Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Ducati Monster 620 i.e. Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1049-ducati-monster-620-i-e-reader-feedback.html)

Abe_Froman 02-15-2002 05:34 AM

Here we go again.....

Ahh, j/k.....Gabe makes pretty valid points about the monster. It's like a DeLorean, or one of those new Jaguar X-Types. Looks neat on the outside, but underneath, there's nothing to write home about. It has no power and it's based on a Ford Contour. Better to spend $15,000 less and smoke them with your Subaru WRX.

Abe_Froman 02-15-2002 05:36 AM

Off-topic posts make life worth living!

GO DALE JR.!

Gabe 02-15-2002 09:25 AM

US Grey Imports

Even though it's fairly easy to import foreign market bikes here, you don't see a lot of them for some reason. Probably because by the time they are here and registered, the prices aren't very competitive with the bikes you can buy in the showrooms, where in England at least, the grey-market bikes are cheaper for some reason. (cough, dealer gouging, cough!)

Too bad- the Raptor looks pretty sweet!

gforces 02-15-2002 10:05 AM

Re: Ducati Monster 620 i.e. Reader Feedback

I'm buying a Duc, but not a 620. I'd rather pony up another grand for a used m900. I don't like the idea of buying a bike and outgrowing it in a year. For the additional cost of a new set of Mikuni flatsides, my 900 could seriously smoke a squid on any Supersport.

Besides, you shouldn't be looking at Monsters if you're worried about getting smoked by squids, you should be looking at R1s or 954s.

I don't know if you care about sex appeal, but I'm not going to ignore my smaller head when it comes to using my $8000+ investment to at least make some kind of feudal attempt at attracting the eyes and ears of the other sex. Shoot me for loving the image. Would you buy a $100k Porsche 911 Turbo, or a $10k Honda Civic with $90k invested that'll beat the Porsche? I don't know about you, but I'd rather buy the Porsche.

In other words, nothing sounds like a Ducati rumbling down in front of the local Starbuck's and nothing sounds like a beautiful woman's enthusiasm after she asks what kind of bike that is and you casually and charasmatically say "Ducati"

Somehow I think saying "Honda" or "Suzuki" or "Kawasaki" or "Yamaha" wouldn't have as much effect.

You can go ahead and fly past me all you want--I don't care, I'm getting laid.

gforces 02-15-2002 10:11 AM

Sorry, this is a double post, but I wanted to reply

I'm buying a Duc, but not a 620. I'd rather pony up another grand for a used m900. I don't like the idea of buying a bike and outgrowing it in a year. For the additional cost of a new set of Mikuni flatsides, my 900 could seriously smoke a squid on any Supersport.

Besides, you shouldn't be looking at Monsters if you're worried about getting smoked by squids, you should be looking at R1s or 954s.

I don't know if you care about sex appeal, but I'm not going to ignore my smaller head when it comes to using my $8000+ investment to at least make some kind of feudal attempt at attracting the eyes and ears of the other sex. Shoot me for loving the image. Would you buy a $100k Porsche 911 Turbo, or a $10k Honda Civic with $90k invested that'll beat the Porsche? I don't know about you, but I'd rather buy the Porsche.

In other words, nothing sounds like a Ducati rumbling down in front of the local Starbuck's and nothing sounds like a beautiful woman's enthusiasm after she asks what kind of bike that is and you casually and charasmatically say "Ducati"

Somehow I think saying "Honda" or "Suzuki" or "Kawasaki" or "Yamaha" wouldn't have as much effect.

You can go ahead and fly past me all you want--I don't care, I'm getting laid.

mandrake_the_mollusk 02-15-2002 02:14 PM

A card-carrying poser but at least you're honest...

that's very refreshing around here --hey, enjoy and be careful out there (remember for guys like you the helmet and the condom are equally important safety gear).

Gabe 02-16-2002 09:46 AM

You're Right!

And you really nailed what makes Ducati's "better" than other bikes- better for attracting attention, better for showing off your disposable income, better for engaging in the sort of obnoxious display behavior white middle class males insist on engaging in with their motorized vehicles.

I think most women could know or care less what a Ducati is. Harley-Davidson they know, and if you really wanted to get laid, that's what you'd get. Of course, if you have to have expensive accoutrement to meet women...well, that's just a little sad. But whatever you have to do to pass your genetic materiel to the next generation, I guess...

As I've said above, just about any unmuffled 90-degree v-twin sounds exactly like a Ducati, at idle or any other speed. Sorry about that. I'd bet $100 you couldn't tell the difference blindfolded.

Also, wouldn't a "feudal attempt at attracting the eyes and ears of the other sex" consist of something like reading Chaucer aloud and then being a champion at a joust?

xlr8r 02-17-2002 11:55 PM

Re: Wrong.

Gotcha! Some people are so easy to wind up...

intruderman 02-18-2002 04:50 AM

I want some racing-related stories too. Flick those wankers who don't care about racing. They probably ride....oh, never mind.

P.S. "Garden Party" was no. 1 on the gay hit parade. ;-D

jstein 03-13-2002 04:16 AM

(Finally got back to the comments)

Good idea... now to convince my wife...