Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-20-2002, 04:36 PM   #1
George99S3T
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Kawasaki ZX-12R reader feedback

God, how would it be to be able to ride. I have a 02 Blue/Gold with a whole 48 miles on it Snowing right now....... :<(
George99S3T is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2002, 05:15 PM   #2
Huss
Founding Member

Ok, to put the cat amongst the pigeons, you say it's a terrific all-round machine. How about comparing it not to the Hayabusa but to that other terrific all-round machine , the VFR 800. The ZX12r is lighter (according to the table printed), the same money (especially in real, how much you would pay a dealer money), and is aiming at the same sort of market if you would believe Kawasaki's PR. Oh, it also makes about 70 more hp. I will seriously be in the market for a new bike at the end of the year and I want to know! I know magazines like Motorcyclist would never do this type of comparo, not with their editor having worked for Honda etc so this would be a good opportunity for you to show that you are different from the paper rags, you do not cater to the lowest common denominator and that you are the most credible source of information out there. How about it?
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 05:48 PM   #3
fwalters
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 zx12r, Compared to a VFR

I own both a 2000 VFR and a 2000 zx12r. I was intrigued to see how they would compare in handling and sport-touring capabilities.

Even though they weight about the same and have the same wheelbase the handling is remarkably different, the VFR handles much better. Weight distribution plays a large role in how a bike handles, and the zx12r is lacking in the serious cornering department.

But I guess the question is which one do I ride the most. The ZX12r gets more ride time here in the Florida straights, we have very few decent roads in our state, and sometimes we ride for 2 hours just to get to them, so on the interstate (yuch) the 12 is as stable as a rock when passing semi's, and makes quick work of a 100 mile run. The VFR however is a much better choice for places like Deals Gap, is easier to ride, and sticks to the road like glue.

Here is one biker hoping that the 2002 zx12r closes the gap on the monster HP vs. the finely tuned corner carving do all machine we would like to keep in our garages. That would make one less bike payment for me, and one less aggrivated wife....

Ah, what the hell, I still say every man should have at least two bikes!

fwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 05:49 PM   #4
sennap1
Founding Member

It's fascinating to me how Kawa can make a big bike with that much torque and hosepower so rewarding in so many ways: Linear power curve, Instant response from low speeds in 6th gear!, Capable of superior top end speed, Comfortable enough for all day riding. Kawa, you definitely have got your sh@# in order.
sennap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 06:18 PM   #5
Huss
Founding Member

Good deal. I've ridden the 2000 ZX12r and the one thing I noticed about it (apart from its terrible seat) was that you sat up very high on it, it felt like a long way down when you heeled it over for a sharp corner. But maybe the handling gap has changed with the 2002?

Oh, and I already have 2 bikes, I need a 3rd!
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 06:58 PM   #6
P-Ratt
Premium Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Kawasaki ZX-12R colors

I have been all over Kawi's home page and there is no indication of blue coming to the US. Just red and black/gold. Is this first ride from an international press introduction or did you guys wrangle a Canadian test bike?. How can I get one in blue?
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 07:08 PM   #7
dnakase
Founding Member

Anyone in the market for a vintage'92 ZX-11?

I was thinking about the ZZR-12 but when I saw the Blue/Gold ZX-12 at the Motorcycle show and the ZZR's middling fit and finish and weird hind quarter my head snapped back to the ZX.

Now you tell me that my old tired ass can sit on this beauty all day! Get me down to my local Kawasaki store post haste!

I have a SV650s for those times I want to scare the s**t out of myself in the twisties, and pain killers for my back the day after, but my ZX-11 is getting long in the tooth.
dnakase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 08:33 PM   #8
minime
Founding Member

A good question there, P-Ratt. We were kind of wondering why the blue wasn't listed on Kawasaki's own web site. Of course, we could have been good journalists and called them up to ask, but that that would break tradition. So the phone remained on the hook.

However, now that you've prodded us as such, we'll be on the horn to Kawi tomorrow morning and report back to you with our findings.

And, since you mentioned it (even if you didn't, I'll still tell you), the blue looks even better in person than it does in any of the photos. Even the blue rims are nice and not nearly as tacky as the words "blue rims" might indicate.

Minime
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 11:47 PM   #9
Grappelli
Founding Member

The seating position's a bit more extreeme than the VFR, but there's a 1/2 inch more legroom.....

oh yes, and 70 more hp
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 12:38 AM   #10
BigMike_1
Founding Member

Why you're at it, ask them if their European models are the same mechanically as those sold in the US. I can get a European model in Japan, but not the US model - too expensive for the local market due to all the safety stuff. I simply love this bike.
BigMike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote