Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-01-2002, 04:54 PM   #1
bimota
Founding Member

Default Re: 954 vs R1 Reader Feedback

Am I crazy or is this not a pay per read story? Anyway, why is Honda still putting out bikes that are just barely at 130 rwhp, and under 70 ft lbs of torque? I know much past 130 is completely unusable on the street, but horsepower sells. These number are barely better than the 929. Did they really improve mid range torque and handling that much? Or is Honda just a year behind still?
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2002, 05:41 PM   #2
Vlad
Registered Member

Have we uniformly gone crazy? I know it is heresy, but We don't need these bikes, either of them. I would rather have something that is tractable, with a good handful of horsepower (about 100 at the shaft) and enough of an edge to it that it can handle any street, road or highway I need to handle. The 954 and R1 bikes are exercises in excess. All that power strikes me as unusable on any street.

Oh, I guess I just identified myself as a VFR owner. By the way, Honda, if you could just get the VFR's weight down, it would be an even better bike. Until you do, I guess I'm going to keep riding my 1998.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 07:25 PM   #3
Huss
Founding Member

Just curious, how many miles were both bikes showing when they were dynoed? Maybe the Honda will loosen up nicely after a few thousand are on the clock. I'm assuming the Yamaha is your long-term bike with all the break-in mileage already taken care of.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 08:10 PM   #4
minime
Founding Member

Actually, the Yamaha and the Honda are both relatively low-mile examples. Though we did have a Champion's Edition R1 last year, the one we have currently is a different machine with only a few hundred miles on it -- roughly the same mileage, in fact, as the CBR954 Honda supplied us with.

As always, break-in of the bikes is handles by the manufacturer. Wouldn't truct us to do that and, frankly, we wouldn't either!
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 08:22 PM   #5
noble1
Founding Member

Default ...it can handle any street, road or highway I need to handle.

Can someone please explain something to me?

I understand that, in their most common usage, they probably rank right up there as "excercises in excess", but why is the VFR considered by many to be the "ultimate" sport-tourer when there are such excellent bikes as the Blackbird and the Hayabusa (recently added optional hard-bags aside)?

Let's review the specs, shall we?

VFR800FI (2002 from MO.com):

472 pounds dry weight (483 with ABS)

Max Power = 97.8 hp @ 10,700 rpm

Max Torque = 53.5 ft/lbs @ 8,900 rpm

5.8 gallon fuel tank

CBR1100XX (1999 from MO.com):

492 pounds

139.9 hp (measured)

90 ft-lbs (claimed)

6.3 gal tank

GSX1300R (1999 from MO.com):

478 lbs.

152.2 hp @ 9400 rpm (measured)

102 ft-lbs @ 7000 rpm (claimed)

5.5 gallon tank

For nearly the same weight and gas tank size, the latter two vehicles make both more torque and horsepower... (and from experience I can vouch for the comfort of the Hayabusa's riding position and I have heard good things about the Hondas, too). So why aren't they considered to be better sport-tourers?

Disclaimer: I've never ridden either of the Hondas mentioned here so I can't make direct comparisons (though I did have a CBR1000F).

Thanks.

(Of course, this should probably go on some other board about some other bike - like the VFR - but the above message brought out this question that I've been wondering for some time. Your tolerance is appreciated.)

noble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 08:37 PM   #6
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: ...it can handle any street, road or highway I need to handle.

Because it's red. No, actually I agree and the CBR and the Hiyasideyou have centerstands too (optional for the Suzuki). The VFR does have alot more legroom than the CBR, but what about also including the ZX-9 (again similar weight, waaay more power and better suspension), or the FZ1 (less weight, better suspension, waaay more power, waaaay cheaper) or, or....
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 09:44 PM   #7
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Need this???

You say " I would rather have something that is tractable, with a good handful of horsepower (about 100 at the shaft) and enough of an edge to it that it can handle any street, road or highway I need to handle."

I say that if these new supersports are a bit over the top for you why not get any of the big four standards (Bandit, ZRX, 919, or FZ1), and save 2-3grand, have 20 more horse, weigh 20-30 lbs less, and use the spare change to get a riding suit and a set of bags to tour in comfort?

Oh, I guess I just identified myself as a ZRX Owner!

BTW- Not knocking your VFR. I think that they are fine machines. I am just challenging your reasoning.
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 04:05 AM   #8
jmeyn
Founding Member

The dyno trace on the R1 is a mess compared to the smoother 954; any thoughts on why?

The planted front end of the Honda compared to the R1 on low gear acceleration should be expected because of the 10 cm seat movement this year. Given that the lb/hp are about the same, the 954 can accelerate faster because it's limitted by traction while the R1 is limitted by lift-off.

Wonderful bikes, aren't they?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 04:08 AM   #9
ram
Founding Member

Guys, get real...

So it takes 110 precent focus to make the old gixxer No.1

Maybe, but if you want to ride any of those bikes, you can't give it less then 110 precent.

1+1 = Gixxer is the king...

Nice try Honda, next year make it 955...
ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 04:12 AM   #10
jmeyn
Founding Member

Especially when the manufacterers recommend 500-1000 miles of painful tach watching to us squid. (Squid is the plural of squid)
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote