Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-21-2002, 02:58 AM   #11
Haru
Founding Member

Default DAMNED BY FAINT PRAISE!!

I am afraid that the riding impressions write up reveals very much the preference and bias for race track oriented sportbikes, even though no direct comparisons are made. They say its not a Laguna Seca sort of bike, but the writeup certainly reads like they judge it by those standards. There is little aknowledgement of its superb versatility and street usability, its EXCELLENT suitability for tall riders. I question the credibility of an evaluation that so obviously favors the personal preferences of the reporter. Objective it was not.

and another thing: "for all intents and purposes still born"? how do you define still born? didn't sell or didn't get media acclaim? I'd say it was still born only in that it didn't make legions of sportriders lust for it. But that is hardly the measure of success. I don't know the sales numbers, but unless they are dismal for its class (which includes the Busa and the Blackbird), I refute the "stillborn" assessment.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2002, 04:27 AM   #12
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: DAMNED BY FAINT PRAISE!!

It's true that those 3 bikes have never sold too many units in comparison to the liter size or especially the 600cc sportbikes. Now that all of those liter bikes (except the Kawi) are over $10K, these true open class motorcycles are more attractive in price. Hell, you can't get a new 600 for less than $8000 out the door nowadays. Why not spend an extra$40 a month or whatever to get the bike of your dreams if you want? I think the sales numbers should go up in the future for this class of bike. Oh wait, I forgot about the largest legal scam in America, Insurance.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 05:02 AM   #13
Big_Boy
Founding Member

You make a good point! Can anyone out there give a realistic ballpark figure for what insurance runs on these kinds of bikes. I checked Progressive online and not sure I believe the quote... close to $4000 o year!?!
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 05:08 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Gotta agree that insurance has a large part in sales figures. Most of the young guys here would love to have 900 to 1200 cc bikes but their insurance company won't even quote a bike that big. 600 is a large as they can get and still get insured, which is mandatory in Illinois. The only thing bigger than the insurance scam, is lawmakers shoving the scam up yer arse sideways with gravel as the lubricant!
Old 02-21-2002, 05:35 AM   #15
Eric
Founding Member

What I love even more about insurance is the ignorance of some companies. I ride a Buell M2, but I also looked hard at several other bikes and checked out insurance rates. My insurer bases its rates almost entirely on engine displacement. So I payed more insurance on my 1450cc Electra Glide than I do my new Buell. I would have paid significantly less for the ZR-7s I looked at, less for the Duc ST-2, and a great deal less for the last-year's VFR 800 I would have bought if it had touched me on an emotional level at all. Point being, my insurance company doesn't consider the type of motorcycle in the least, though brand may play a small role in comprehensive (not, it seems, liability).
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 05:43 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

My insurance company lists various rates by age and length of riding experience. The rates are much lower for riders over 35. My insurance for my GSX1100 runs about $150 (liability only) per year. A 19 year old's insurance for the same bike runs $7,000!!

The rates go down by age, but a 25 year old still has to pay around $1500 per year.

Search out quotes on the internet. Progressive quotes me over $1500 per year for my truck while I'm currently paying about $600 with Farmers. Farmers doesn't insure bikes. But that's just an example of the diaprity in rates.
Old 02-21-2002, 05:49 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

It could be that the HD rates are high simply because of the high rate of theft of Harleys. My insurance company lists Harleys as high risk along with sportbikes. Other bikes get better rates.

That's one reason I quit riding Harleys. I got tired of being chained to a motorcyle. Can't just drive it somewhere and park it. Always worried about someone stealing it. Not worth the trouble to me.
Old 02-21-2002, 06:12 AM   #18
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Kawasaki ZX-12R reader feedback

Can't you pratice your throttle control in the garage?
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 06:19 AM   #19
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Yeah, I use USAA and they say the base rates only on displacement, so my R6 is cheaper than say, a sv650. THe plastic on the R6 is much more expensive to replace, so this shows you that some companies charge way to much and insurance is a scam.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 07:05 AM   #20
Haru
Founding Member

Default insurance is no issue

I pay $600/yr on my zx-12 for the maximum coverage that the insurance company offers. Geico wanted $7000, so you do have to shop around.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote