Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2002 Yamaha YZF-R1 Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1065-2002-yamaha-yzf-r1-reader-feedback.html)

99R6 02-26-2002 10:36 AM

Re: 2002 Yamaha YZF-R1 Reader Feedback

Nice bike, but I dont think Suzuki has anything to worry about... ( That is the point of the OPEN CLASS bikes )

bluedot 02-26-2002 10:57 AM

Gee... (peers into crystal ball)

Open Class shootout 2002 results.

1 Yamaha R1 (now even easier for a squid to act like he knows how to ride)

2 Honda (improved handling and those all-important-for-open-class-shoot out "street manners")

3 Suzuki (so what if it's the fastest, thats not what open class is about)

4 Kawi (why even bother anymore)

Anyone want to place any wagers .....

That aside ... IMO the guy who wrote that suxs. I'll be interested to hear comments in the local MO staffs words.

Pretty bike .. I'll give Yamy that ...

minime 02-26-2002 11:00 AM

Interesting speculations, though we'll know for certain soon enough. And as for the person who wrote that article, and their perceived amount of suction, let me just assure you that, in no way at all, does he come close to vacuum of any sort.

SeanAlexander 02-26-2002 11:04 AM

I'll wait for the shootout.

As for the author, highly entertaining. I like the way he includes all of the relivant technical updates, with the irreverence that I've come to expect from MO.

johnnyb 02-26-2002 11:25 AM

Yeah, the guy that wrote that SUCKS big tyme, sounds like a real squid and bad at directions too. Wait, where am I??

Papasmurf 02-26-2002 11:27 AM

I must wholeheartedly agree with Sean's assessment. Well written, to include the irreverence that makes me loyal to MO, where I could care less which print mag I read.

As for the bike, Yamaha can certainly pen a pretty bike. Distinctly Japanese design, but with an almost Italian flow to it. I keep telling myself I won't get a big-bore until I can wring everything out of a smaller one on the track, but it's getting harder and harder to resist....

vx49268 02-26-2002 12:07 PM

I got my silver R1 2/18. I'm very happy with the bike. The fuel injection is remarkably well-sorted. The motor has gobs of midrange, and it sure likes to wheelie. Speaking of which, it would have been nice if Yamaha had fit a steering damper like Suzuki does to their GSX-Rs.

El_Flaco 02-26-2002 12:18 PM

An excellent read! Entertaining and quite funny- much better than the other "less than stellar" report. Not to kiss arse, but I've been waiting for a good report of the 2002 R1 for a very looong time, and while many others promised, MO finally delivered. Now to go scheme on how to acquire a new R1 without making a deal with that Mephistopheles fellow whom has been hanging around here lately...

oops 02-26-2002 12:30 PM

Best First Ride article I've seen from anybody. Ink this writer to a multi-year contract with a six figure signing bonus.

bluedot 02-26-2002 12:32 PM

My smart arse comments aside, I read your stuff because I like the way you guys write.

The foreign correspondents ... not so good.

About the shootout ... how about doing two of them.

A "we don't need no stinkin wind protection" Open Class Shootout where performance is ALL that matters, and then say a 1 litre street shootout where the type of person who would actually purchase one of these bikes to commute on can argue about attaching soft luggage to the R1 or not being able to run Iron Butt rallies on a 998.

Maybe ?