Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-13-2002, 08:46 AM   #61
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: Disk Brakes & Reciprocating Mass

No argument with your reasoning but the mass you refer to is typically designated "unsprung mass" not reciprocating mass. AFAIK, the only case where the brake system reciprocating mass might be a factor to consider is in ABS where the mass of the caliper pistons might limit the effective maximum frequency at which the brakes can be pulsed. But this bike has no ABS so reciprocating mass wouldn't matter (well, so long as the calipers aren't made of neutronium .
granny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2002, 08:51 AM   #62
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Racing story

Well without speedvision, oh er speed channel its almost impossible to see any of this racing in the US. Hence why the following isnt as great on the storys. At least internet access is starting to climb world wide. 4 years ago 80% of internet usage was from California alone. Ca still has the majority of internet users but at least its leveling out.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 10:25 AM   #63
evilgenius
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Monster 620 i.e. Reader Feedback

Slightly off the subject, does anyone have any info/scoop/speculation about the new 998 replacement (or restyled 99?

Now that I've paid off ALL of my credit card bills, sold my beloved '99 R1 (please don't torture me but I had to buy the wife), got a decent raise, I've been itching to get a glimpse of the seemingly very elusive "new" 998 replacement (or again, restyled 99.
evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 11:24 AM   #64
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: To you Sir, I say: Ha!

That was the most ridiculous thing I've read in awhile. Ah yes, (to use a cage analogy) "the BMW M3 bests the Jaguar X-Type in every category, but buy the X-Type because it rates highly on our 'panache factor'."

Ludicrous!

The point of the exercise is for motorcycle.com or whomever to give a inter-subjective and objective assessment of the measurable quantities of each machine. Their judgement should be upon no less and no more.

It's up to you, the reader, to determine which you'll buy based upon these factors and other components (insert 'Feelings' by Barry Manilow here) that you deem important.

The point:

*Anyone* can say "buy the Ducati, it looks better."

These guys are professionals, and you should expect more than holistic garbage. That's why they do the track numbers, dyno runs, etc.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 12:18 PM   #65
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Monster 620 i.e. Reader Feedback

Moreover, it's safe to say ANYBODY who buys a bike for "all-out speed" and does NOT ride it on closed-course tracks where it can do what it was intended for (without the rider being seriously, or should I say squidiously, suicidal) is a poser. That's especially true these days considering how outrageously fast some of today's bikes are. If they're NOT posers, why would they buy a bike that's extremely impractical and uncomfortable when they never intend to make use of its full potential, in fact they don't even remotely have the skills to do that even if they WERE on a closed track.

At least the early 80's GS1100's of which he spoke were a comfortable, practical bikes (I remember them fondly) but didn't have exactly stellar handling by today's standards. It was a cushy lummox with a big comfy seat, but very fast in a straight line. Actually IT would be the "easy meat" if it met ANY late-model Duc on a twisty road. Even one that's NOT intended as a full-tilt sportbike, such as the Monster series. And yes the Monsters do have that illusive "character" though IMO Triumph offers much more "character" and less "snob appeal." Just my opinion though.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 12:42 PM   #66
sennap1
Founding Member

Default Re: To you Sir, I say: Ha!

Fizz--I don't see how your point differs essentially from the one that I made. If we were talking about the old 600Dark, then what would be the point of the discussion. However, our fairly skilled test riders have (in my view) satisfied my concern about the power deficiency. Having said that, we are left to ponder other things, which, for the most part, are subjective in nature (e.g. style and handling--yes handling!). So, at the end of the day, we're left to discern as reasonable people, which bike would I buy if I had to shell out the bucks? To steal your car example-- Would you really buy a car that performed like an M3 if it looked like an Aztek? Give me dyno tests and objective performance criteria--absolutely, but, also give me your opinion because, yes, Style, panache and all that other "holistic garbage" does matter. Just my 2 cents, fizz.
sennap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 12:55 PM   #67
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Touche

So what's the tag on your pair of blue jeans say? Sears, Levi's or Diesel?

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 02:37 PM   #68
sennap1
Founding Member

Default Re: Touche

Hugo Boss an Armani
sennap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 02:57 PM   #69
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: I see your point...

...but that isn't the point of doing testing at the motojournals.

The other deal is that no one would buy a Suzuki Madura unless it ran like Tammy Faye's makeup. It didn't and didn't sell well. The Suzuki Hayabusa sells despite it's nickname, "Eyeabuser". Ditto for the "duck on drugs" R1150GS. Why? Because in their category, they perform the best.

No one buys ugly motorcycles, unless they have "Harley Davidson" on the tank.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:59 PM   #70
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: That last line should read

No one buys ugly motorcycles with poor performance unless...