Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-12-2002, 04:45 PM   #41
v2-90
Founding Member

Default upcoming M vs. SV comparo

Regarding a comparison "pending" between the SV and a M620:

It all depends on what you want - but a comparison between the SV650 and a Monster 620 is not a fair comparison. The M620 is an air-cooled, 2-valve, 5-speed, while the SV650 is a water-cooled, 4-valve, 6-speed. The SV has higher compression, although the M620 is quite a bit higher than its other Pantah bred Monster brethren - perhaps to squeeze out more HP?...

Regardless, I would be dumbfounded to read a comparo result in which the M620 was rated better than an SV650. The M620 is just outclassed, outgunned, and underpriced by the SV. I think I can speak to this with some authority here - I own a 1999 M900 and I also own a 1999 SV650.

If MO wants to have a more accurate comparo between SV and Desmo, at least compare the SV against the M750. At least the Ducati brand will have somewhat of a fightin' chance - although I will still place my bets on the SV, compared to the M750.

blah.blah.blah.

v2-90
v2-90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2002, 05:26 PM   #42
dcopp
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Monster 620 i.e. Reader Feedback

itchface... Yea veryly, I talked to a guy who had bought a Duc 600 Monster, he said that he would never buy another one for the very reason you speak of, I looked at Aprilia and Duc, and the Duc guy was finally honest with me; Tune ups are more expensive than insurance. The other guys I know who own Ducs, they only ride them during Super Bike weekend. They look so cool, but they are just not for those with shallow pockets, or tight ones.
dcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 06:48 PM   #43
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

I say, it's

All right now.

You've learned your lesson well.

I say, race stuff flies

like a brick, but

bike comparos sell.

yeah, Bike comparos sell.

It smells like the next budget comparo: "Attention K-Mart Shoppers....Oh, Wait" is shaping up.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:15 PM   #44
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default UNfair SV comparo?

One wrote that he would be "dumbfounded" at any SV/M620 matchup that had the Duc winning?

QUE?

The forthcoming comparo: "Quien es mas macho?!" will remind all of you that the water-cooling system on the SV adds up, as do the extra cubes, to a certain extent. It is bound to be the noticibly heavier of the two...remember, it's not power, it's power/weight ratio.

And, too, recall that the design philosophy for neither of these bikes is top speed. Rather, they are designed to HANDLE first and formost, with enough acceleration to take advantage of the handling. To wit: the monster's forks are not filled with baby poo. I'm not speaking of adjustability, but of how they work.

Virtually everyone larger than 175# or so (including the guys at MO, and Motorcyclist, and Sport Rider) all say the SV's forks work like a Slinky. Conversely, when was the last time you saw Forty-Three mil forks on anything not an open-classer or full bagger?

If buyers of these bikes were REALLY concerned about outright aceereration or top speed as TOP priorities, they would likely have purchased different bikes, like liter-twins, or liter-fours (albeit used ones, in this price range...but some well-kept 2-4 year-old bikes can be had for the thick end of 5k.)

But for HANDLING, five'll-getcha-ten it goes to the Monster.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:31 PM   #45
Randy_Andy
Founding Member

Had one for a few days and 2500km. Quite frankly not impressed. No brakes, handles very average, fuel economy sucks, price about twice as much as the technology warrants and the seat is the worst in the world. The nuts that fell off all over the place, were nearly joined by mine. Hated it after an hour and couldn't give it back quick enough. Check it out before you buy guys and gals.
Randy_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 07:41 PM   #46
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: UNfair SV comparo?

Exactly! If all you do is read a spec sheet then the Bimota V-Due is the greatest thing ever...
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 07:44 PM   #47
TheFox
Founding Member

I ride the carburated 750 and it fits me perfectly at 6'3" -- I know the 620 has a few inches lower of a seat height. The seating position is just leaned forward in that cool "streetfighter slouch". I do have unusually short legs and long arms for my frame though. I sat on a 998 for a few minutes at the bike show last weekend and was wonder what all the complaints about ergo's were coming from. By the same token, I couldn't fit when I tried to tuck in behind an GSX-R 1000's screen and found the R1 very uncomfortable for some reason. Go figure.

By the way, passenger accomadations on the Monster are rather spartan. Nice grab handles but the pillion seat is tiny. Just though you might like to know if you take your future wife for rides.

I'm male. You get looks when you introduce yourself as Foxy though. Just an old nickname.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 07:48 PM   #48
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Chicago Motorcycle Center

The Ducati dealership on Western Ave. on the north side of Chicago got my bike done same day in the middle of summer. Very timely and a lot less expensive than I though it was going to be.

My valves held spec on my 3000 mile service; they said that they usually don't need adjustment until the 6000 mile.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 08:20 PM   #49
LOSTinSPACE
Founding Member

My Hawk GT will smoke this thing!
LOSTinSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:08 PM   #50
Gabe
Registered Member

Default To you Sir, I say: Ha!

My SV with $1000 worth of suspension mods will make pee-pee all over a 620 ie. In fact, it will pee-pee all over the M750, as well as the 750 SS. And a 900 will just barely stay ahead, if it isn't too old. But hey, theyr'e about $4k more than an SV, so we can count those out. The S4? A $12,000 naked commuter bike? Wha?

Yes, I admit, it pisses me off that Suzuki puts cheapo suspension and brakes on the SV. But shoot, they have to cut corners somewhere to make a bike like this for $5799! Aluminum chassis, swingarm, dual discs, 41 mm forks, liquid cooled, 4-valve motor (why does Ducati charge $13k for their cheapest liquid cooled bike? Are Italian radiators made of some kind of rare metal?) and- I think the most telling feature of all- swingarm stand spools and steering damper lugs! What? None of that on the Duc? Why? Isn't Ducati known for their racing heritage? How come they don't want to build a cheap club racer? Is it because they know their air-cooled motors are about as competitive as Billy Barty in the NBA?

As far as weight, the SV and Monster weigh about the same, although I think the SV is lighter. Kinda weird, huh? A liquid cooled bike with a much larger frame, but lighter. Hm.

And suspension quality? Like Boge is top-notch stuff? Cheapo! And just because forks are upside down doesn't make them automatically better. And in any case, any rider serious about sport riding will change or modify the stock suspension first thing, so it doesn't count. It's like comparing the stock tires. (Are those D205's on the 620? Ew!)

Also, the Monster has pegs and pipes that drag at street speeds, a joke of a passenger seat, and a general layout that makes modifications tricky- look at the massive footpeg brackets! And power? 60 hp my ass!!! 50 at the wheel, which will just about hang with an EX500. An SV will give you an honest 65-70 hp at the wheel. (But Ducati would claim 80.) Sure, the target market for this bike doesn't demand big power, but they want SOME power- 50 HP just doesn't cut it these days.

Of course, it does offer a two-year warranty. But why have a two-year warranty? Maybe because it NEEDS a two-year warranty! My SV has run 14,000 miles in 18 months without a hitch, but my buddy's 748 (sweet bike!!!) hasn't run for two months. Something about an ECU. I think the dealers run the warranty out by pretending the parts aren't in, keeping the bikes safely parked where they can't run up the miles and suffer the envitable mechanical failures.

But Ducs have more character...or do they? They certainly demand more from their riders! But as far as character goes...last year, my 748-riding buddy and I did a track day together. I let him take my M4-equipped bike out for a session, and another friend took the 748 out. I stood and watched with a group of Ducatisti. They oooed and aahed as the 748 and all the other Italian machinery zipped around the track, and came into sight around a bend as the distinctive V-twin boom echoed off the hills. "Here comes that 748! Those Termignonis sound great!" said one guy with a Ducati hat. But what came into view, tearing past an R1 on the corner exit? My beat-up SV650! We all pretended to forget the remark...

All motorcycles are great! But they are just motorcycles, and made of the same stuff. You should pay the least for the most features, and measured by such objective criteria, the 620 will fall far short of the SV, even a stock one.

Of course, the SV doesn't say "Ducati" on the gas tank. I'll just buy the hat.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote