Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-01-2002, 05:26 AM   #121
Poser
Founding Member

Default Squid?

I always aspired to be a squid, but I could only manage being a Poseur. Can't spell around corners, either.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2002, 08:40 AM   #122
DZR
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Yamaha YZF-R1 Reader Feedback

Man... I know us Americans are slow. I mean, look at that Schwantz guy, he's a snail! That Lawson dude, too. And Edwards, man, I bet Chris Walker could lap him on a moped.

Kenny Roberts? Slow poke.

And those Bostrom punks? Just wait 'till Leon Haslam gets a hold of 'em!

DZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 08:16 AM   #123
painter_1
Founding Member

Default Re: R1 vs. 954 vs GSX-R1000 vs ZX-9...

It's funny to read about all the whinning about the suspension problems of sportbikes on the race track. I race up here in the north west Omrra {OR.} & wmrra [WA] #270 expert. First the gixxer 1000 ruled On the tracks I raced a 2000 R1 It could hang in the corners but every straight the would pull several bike lenght's The brakes are both good. So guess what the R1's, mine and every other R1 got to see the back of a lot of gixxer's. John Dugan won the 750 and open class On gixxer's. As for the stock suspension, It's a moot point virtually every expert racer I know has the valveing reworked. Up here, most everybody goes with Circuit One. Some use Race tech. When I got the R1 last year I took in the track stock to get a feel, It was okay, It would float and move arround a lot. about normal for stock at race pace. I had it revalved and nocked 3 sec. a lap off. That's an eternaty in racing.
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 03:27 PM   #124
Dennis_Campagna
Registered Member

Your comments are the best and most relevant yet on this site! Thanks much. I just turned 55 and your reference to the "smile factor" says it all. I had a 98 R1, loved it, and find myself totally attracted to the 2002. Only problem is that in this area, they're in short supply, and there is no 954 to be found. So your comparison was very helpful. As far as comfort goes, I recall writing someone in Virginia who loved his R1 and claimed that sure, the bike is somewhat uncomfortable, but the R1 was worth it. Couldn't agree more. All in all, I'm convinced that these bikes aren't desinged to be comfortable. If comfort is what someone wants, buy a BMW. Thanks again for your helpful comments.
Dennis_Campagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 09:48 PM   #125
Huss
Founding Member

Default No need for the comparo!

Hey MO, don't bother doing the liter-bike comparo. I just came back from the market where I had quickly scanned through the April issue of Motorcyclist . Well, they had already decided that the 954 is top dog. Funny, I would have thought that to maintain any degree of journalistic integrity they would have at least gone through the motions and tested it against the 2002 R1, 998 et al. Oh, and for all those of you who whined that the VFR 800 weighs more and makes less, apparently 100 horses is plenty (try agreeing with that when you are loaded down with optional hard luggage, passenger on the back while attempting to pass slow traffic up a mountain road at 5000 ft. As you would if you were going up to Big Bear Lake in southern cal in summer). Remember, Motorcyclist knows what's best for you!
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:28 AM   #126
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

You must not have gussed... I don't care!

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:02 PM   #127
joshuaperk
Founding Member

Well I just want to say....I got my R1 on 03/15 and I have not gotten off of it but to sleep at night. I have ridden a F3 for over 4 years and I have been waiting for a bike like this to come out. I have no complaints. The FI is incredible!! I LOVE IT!
joshuaperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 01:15 PM   #128
Z-Rod
Founding Member

Umm, err, I think the Fazer 1000 is the bike for you, not this little thing.
Z-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 11:53 AM   #129
yzf1070
Founding Member

I'm 6' 1" and 255 and I just picked up my 2002 silver and black last week. So far I have to say it fits me just fine. I would think twice about entering the iron butt on it but a days worth of riding seems to be of no real consequence.
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 11:57 AM   #130
yzf1070
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Yamaha YZF-R1 European Switchgear inquiry

There is a digital clock on the cluster all you have to do is hold down one of the two buttons for a few seconds and it comes on. I can't remember right now which button but there are only two.
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote