Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-27-2002, 06:19 AM   #51
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default I AGREE

I had to read it again. Very well written.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2002, 06:33 AM   #52
sgalper
Registered Member

Default Re: 2002 Yamaha YZF-R1 European Switchgear inquiry

I purchase the silver R1 on Monday and it was worth the "wrath of the wife" that I inflicted on myself by not selling my 929 first. A question and a comment: Does anyone know an U.K. motorcycle shop where I can order the switchgear over the net so I am able to turn off the headlights when I am "sport" riding out of town? Second, I wish that Yamaha would have placed a digital clock on the cluster as my bike is also a commuter. Oh well, I need to spend more time looking for the police and less time checking the dash.
sgalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 06:55 AM   #53
shash_what
Founding Member

Default Off Topic

Hey MO, I think you should have a BEEEEG comparo of bikes. Say the winners of comparos in different categories from 2000 onwards pitted against each other deciding upon various factors like the best bike for a single guy who rides to work, the best bike for a guy with a girlfriend (the gf earns too), the best bike for a married guy (the wifey doesn't earn), best bike for the track, best bike for the street, best bike for rainy days, best bike for winters, best bike for blah blah blah...... you get the picture. Maybe you can have some guest appearance bikes too if they have a good chance of winning. How 'bout that? Fellow beings, support me.....
shash_what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:35 AM   #54
ChiaPuke
Founding Member

Default R1 vs. 954 vs GSX-R1000 vs ZX-9...

Why does it seem that half the people here are royally pissed off that the GSX-R1000 didn't win last year? It seems that their reasoning is "It has the most power. It should win. Period."

Ugh. From what I can gather, the GSX-R1000 has crappy internal suspension valving mated with that much power which means the thing gave bad feedback and ended up giving a lot of experienced testers bruised butts from the crashes. The fact that "It go fast! It go fastest!!" doesn't mean it should automatically get 1st.

Like they said, there are many things people look at when they buy a cycle (unless they're a squid just looking to use 143rwhp as a bragging point). Maximum horsepower is NOT only what big-bore cycles are about. There's a lot more to making a motorcycle than that.

And just to anger you GSX-R1000 fans/owners even more, a recent test a magazine ran showed the lighter and possibly better-geared 954RR beating out the GSX-R1000 in roll-on tests at all different speeds. I forgot who did the tests.. I'll post it later if I find it again.
ChiaPuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:36 AM   #55
ccmun
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Yamaha YZF-R1 Reader Feedback

Great Article MO. I am 6-4, and would never buy and R1. A big ole ZX-9R for would suit me

suit me just fine. However, this is why I subscribe to this site. I was entertained and educated, and a bit embarrassed from having to explain why I was laughing to myself in my office with the door closed

Keep up the good work.

CCMun
ccmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:40 AM   #56
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Squid:

S: Small

qui: Quick

d: Dead

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:40 AM   #57
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Off Topic

Your onto something, at least saying what the best bike you can throw your ole lady on the back of without her having a bad time. My buddy is in the market for a new bike and the little woman is a big concern. Ive been thinking VFR, Sprint ST as pretty much the top contenders for him. My K12RS with a steath backrest is tough to beat but at near double the price and weight, others dont think so. But for me being pretty much two up solo (6'6" 310) it was the best fit and I can handle the extra 200 pounds. (0ver 600lbs wet) Anyone have $.02 worth of comments on what handles the best yet two can enjoy? Lightest stearing two up? Is something never addressed...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:50 AM   #58
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

I refute your comment about what is the best way to spot a squid, and I think your comments reflect why you chose your moniker. A squid cannot be measured by his rear tires worn center area. In fact, measuring someone's tire wear is a very squidly thing to have to, in order to feel good about what/how you ride. You probably check the chicken strip and foot peg feelers for grinding too, right? Lame. I use my bike for 70% commuting, 30% joyrides, and I can rail a corner with the better street riders out there, yet the center portion of my rear tire is more worn than the outside. Why? I commute, and ride on straight roads more often than I'm able to get on the twisties (I have a real job, I don't know what some of these guys do all day long). Oh, and your definition of squid is wrong, it's a Navy term (according to some older retired navy friends of mine - they served in the pre Vietnam era). It stands for Small, QUIck, Dead.

The easiest way to spot a squid is by his swagger (either in speech or deportment), followed closely by his desparate need to impress anyone who is around, especially those around him/her that are on motorcycles.

luvmyvfr

luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:50 AM   #59
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default What about the colors?

IMHO the silver/black combination looks as sharp as a japanese bike has ever looked. Sexy, very sexy.

The blue one looks cool... that's about it.

Now I wonder is there is anybody out there that actually prefers or even LIKES the red/white paint scheme. I bet those are the ones that haven't sold out yet.

No flame intended.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:59 AM   #60
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Martin says:

>> "there's no need to include it in a published work (let alone think it) "<<

Thank you for letting me know what is acceptable or needed in my thoughts. I shall endeavor to emulate the shining example that you set in all of my future exploits.

P.S. Are exploits a little too close to exploitation for your thought police?