayne in Texas
Old 03-03-2002, 11:35 PM   #93
900F
Founding Member

I read in the Aerostich catalog about a trip from Duluth out to the "left" coast. Mostly on secondary roads and on smaller bikes ( 750 Katana and a old Yam Seca ). These folks know how to tour on motorcycles.

The FJ is probably just the ticket for ripping up freeway miles but I'd rather drive my crown vic on a freeeway road trip.

I think the sleeper bike of the year will be Suzuki's DL 1000 ( V Strom). If you take a good look at the few pictures available you see some nice features. Low passenger pegs, nice flat passenger seat, intergral luggage platform etc. Now we'll have to see if Suzuki left the engine alone @ 106 hp and hope the front cartridge forks are up to snuff.

I can't think of another bike that has the all-around potential of this one. Does anyone know when they will hit the showrooms?
Old 03-04-2002, 04:26 AM   #94
navion_pa1
Founding Member

I for one moved from a R1100RT to a Connie, because I was getting fed up with the high cost of maintance and some realiabilty issues.

Change out a clutch on the BMW at 60,000 miles and it cost over $900.

Have the Connie for a year now, over 24K, with no problems, with Buzz, or heat.

Just tires, and oil change.

Oh, Big K gives a better warranty then BMW, three year , unlimited mileage vesus three year/36,000 miles.

navion_pa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 07:39 AM   #95
Van
Founding Member

Hey M.O., since it's going to be many months before we see this bike in the U.S. how's about you finagle a proper road test from one of the Euro rags and re-print it here?

Or, better yet, go make Burnsie earn his keep with yet another flight and fette across the Pond.

I've read everything I could get my mitts on regarding this bike, but the one thing I haven't been able to locate is a credible dyno run.

A claimed 145hp and 92lbs of torque is probably going to work out to a real 120 and low-mid 80s at the rear wheel, but I'd really like to see an actual Dynojet 150 dyno run, measured in hp, not kilowatts.

Obviously, it's going to come down to the FJR vs the ST1300 for Best Big Ass Shafted Sport Tourer, and last I saw Honda was only claiming 118 for the ST, which oughtta be around 100 at the wheel.

The FJR should be about 100 lbs lighter while also having the ST1300 beaten by close to 20-25 hp, but will Honda's experience with Gold Wings and STs allow them to do their usual deal of masking weight and creating the best balanced and most useable package, despite spec sheet deficincies?

I'm guessing that when the bikes are reviewed head to head the Yamaha will be called "more bang for the buck" and "more the hooligan's choice", while the Honda will end up being called the better distance bike (especially two up) and, surprisingly, every bit the equal of the FJR and maybe even the superior of the two in terms of handling.

(Anybody who's felt the difference between the GL1500 and GL1800 Gold Wings will have an idea why I say this...I'm expecting the ST1300 to be a startlingly good handler...)

From the claimed specs the Yamaha will have the Honda beaten big time on top end, but will that (marginally irrelevant) difference be enough to overcome the character, refinement and slickness of the Honda's V4?

If nothing else, please god let's all hope that Yamaha's introduction of the very affordable FJR to the States will force Honda's hand in pricing the ST1300. Hopefully, Honda will now view Yamaha as the ST's main competition instead of BMW.

This is going to be one long wait.....
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 08:04 AM   #96
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

They will do that when people start to buy them. I can't blame manufacturers for making cruisers when that is what people buy.

Example: The V-Star 650 outsells all sport-touring bikes COMBINED in the U.S.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:10 AM   #97
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Actually, he was being very optimistic. That would be double BMW's sales per year in Sport-Tourers.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:51 AM   #98
hawgman1
Founding Member

I just put down my $500 deposit yesterday. I went from an ST100 to an R1100RT and liked both bikes. I sold the RT in anticipation of the ST1300 but it's taking too long. The price point on the FJR1300 looked good and I'll ride it for a few years and let the Honda settle in. When they come out with a candy apple red color in the U.S. (available in Austrailia) maybe I'll trade for it then. Till then, I'll ride my '02 Ultra.
hawgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 02:39 AM   #99
Carlton
Founding Member

Default FJR on the DYNO

Van, this is an older test from BIKE, but you may enjoy the read...dyno runs included.

www.pbase.com/travlr45/bike_magazine

Carlton
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 05:24 AM   #100
nbyers
Registered Member

Van, I think you're absolutely right. When it's all added up, the FJR will spank anything with a shaft and bags except the ST1300.

I have a CBR1000F, so I have experienced firsthand Honda's ability to make a big, heavy bike handle. It's amazing that an almost 600# bike can be so nimble.

My buddy's ST1100 is the same way....how the heck do they do it?

nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote