Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-27-2002, 10:14 AM   #71
john
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Yamaha YZF-R1 Reader Feedback

haru i would look for something like the Bandit, Fazer, ZRX, ZZR, or a XX if you want a good bike for the backroads, but don't want to be limited by cruiser performance (handling). I have a stock Bandit that was perfect for doing an Iron Butt, 1200 miles in 23 hours. Course I am an elf compared to you, but at the bandit forums i go to it seems that MOST riders are over 6' and 200lbs. You dont need to be on a cruiser or tourer to be comfortable, despite what the cruiser riders might say.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2002, 10:47 AM   #72
minime
Founding Member

Hey! It was our de-restricted Yamaha Vino! That thing kicks bootay. Calvin even got headshake on the thing!
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 10:55 AM   #73
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

www.dictionary.com

A great rescource

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 11:25 AM   #74
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Hey I highsided one of those things. Good thing is that it was already banged up before I jacked it up even more.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 11:26 AM   #75
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

www.m-w.com

still not in that dictionary.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 12:08 PM   #76
zdali
Founding Member

heh,

do what i do, CAT5 in the crapper (and every other room in the house)
zdali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 12:12 PM   #77
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Martin - chill out, bikers are not generally the most politically correct people out there - if this kind of description bothers you, you may want to find a different hobby, or at least stop socializing with other bikers.

Personally, I find that people who have time to be offended by others' terminology usually need to find jobs or lives.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:28 PM   #78
bluedot
Founding Member

Default Re: R1 vs. 954 vs GSX-R1000 vs ZX-9...

"From what you gather" obviously didn't include riding one, did it.

Next time your "gathering" ... read Roadracing world's review of the stock suspension from an actual racers point of view. While your there .. read what they think of the stock R1 suspension (2001). Then read on to see how pretty much every bike magazine from here to the UK and beyond rated it bike of the year (and more importantly the reasons they did). Then go look at the placements it got in it's first year racing. All in all not too shabby.

Now ... just because everyone else called it bike of the year .. didn't mean in any way what so ever that MO should have jumped on any bandwagon and done the same thing ! (please re-read that so it sinks in)

What I and others complained about was why it lost ... it lost because it was too fast. And as you obviously didn't gather before, the gixxer had better lap times than the R1. It didn't do that on the power advantage alone.

Anyone I know who's ridden both bikes (R1/Gix) cannot deny the stock gixxer front end is far superior to the stock R1(2001). Rear, they equal out. You seem to be the only one who thinks the gixxer suspension is so bad compared to the other bikes.

Now .. to your other point. Maximum horsepower is not what big bore cycles are about .. absolutely right.

But .. an "Open Class Shootout" is completely about performance first (IMO) Otherwise .. why not include a BMW in the next open class shoot out and call it the hands down winner because it has superior ergonomics, road maners, and I guarantee any MO staffer could kick your butt (and mine) on it down any twisty road ?

Open class is about performance first. The gixxer had the performance, Suzuki did a fantastic job of taking the already great 750 platform and harnessing that much power in a very usable, light package. (just like Yam did when the R1 came out) They raised the performance bar higher for everyone and not just in HP figures. That's why it should have won. (IMO)

This year ... very likely won't be the same story ... the others are looking good. But in my opinion MO made a mistake in last years test.

Oh well ... done and gone. I value MO's opinion, I just didn't agree with it.

bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:39 PM   #79
ChiaPuke
Founding Member

I happened to be on two cycle sites when I read this. I'll post what those two sites said about the GSX-R1000

MO: "We shared the racetrack with our pals from Cycle News, and not only did they wad our GSX-R1000 testbike, but their unit too. If we're not mistaken, MO is the only major US publication that didn't destroy a GSX-R1000 this year."

"the GSX-R feels like the heaviest bike here when you're in the twisty canyons."

"the GSX-R feels a larger than the R1, and like it's toting around a chunk more heft than the 929RR"

"getting the bike turned in, trailing the brakes, there was some occasional doubt as to exactly what was going on where the front tire met the tarmac."

"Believe us, a vague front end will likely by your downfall if you own one of these awesome machines: The engine is so torquey and powerful, speed sneaks up on you. Just when you need a planted, confident front end, the GSX-R's vague front end can throw you down to the ground. Just ask the guys from Cycle News. Fortunately, they're okay."

2WF.com's test:

"Both of my fellow testers complained about the big Zooks front end, too vague said one, dodgy tires said t'other. The forks admittedly were a little stiff and unforgiving, so I stopped after a couple of laps and took out a touch of compression to try and get some compliance and some feedback. Big mistake, because at the next fast corner, the front end literally collapsed, chattering so badly that I couldn't stay on the brakes. I knew if I went off road I would ding the bike. I did my best "look through the corner move" and turned in, alas I drug the back brake a tad too much, which saw me slide in nice and sideways and disappear over the highside. Game Over."

Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks the front suspension is bad. I live in Central WI where I'd have to drive a long distance to get on a GSX-R1000, much less figure out how to ride a GSX-R1000 and R1 and 929/954RR and ZX-9R back-to-back and figure everything out about them. I'm going off what I've read since the GSX-R1000 came out and I read the same thing over and over and over and over.. it has been pounded onto every test I've read: The GSX-R1000's front end .. well... can suck, sometimes.

It's a really cool cycle. I'd faint if I could own one. It has faults, though. And if it didn't win 1st place (heck 2WF.com gave it 4th), at least there are good reasons given.
ChiaPuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 02:18 PM   #80
bluedot
Founding Member

I understand your point ... I hope you got mine. For what it's worth .. I pasted some others opinions below.

Roadracing world had a very critical review of the R1 vs. GSX-R that is not posted on line. While they did criticize the Gixxer's valving they used many a 4 letter word about the R1 in the same test.

Personally I think the initial reaction complaining about the Gixxers front end (from an owners perspective) is that it feels like it's too soft. But it really isn't. It's very compliant and on initial impression feels mushy. But even after playing with it to dial it out, you realize what Suzuki was going for in setting it up that way. The R1 is just different, maybe it's tendancy to shake blew all my confidence in it (stock).

Regardless .. we are lucky to live in times where either of these bikes are available, and as the 2002 R1 test prove .. being improved upon.

From www.mcn.com

"Immediately I can feel how well balanced the bike is. The weight distribution feels spot-on, even with a full tank"

"When it came to the big one, the aim was the same – " to own the race track " . And as I slowly become accustomed to the twists and turns of Road Atlanta, I reckon they've succeeded."

"This is where the big GSX-R1000 comes into a league of its own, with the balanced chassis and superb torque from the engine allowing me to hold a gear and just drive"

"Then, still leant over, the front wheel starts to go light. But the superb suspension and stock-fitment steering damper keep the handlebar shakes down to a panic-free level"

"And, though the rake is the same as the R1 at 24o, the trail is 0.4cm longer at 9.6cm. That should mean the GSX-R turns slower than the R1 as a pay-off for a more stable feel. But that's not the impression I get. It could just be that the chassis and suspension are so well set up that the bike is still able to drop on to its side with amazing ease."

"As I do so, I ask myself why Suzuki chose such a technically challenging race track like Road Atlanta to launch what is one very demanding, and fast, sports bike."

"I realise almost immediately that the answer is a simple one. The GSX-R1000 is so much more than a straight-line speed monster. Sure, Suzuki could have launched the bike at a high-speed circuit if it just wanted to impress us with top speed numbers - and I'm sure it would have turned in some big ones - but this is intended to be a sharp-handling track tool, not a dragster"

www.motorcycledaily.com

"Fortunately, the GSX-R1000 does other things well besides accelerate viciously in a straight line. It starts with the superb, GP derived GSX-R750 chassis, and then gets upgraded forks and front brakes."

"The GSX-R1000 has a very neutral and confident feel through corners. It does not turn as quickly as its smaller siblings, the GSX-R750 and GSX-R600, but it has an even more stable and reassuring feel than those bikes. Bottom line -- it corners extremely well and, with all that horsepower, the added stability is a very good thing to have"

bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote